Welcome to Our WirelessAdvisor Community!

You are viewing our forums as a GUEST. Please join us so you can post and view all the pictures.
Registration is easy, fast and FREE!

Apple US Special Ops Switching to IPhone

Discussion in 'Wireless News' started by viewfly, Jul 19, 2016.

1. viewfly

viewfly Mobile RF Advisor

My Phone:
    iPhone 6S Space Grey
    Wireless Provider(s):
    AT&T; Tmobile SIM only
    Knowing the Army, they probably use Samsung Android phones from the 1990's, and that's the problem - viewfly

"The U.S. Army Special Operations Command is looking to switch from Android smartphones for its Tactical Assault Kits to iPhones, according to Military.com's DoDBuzz. The switch away from Android, and specifically Samsung devices, is largely because the devices aren't reliable enough.

The iPhone is “faster; smoother. Android freezes up” and has to be restarted too often, the source said. The problem with the Android is particularly noticeable when viewing live feed from an unmanned aerial system such as Instant Eye, the source said.
    Specifically, Android will freeze up and apps will fail to refresh properly when viewing split screens with information on them. This forces the user to restart the phone, wasting valuable minutes. The source tells DoDBuzz that the same process is "seamless" on the iPhone and that the graphics are "clear" and "unbelievable."

The Tactical Assault Kits are made up of a system that links a smartphone to a connected network radio, allowing unit leaders to keep track of their own locations and the locations of their troops on a digital map. It's unclear which version of Android or which Samsung device the Army was using in the Tactical Assault Kit. In 2013, the Department of Defense approved the use of iOS devices for military networks."

http://www.dodbuzz.com/2016/07/15/army-sof-to-trade-in-its-androids-for-iphones/

http://www.macrumors.com/2016/07/18/army-special-operations-command-android-to-iphone/

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2. KevinJames

KevinJames WA's 1st retired mod

My Phone:
    Samsung S7-Edge
    Wireless Provider(s):
    AT&T & Verizon
    I've got the admit, with the first iterations of Samsung smartphones I had, "hanging" and delayed responsiveness was a huge issue. The Note 3 was very responsive until the OS started crashing left and right (within the last year). And it was especially irritating when I was trying to navigate somewhere. (In order to save money, Kaiser Permanente strategically places key services throughout the greater Stockton / Modesto area. My urologist is one small town in a hospital they bought. My oncologist is in Stockton at a major medical office there (that doesn't actually include a "hospital"). Major surgeries are in Modesto. Its a bummer to have to travel so much but after more than 20 years with them I've gotten used to it. The sooner I get my new phone the better.)

3. dmapr

dmapr Gold Senior Member

My Phone:
    Pixel XL
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Verizon Wireless; MTS
    Supposedly they're switching from Note II to iPhone 6s. I imagine around 2020 we will see them switching from iPhone 6s to Note 11…

charlyee and KevinJames like this.
  4. KevinJames

KevinJames WA's 1st retired mod

My Phone:
    Samsung S7-Edge
    Wireless Provider(s):
    AT&T & Verizon
    @dmapr: Quite honestly, as much teasing as I dish out and take, it really is inconsequential to me. The only reason I stick with Samsung Note is because of its stylus and supporting software. The only reason I started with Samsung was because, at the time, they were significantly less expensive than iPhone. Even though I worked for AT&T in their corporate offices in IT, even though I made what I considered to be very good money, I just wasn't an Apple fan.

Over the years of being on the board, and just in talking with friends I know, I realize that like our cars and cuisines, our phone choices can be and are a very personal thing. I'm glad for people that like their Apple products. I'm glad for anyone that is happy with their choices. Its been a while since I've said it here (and it was here I first said it): "This isn't religion, this isn't your country is better than mine, this isn't a huge moral or ethical issue. Its just a phone."

5. RadioRaiders

RadioRaiders RF Black-Belt

Cell Tower Picture Gallery:
    Wireless Provider(s):
    GSM / WCDMA /LTE
    If I was a Spec Ops guy, I'd want a water-proof Sony or Samsung device. I'd hate to ruin the mission because I dropped my iPhone in the toilet and fryed it ;)

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
    KevinJames likes this.
  6. viewfly

My Phone:
    iPhone 6S Space Grey
    Wireless Provider(s):
    AT&T; Tmobile SIM only
    My wife's iPhone 6 was in the toilet for 30 minutes or so. It worked fine for 6 months before the battery had evidence of reduced capacity by approximately 50%, and Apple replaced it for free under AppleCare.

Ignorance is bliss, RR. Electronic boards today make use of water proofing technology without any advertising fanfare. And that is the case with Apple, until they are good and ready to make a 'thing' of it, but they are already there.

See the article at the link http://www.wired.com/2015/10/waterproof-iphone-6s/

"OVER THE PAST few days, you may have seen reports that the iPhone 6s and 6s Plus are waterproof. In fact, not just reports; there now exist multiple videos that show Apple’s new smartphones surviving extended periods of water submersion. Those videos aren’t fabrications or pranks. Apple’s new iPhones really do hold up under water, thanks to a brilliant new technique that the company quietly pioneered."

It might seem odd, then, that Apple hasn’t trumpeted this water-resistance; surely its ability to survive a puddle dunking would have fit somewhere on the company’s marketing materials, or at least somewhere in its on-stage detailing of the devices last month.

Even if it’s largely invisible to its customers, that cleverness could pay off soon for Apple. “Now that you can pay a small monthly fee and get a new iPhone every year, Apple’s going to be getting a lot of iPhones back,” says Suovanen of the company’s new iPhone Upgrade Plan. “In the long run this may help them save money. Because the iPhones are less susceptible to water damage, they’re getting them back in better condition.”"

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

7. palandri

palandri Former Palm Guy

My Phone:
    Nexus 6P
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Project Fi
    LOL! This term, "Tactical Assault Kit" makes it sound like the Seals will be talking on iPhones during their next Bin Laden dispatch. :LOL:

8. RadioRaiders

RadioRaiders RF Black-Belt

Cell Tower Picture Gallery:
    Wireless Provider(s):
    GSM / WCDMA /LTE
    I'm not sure I get you. "Nearly waterproof" and waterproof with an IP rating are 2 different things. If current iPhones are meeting the standards of other phones like Samsung, Sony, etc, then why not just get the IP68 or whatever certification and make it official? Unless they aren't meeting those certifications, hmmm...
    But yes, when Apple finally catches up to the competition and releases a phone that meets international standards of waterproofing, I'm sure they will "splash" it across all the news outlets like they "pioneered" waterproof phones or something :LOL:

I'm expecting live video streaming on Facebook and up-to-the-minute Tweets on their next missions.... "pics, or it didn't happen" ;)

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
    #8 RadioRaiders, Aug 19, 2016
    Last edited: Aug 19, 2016
    palandri likes this.
  9. viewfly

My Phone:
    iPhone 6S Space Grey
    Wireless Provider(s):
    AT&T; Tmobile SIM only
    According to the DOD information in the links from the OP, the Special Ops units are replacing the Android Tactical Assault Kit (ATAC) with an iPhone Tactical Assault Kit (ITAC). Apparently if the Samsung ATAC units are freezing up/restarting during missions...they don't really care if they perform as poorly when in the toilet too! LOL

Indeed, the Special Ops group decided to dump Samsung's contract into the toilet.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk