Welcome to Our WirelessAdvisor Community!

You are viewing our forums as a GUEST. Please join us so you can post and view all the pictures.
Registration is easy, fast and FREE!

Using an Alltel phone in a non-Alltel service area

Discussion in 'Central US Wireless Forum' started by lconnor, Aug 16, 2008.

1. lconnor

lconnor New Member

I am currently living in Iowa. My boyfriend lives in Virginia. Because we were spending a fortune on phone bills, he's added a line to his Alltel plan and sent me the phone, which he's added to his circle. It's my understanding that the "Circle" is only in effect if I'm not roaming, but I can't seem to get the phone to do anything but roam here. Verizon is a huge carrier here and I was under the impression that we would be fine with me using the Verizon towers here under their cooperative roaming plan, but I'm afraid to use the phone since it says it is still roaming.

I've set the phone to it's Plan A, which I took to mean that it will only operate in it's home area and/or if it is using one of their preferred roaming partners. Am I wrong in this, and does the phone still show it is roaming even if it is using one of their roaming partners? If that's true, can someone tell me how I can be sure I don't use it outside of this area and inadvertently run up a huge bill?

Thanks for any help anyone can give. There is no Alltell location here at all that I could visit to ask these questions and I'm not sure my boyfriend knows any better than I do :)

2. KyleAndMelissa22

KyleAndMelissa22 Woot Woot, Splat !!!

Cell Tower Picture Gallery:
    My Phone:
    LG Lucid 3 / G4
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Verizon Wireless (SID 299, NID 173)
    My Circle does work while roaming in most places nationwide.
    If the roaming indicator is blinking, you're good.
    You're on a preferred roaming system, and will not be charged, this is free roaming.

However, if the roaming indicator turns solid, which is rare in most of the country,
    then don't use the phone, as it will cost 99 cents per minute (59 for roaming, 40 for Long Dist.).

I was in the Bay Area, California last week roaming on Verizon & Sprint's network,
    and used my phone like I do at home, like 2,000 My Circle minutes that whole week.

But then I went to Yosemite Park, and there was no signal anywhere in the park.
    But just outside of it to the west is Golden State Cellular, and the roam indicator was solid.
    what a bummer after not having signal all day :(

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  3. lconnor

lconnor New Member

Thank you so much for taking the time to respond. The roaming indicator is blinking, so I guess we are fine :)

Have a great weekend!

4. Cailiff04

Cailiff04 Senior Member

My Phone:
    Samsung Galaxy S5
    Wireless Provider(s):
    AT&T
    Lconnor I had the same question when i had my alltel plan last year....I had to call and ask about the roaming indicator and to see what it meant...but be careful because some providers can turn off your service if you spend I beleve 80% or more a month or over time I'm not exactly 100% sure how that works roaming...Please anyone if i am wrong...correct me..cuz i am human and make mistakes!! LOL :)

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  5. Cailiff04

Cailiff04 Senior Member

My Phone:
    Samsung Galaxy S5
    Wireless Provider(s):
    AT&T
    BTW...kyleandmelissa22 I LOVE THE DEFAULT PIC!! VERY PRETTY SCENERY!! :) :) :)

6. ta206

ta206 Junior Member

My Phone:
    E815
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Alltel
    If you both have Alltel phones he wouldn't have to set you into MyCircle. You get free mobile to mobile within the Alltel calling system.

7. KyleAndMelissa22

My Phone:
    LG Lucid 3 / G4
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Why thank you :), that is Mono Lake, California, near Yosemite NP.
    I was there a week ago and took that gret pic. :D.

8. KyleAndMelissa22

My Phone:
    LG Lucid 3 / G4
    Wireless Provider(s):
    I think Alltel's roaming rules are not strictly enforced.
    You'd have to be roaming 80-100% of the time for at least 6 months.

The big factor is how much you use your phone.
    They'll probably cancel the people on the phone like all the time, who roam 80-100%.

Others who roam 100% of the time, but barely use the phone may not be cancelled.

If you are still not sure if they'll cancel you for roaming too much,
    call Alltel CS and let them know your situation, this might help.

9. music4praise

music4praise Senior Member

My Phone:
    Motorola W766
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Verizon, Ting
    CS won't know for certain. They would probably just recite the policy. It depends on system audits detecting roaming to an extent that Alltel deems excessive. They reserve the right to enforce a 50% rule but in practice it is not often enforced.