Welcome to Our WirelessAdvisor Community!

You are viewing our forums as a GUEST. Please join us so you can post and view all the pictures.
Registration is easy, fast and FREE!

Use the $25 tethered internet plan on Prepaid?

Discussion in 'Alltel Forum' started by WireNone, Jun 15, 2008.

1. WireNone

WireNone New Member

Hello I am new to wireless internet and the forum. I am glad I found you guys as this site has a lot of helpful info!

My plan is to somehow establish "unlimited broadband wireless internet". I just don't want to commit to getting an expensive data card or a data plan. I have been reading about tethering and would like to give that a try.

Here is what I am thinking of doing:

1) Buy the Samsung Hue r500 because it supports EVDO (right?).

2) I don't have much need for a calling plan (nor a contract) and so I want to activate the phone on the "Minute by Minute" prepaid plan.

...here is where I get confused

3) I want to use a "tethering" plan on my prepaid phone. Is that possible? Will it cost $25 per month and how will they
    bill me for that if my phone is prepaid? Is it required to have a monthly billed plan on contract for the tethering plan?

4) Data cables for the Hue seem to be few and far between. Any recommendations on where to get them from that also includes the software disc with drivers?

Any advice is greatly appreciated. Thanks!

2. MrObvious

MrObvious Senior Member

Ok lemme answer this one. I will need Brian's support on one thing I'm not sure about since he works in Customer Service.

A) The HUE is a good phone. Great choice.
    B) You can download the software from software.alltel.com for free.
    C) You can buy a cable anywhere online. However a V3M if you can find one or a KRZR or ROKR might be a better option since mini-USB cables are more plentiful.
    D) I would advise AGAINST prepaid. eww.
    E) If you don't want a contract, I believe (Brain...back me up here) you can activate with an outright purchase (full retail) of a phone or maybe even walk in. However a 2 year contract with insurance isn't that bad. Plus that way you can actually USE your phone without minutes running out.

3. WireNone

WireNone New Member

Thanks Mr.Obvious for replying!

I understand why you recommend getting a voice plan over prepaid, but I really don't have a need for it.

So I guess it's totally impossible to get an unlimited data plan on an evdo phone that has prepaid voice?

4. bikebryan

bikebryan Senior Member

I don't deal with prepay CS, but I have very very very serious doubts they'll let you add a tethering feature on your prepay phone - as that 's a feature that bills every month and you have no montly account to bill.

I may not be totally correct on that, but am 99.99999999999999999999999999 percent I'm right.

5. mframe

mframe Senior Member

My Phone:
    Pixel 3aXL, Moto G7 Power
    Wireless Provider(s):
    TracFone, PagePlus, TMO, Xfinity, H2O
    From what I can see on the AlltelU (prepaid) website, AXXESS WEB is available for $5.99/month, but this service also uses minutes. It is mainly practical for just night/weekend use (if you have the unlimited night/weekend option). AXXESS MINUTES is only available on postpaid, not prepaid.

6. MrObvious

MrObvious Senior Member

Just get the phone full retail and avoid a contract. Problem solved.

7. WireNone

WireNone New Member

Thank you all for clearing things up! Buying retail sounds like a good idea.

.... off to hunt down the best deal!

8. MrObvious

MrObvious Senior Member

I am glad I could help. Just the cheapest EVDO phone you can get would be awesome...in the current time the HUE is only $219. Plus I believe if you get it from the retail store you get a 1 year warranty as if you did sign a contract but that's IIRC. You may want to ask the rep.