Welcome to Our WirelessAdvisor Community!

You are viewing our forums as a GUEST. Please join us so you can post and view all the pictures.
Registration is easy, fast and FREE!

Use of IMEI Number

Discussion in 'GENERAL Wireless Discussion' started by GSMFreak, Jun 21, 2004.

1. GSMFreak

GSMFreak New Member

My Phone:
    Motorola V600
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Cingular (GSM Nation)
    I know a few of you on this forum work for a provider's CS department so I was hoping at least one of you might be able to answer this question.

When setting up a GSM phone with a carrier (Cingular in this case) you are asked for the phones IMEI number. I understand that the provider may download information to the phone - I've been told a number of times to cycle my phone on and off at least once a day for this reason, and that is one of the reasons that they need to know the type of phone and the IMEI number.

Now for the real question(s). The phone I have listed with my provider is one of a few GSM phones I use. Since each of the phones has a different IMEI number does this cause any problem with the provider when I use one of the non-listed phones? Will I still receive downloads? Besides checking to see if the IMEI number is blacklisted, why does the provider care about the IMEI number? What purpose does it serve? Does switching phones cause any problems with the provider

Thanks!

2. bobolito

bobolito Diamond Senior Member

Cell Tower Picture Gallery:
    My Phone:
    iPhone SE
    Wireless Provider(s):
    T-Mobile
    GSM was designed so you can switch phones anytime. I don't think they send any downloads over the air. Only TDMA/CDMA phones need downloads periodically.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  3. nerdslashpimp

nerdslashpimp New Member

My Phone:
    motorola v600
    Wireless Provider(s):
    attws, t-mobile
    I agree. As far as I know, IMEI's are simply used for inventory tracking purposes.

I do know that providers can do IMEI searches and see what phone is using what sim card, and if the IMEI's and ICCID's match up to what their system reports it as.

The carrier doesn't really care if you use different GSM phones, COAM (customer owned and maintained) devices are pretty much your responsibility, no warranties expressed or implied, etc etc etc. :browani:

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  4. GSMFreak

GSMFreak New Member

My Phone:
    Motorola V600
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Cingular (GSM Nation)
    Thanks for the info!