Welcome to Our WirelessAdvisor Community!

You are viewing our forums as a GUEST. Please join us so you can post and view all the pictures.
Registration is easy, fast and FREE!

Using a Sprint phone on Verizon's network

Discussion in 'Northeastern US Wireless Forum' started by Guest, Jul 10, 2002.

1. Guest

Guest Guest

I'm thinking of purchasing a Kyocera QCP 6035 from eBay.

This phone was originally made for Sprint, but the seller has the unlock codes.

Will I be able to use this phone on Verizon's network?

I've called Verizon customer service, as well as a couple shops in my area. They said that I wouldn't be able to do it.

However, I read somewhere on these forums that someone was using a Sprint phone with Verizon's prepaid FreeUp minutes.

Can anyone give me some advice? Perhaps if I get the phone reflashed?

Thanks,

Rich

2. ComicalMoodyDan

ComicalMoodyDan Gold Senior Member

My Phone:
    LG Volt
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Sprint
    If the phone is a Tri-Mode phone and unlocked it is possible for Verizon Wireless to program the phone to there network but they will most likely not. So basically your answer is most likely no it will not work.

3. ColdSteel

ColdSteel New Member

Why wouldn't they? [​IMG]

4. IdiOTeQnoLogY

IdiOTeQnoLogY Bronze Senior Member

its kind of an unwritten agreement with carriers not to do this.....i think.......basically many carriers spend a lot of money to subsidize the phone purchases of customers and they dont want people taking them to other carriers......thus being an incentive on staying with a carrier instead of having to shell out money to get a new phone......this can be offset by finding great rebate deals and free phone deals from carriers when you want to switch and your old phone wont be compatible.

5. larry

larry Sprint loyalist and former mod

Cell Tower Picture Gallery:
    My Phone:
    Galaxy S8
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Sprint
    How would someone even obtain the lock code? I thought it was a randomly generated number.

6. ComicalMoodyDan

ComicalMoodyDan Gold Senior Member

My Phone:
    LG Volt
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Sprint
    I was wondering how he got the codes to unlock the phone also Larry. I've always heard Sprint PCS won't give you the codes at all. From what I understand they are one of the most strict wireless companies on this issue. Is that right Larry?

7. IdiOTeQnoLogY

i got my lock code legitimately....the first time u program your phone it is a one time code......anytime after that your true MSL number has to be used. the last week i have been having problems in my home calling area and after trying a few things they had me reprogram my phone.....thus giving me the MSL code....personally i don thave any use for it as i am not going to change carriers nor try to use this phone on another carrier's network.....just that there are occasions where a user may have to reprogram their phone and thus get the MSL.

8. larry

My Phone:
    Galaxy S8
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Sprint
    Once they give you the MSL code how long is it good for? Doesn't it expire?

9. IdiOTeQnoLogY

nope. it is unique to the phone from what i understand and is permanent. i could be wrong but this is what i understand.

10. scotty

scotty New Member

M S L as far as i know is Mobile Subscriber Lock, entering this allows the phone to be programed with the carrieers network info, they gave it to you so you could re enter the original SPCS network info, thus reprogramming it. Using that number one could enter in the verizon network information. if you pretend you were told by SPCS rep that you needed to call customer care, and that you where told that you needed to have the whole thing reprogrammed, then they will give the code, write the code down and keep it till you find a verizon dealer willing to activate it.

11. MTS2000

MTS2000 Junior Member

<< M S L as far as i know is Mobile Subscriber Lock, entering this allows the phone to be programed with the carrieers network info, they gave it to you so you could re enter the original SPCS network info, thus reprogramming it. Using that number one could enter in the verizon network information. if you pretend you were told by SPCS rep that you needed to call customer care, and that you where told that you needed to have the whole thing reprogrammed, then they will give the code, write the code down and keep it till you find a verizon dealer willing to activate it. >>

THIS WORKS!!![​IMG] I sucsessfully activated my Sprint Tri-Mode Timeport P8767 on Verizon's netowork. The hardest part was getting the MSL out of Sprint...but getting the right person at customer care is the key. It took five calls and about of hour of time.

The key is to get the MASTER lock code, as this will let you kill the PRL which is essential to getting the phone to work on someone else's network.

Once I reprogrammed my phone with Verizon's number and home SYS ID into the phone, it powered up and then the fun part...calling Verizon. I just called the 800 number from a landline, gave them my mobile number, and told them I bought a new phone off of EBAY. After the tech asked me what model phone it was and asked for the ESN, he changed the ESN in the switch. I hung up- the phone was active, but per his advice I should call *228 and update my PRL (which was deleted on my programming). So I now have PRL 50037 loaded in the phone and it works like a champ...really prefer the multi-colored display to the black-on-blue of the Star-Tac.

12. scotty

scotty New Member

it's good to here that my thoery proved true- have fun with that sweet peice of technology!

13. coalminer

coalminer Senior Member

My Phone:
    Blackberry Tour
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Verizon
    I am using a Sprint Kyocera 6035 on Verizon, there are a few things you have to change in the phone to get the prl to update. First once you have the msl, you have to go in there and change it to all zeros. that will allow Verizon's system to update it ( thier system assumes that there is no msl ) Also after you put the phone # and home system ID, you will need to dial *228XX, XX could be 00 to 07 depending on what band Verizon is on in your area. 00= A side, 01= B side, and 02- 07 for the 6 pcs bands. After going to the Verizon store to have my phone activated, and them telling me it wouldnt work, I proved them wrong, they just looked at each other in disbelief. It was a good feeling, I knew more than they did, hehehehehe.

14. bobolito

bobolito Diamond Senior Member

My Phone:
    iPhone SE
    Wireless Provider(s):
    T-Mobile
    Good for you!

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  15. IlKevinlI

IlKevinlI New Member

Do you think this would work with the Sanyo SCP-5150 ?

16. larry

My Phone:
    Galaxy S8
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Sprint
    Probably not because it's not a tri-mode.

17. Jack

Jack Silver Senior Member

My Phone:
    Motorola T720
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Alltel
    Would only work with the tri-mode phones that were/are sold by sprint pcs

Kyocera/qualcomm 2035/3035/6035
    motorola timeport 8767

Jack

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  18. IdiOTeQnoLogY

5150 would not work on verizon network because it is only 1900mhz cdma

19. Guest

Guest Guest

What about the Motorola v60c on Sprint Network?

20. WirelessBeachBum

WirelessBeachBum Soylent Green is People

My Phone:
    Thunderbolt...still
    Wireless Provider(s):
    VZW
    If you call Sprint PCS and tell them that you purchased the phone and are going to a different carrier and "force the issue" they will give you the MSL (Master Service Lock) "Motorola" or SPC (Service Programing Code) "Kyocera" with that code and the proper PST (Programming Service Tool) "software" your provider can reprogram the phone for their network. Most independant dealers are not going to have the necessary cables and software to reprogram your phones, but generally if you go directly to a company store they can reprogram it for you, but you should obtain the codes before you go because it's much easier for the salesperson to say no we cannot reprogram it than for them to have to take the time to get the code for you. (I've even caught some of my own salepeople giving lame excuses for not reprogramming a phone...pretty irratating.)

Part of my quarterly/annual bonus is based on Cost-to-Aquire (basically you add how much you discount a phones, with your advertising expenses and divide it by how many new customers you aquire), the easiest way to lower your cost to aquire is to have you customer provide their own phones. Sprint is not going to make it easy, because not only do they not give another company a chance to use that phone, but they also, generally have that same phone reactivated on their own network, thereby lowering their cost to aquire.

To "force the issue" if they do not give you the SPC demand a refund for the amount you paid for the phone...generally that will work.

21. WirelessBeachBum

WirelessBeachBum Soylent Green is People

My Phone:
    Thunderbolt...still
    Wireless Provider(s):
    VZW
    Also, The V60's are programmed by using a different software program than prior Motorola's, so if they don't want to support it you could have a tough time getting the programming completed...It's a cute little phone but, RF and battery life is pretty bad, I wouldn't recommend it for anyone other than people in excelent coverage areas. Fashion and Status are the primary uses for this phone...I haven't figured out why the RF is so poor on this phone but it could have something to do with using a case made of metal. It just doesn't seem logical...but then again I'm not an RF engineer, but I do have the opportunity to test just about every new CDMA phone to come out.

22. Guest

Guest Guest

Wait until you get your first bill..then you'll know why they said it wouldn't work. The joke will be on you when you're responsible for the outrageous bill, because you didn't listen.[​IMG]

23. kyocera2235verizon

kyocera2235verizon Junior Member

Hahaha ok, I'm just a little confused. :)

24. JasonRCL

JasonRCL New Member

so if i wanted to buy a phone from verizon and use it on the sprint network...how would i go about doing that? i want to get the new lg voyager

is it possible to use this phone on both networks simotaneously?

25. MeatChicken

MeatChicken Senior Member

My Phone:
    HTC ONE M9
    Wireless Provider(s):
    VZW
    Verizon will not activate service on a fone with a serial number not in their database known as a "VZW" fone. Period.
    Sprint most likley is the same way .

26. Bill Clinton

Bill Clinton 10 years scandal free....

My Phone:
    HTC Mogul
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Sprint, Unicel
    Well apparently Sprint is giving out MSL codes now so you could take a Sprint phone to Alltel of Verizon or another CDMA carrier and have it reprogrammed for use on that carrier. The carrier may not want to activate the phone however.

I don't think Verizon uses an MSL code, just 0's so you could bring a Verizon phone to another CDMA carrier if the other carrier would be willing to activate it. Sprint is training their reps to activate non Sprint phones from what I heard so you might be in luck.

There is no chance of using the phone on both networks at the same time. If you have a phone on Sprint you sometimes roam on the Verizon network but I don't even know how it work would to be running the phone on two networks simultaneously.

27. yarly

yarly New Member

Ok, say i got a Sprint version of the Moto Q from my neighbor up the street basically brand new she doesnt like it. (I am for free :browani:) If i got the code for the phone which i think i can (she works for sprint) and now they are unlocking phones, but anyway could i take it to verizon wireless (saying they would do it) and activate it on their network and have full capabilities with it. Such as, texting, pic texting, internet, email and all those other Moto Q goodies? Any feedback will really help. Thanks