Welcome to Our WirelessAdvisor Community!

You are viewing our forums as a GUEST. Please join us so you can post and view all the pictures.
Registration is easy, fast and FREE!

Use Verizon phone in Costa Rica?

Discussion in 'Northeastern US Wireless Forum' started by mikemadden, Jun 12, 2003.

1. mikemadden

mikemadden New Member

Hello --

I'm planning a trip to Costa Rica later this year and was wondering whether I'd be able to bring my Verizon v60i phone there instead of renting one. It seems like they use TDMA, not CDMA, in Costa Rica. Verizon's international travel plans don't cover trips to Costa Rica; seems they only let you rent through them for GSM countries. Anyone got any guidance? Thanks.

Mike

2. polonius

polonius Junior Member

ICE is the monopoly operator of both the GSM and TDMA networks in Costa Rica. The TDMA side does not have roaming with any US operator (except Verizon/Cingular Puerto Rico). The GSM side has SIGNED many agreements, including one with TMO USA (see ICE web site), however, the network supplier (Alcaltel) a few months ago announced a delay in launching international roaming and gave an expected date of July. ICE's web site says "en el segundo semestre del año 2003" (in the second half of 2003). HOWEVER, bring your TMO SIM in any case, because if you are lucky, they are already doing testing, and if you are really lucky, you will never be billed. Be sure you have an 1800 mhz handset! Also, they almost certainly offer pre-paid.