Welcome to Our WirelessAdvisor Community!

You are viewing our forums as a GUEST. Please join us so you can post and view all the pictures.
Registration is easy, fast and FREE!

Using a T-Mobile Phone in Europe with Cheaper Rates? Is it Possible?

Discussion in 'T-Mobile Forum' started by Gamer03, Nov 30, 2004.

1. ZaphodB

ZaphodB Signal Go Down De Hole...

My Phone:
    LG VX5600
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Verizon(US) Orange(FR)
    Just a year, 1989-1990 -- I went to the international school there.

I loved Geneva -- especially the shopping area near the Gare Cornavin. Also, my doctor was on the Avénue du Chantepoulet. (What a name for a street -- Singing Chicken Avenue!)

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  2. Andy

Andy Diamond Senior Member

Cell Tower Picture Gallery:
    My Phone:
    HTC Thunderbolt
    Wireless Provider(s):
    VZW, Vodafone D2, Solomo, Swisscom Mobile
    I also love Geneva-it's a beautiful city/ area to be in!!!

3. Andy

My Phone:
    HTC Thunderbolt
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Well, Well, thanks for that... They must allow national roaming on one of the national carriers though, because if they don't, at first while their network is still bad, they won't be able to sign up customers.
    I imagine it will be hard for them to compete against carriers like Swisscom who have a stellar network and, in general, very good reputation in CH, even though, Swisscom, for example, is very expensive. But it's worth it for me on my travels while there. I know that people can reach me wherever I am; I'm always on the road while in CH.

4. ShoresGuy

ShoresGuy Euer WA Experte in Europa

My Phone:
    HTC/T-Mobile MDA II PPC
    Wireless Provider(s):
    E-Plus (BASE 12 month flatrate)/Vodafone Germany
    Could be, we'll have to see how that provider does once service becomes available. They must be taking a lot of their time since they got the license last year already and 16 months is not that much time to build a full-scale network My guess is that they will improve once they see where their dead spots are.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  5. Andy

My Phone:
    HTC Thunderbolt
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Well how do they actually test their network, and configure it or whatever, if it's not active?? Can't you only do that when a network/cellsites are active? My guess is that they will first provide coverage in main highway corridors and cities, then go out into the boonies-maybe provide service there with roaming at first.

6. ShoresGuy

My Phone:
    HTC/T-Mobile MDA II PPC
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Agreed but the Swiss may be quicker :D. They'll have to work well up in the Alps if they want people to start subscribing/roaming on their network.

7. Andy

My Phone:
    HTC Thunderbolt
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Yeah, and the Swiss often pay more for something they expect to work everywhere, that's why most people use Swisscom, who is one of the(or the) most expensive carrier in CH. My Grandmother and Uncle in CH actually switched from Swisscom to sunrise, because of cheaper rates, but are switching back as soon as their contracts are up because of coverage reasons in the Alps where they often are. When I was with them this summer, some locations in the Alps they had to use my phone to make calls because theirs didn't work :)

8. ShoresGuy

My Phone:
    HTC/T-Mobile MDA II PPC
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Lol cool to hear, I wonder what coverage would be like on the Bodensee. It must be cool to have 12 providers (11 (4 German networks, 4 Austrian networks and 4 Swiss networks :D, now but 12 once InPhone gets going) to choose from :D.

9. Andy

My Phone:
    HTC Thunderbolt
    Wireless Provider(s):
    It's really cool! I have a friend who lives in Friedrichshafen and whenever I went to visit her and we went walking along the Bodensee I'd be network searching on my phone and registering on every network I could get; and also happily be receiving welcome SMS from that provider ;)

10. ShoresGuy

My Phone:
    HTC/T-Mobile MDA II PPC
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Lol but if you live there, you have to be careful to make sure you have the network search set to manual so your phone doesn't start roaming.

11. Andy

My Phone:
    HTC Thunderbolt
    Wireless Provider(s):
    True, but my D2 phone never started roaming anywhere on the Bodensee while still in Germany; their network should still be stronger than a signal traveling across the lake :) even though, especially the Swiss networks often showed full bars and making/receiving calls was no problem.
    :)

12. ShoresGuy

My Phone:
    HTC/T-Mobile MDA II PPC
    Wireless Provider(s):
    I think that the surrounding terrain plays a vital role here once again. I was in Friedrichshafen several years ago and the area is not as mountainous as say Lake Tahoe. I'm grateful for the fact that I don't live right on the border, otherwise my prepaid SIM would be out of money very quickly :D.

13. Andy

My Phone:
    HTC Thunderbolt
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Lol, yeah, that could happen, even though, again, I've never experienced that. But yeah, I'm sure it happens! While going to Germany by train this year I was stopped in Friendrichshafen at the station waiting for my connection train. My Swisscom SIM had already switched to a german network, but I manually switched it back to Swisscom and made another phone call to my grandmother before leaving. :)

14. ShoresGuy

My Phone:
    HTC/T-Mobile MDA II PPC
    Wireless Provider(s):
    What I found quite cool is traveling by ICE through Germany. The Deutsche Bahn invested in repeaters that strengthen the cell tower signals as you travel on the high speed tracks.

Most of the time, every ICE has the same cars equipped with repeaters whereas others are designated as quiet zones. This has made quite a difference. The ICE is also going to become more expensive since the Deutsche Bahn is raising their prices but with a BahnCard you can always save 25% (50 Euros a year for 2nd Class) or 50%. Of course, their high speed trains are well off but their regional trains tend to be late all the time or less equipped each time they buy new regional trains (so no bathrooms for example or no more full-service restaurants, now they have bistros).

Anyway, being able to get a stable signal on a ICE-3 going 330 km/hour is sweet.

[​IMG]

15. Andy

My Phone:
    HTC Thunderbolt
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Yeah, you're right. I heard about that before I left Germany, have not actually tested it myself though ;)
    What exactly do you mean by quiet zones? Do you mean that some areas of the train are not equipped with repeaters?
    Also, are those repeaters for all 4 national carriers?
    I traveled using a Regional train from the Bodensee to Ulm last summer and only lost the signal in some isolated, foresty areas.

16. ShoresGuy

My Phone:
    HTC/T-Mobile MDA II PPC
    Wireless Provider(s):
    The numbering system for the ICE train cars are the same for all trains. So that means that Car 21 on all ICEs is a designated quiet zone where you're not supposed to use your phone. So yes, the quiet zone cars don't have repeaters.

Yes, the repeaters basically just extend or strengthen the signals of cell towers as you pass by, the repeaters are not independent towers. So this is why all 4 providers' signals get boosted.

17. Andy

My Phone:
    HTC Thunderbolt
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Great information, thanks! But I'm sure that even on the Cars without repeaters your service is still good, unless you're driving through the boonies with such a high speed.

18. ShoresGuy

My Phone:
    HTC/T-Mobile MDA II PPC
    Wireless Provider(s):
    It really depends on where you are and probably also how fast the train is traveling. A Regional Express, an S-Bahn or even an InterCity train will tend to go a bit slower so that way a phone has less difficulty locking onto the next cell tower. Now with an ICE, the signal tends to get bounced around since the passing cell towers probably can't hand the phone over to the next tower so the repeaters most likely augment the signal by boosting the reception.

My educated guess :D.