Welcome to Our WirelessAdvisor Community!

You are viewing our forums as a GUEST. Please join us so you can post and view all the pictures.
Registration is easy, fast and FREE!

USB cable drivers for Vista

Discussion in 'Alltel Forum' started by redorgreen, Aug 9, 2008.

1. redorgreen

redorgreen New Member

I have been using the LG 8600 tethered to my computer (desktop) using the USB cable (purchased through Alltel, came with the CD) for a while. Works great. Yesterday, buy a new laptop and attempt to put the Alltel program on there.... I believe that I have the CD in storage. I was able to go through the Alltel site (software.alltel.com) and download the drivers. Put it on a CD. I was not able to find the driver for the Vista programs, but assumed because it is relatively new, and with my fingers crossed, that it would work on Vista as well if I selected XP. Put it in my new laptop, unzipped the file, plugged in the USB cable and it is not working. When I plug in the USB cable, I get a message to search for the driver. I select the file that the unzipped file for drivers is located in. It gives me a message that there are no drivers at that location. I did get the laptop to open the CD, and started going through the motions of installing the driver and QuickLink Mobile. When I get to the screen that indicates I need to plug in the USB cable, it doesn't "see" the USB cable that is plugged in. The system that I use is my only internet connection. The laptop gives me the option of going online and trying to find it.... But, I can't do that because I am trying to install my internet connection. When I downloaded the drivers from the website, it was on my desktop, which runs XP.

Someone said to uninstall it, and remove the "bluetooth stacker" off of my Toshiba (what the new computer is) for this type of thing....

Can anyone shed any light on this???

2. MrObvious

MrObvious Senior Member

Do you have 64 bit Vista? Also are you trying to just tether? If so try making a dialup connection and use the LG device as the modem if it will let you. I have set up a few computers that way.

3. redorgreen

redorgreen New Member

It is 64 bit. I tether the phone to the computer to use as a modem (using the internet on my computer, not on the phone). The driver for the USB cable to the phone won't download. I have called Alltel and they told me that there is not a driver for Vista... for the LG. Apparently, there is a program for a few of the motorolas.

My computer doesn't have bluetooth on it, but I did buy the bluetooth dangle while in the store today trying to get someone to help me. When I hooked it up, it seemed to transfer pics and videos fine, but I have no idea how to make it work as my modem...

Any help would be greatly appreciated, like instructions for a way to use the LG as the modem (which is all I was doing on the XP machine).

Thanks!