Welcome to Our WirelessAdvisor Community!

You are viewing our forums as a GUEST. Please join us so you can post and view all the pictures.
Registration is easy, fast and FREE!

US Cellular or T-Mobile?

Discussion in 'Central US Wireless Forum' started by RyanM, Feb 26, 2003.

1. RyanM

RyanM Junior Member

My Phone:
    Motorola V3xx
    Wireless Provider(s):
    AT&T / Cingular Wireless [GSM]
    New Berlin/Hales Corners, WI

What do you think?

2. spanky

spanky Junior Member

what area code are you in?

from the t-mobile site - fine print:

"...Wisconsin area code 608 are shared networks. Residents of these areas should contact their local provider for service"

Not sure what this exaclty means, but it looks like a red flag to me - perhaps someone else could clarify.....

s.

3. Jimi77

Jimi77 New Member

My Phone:
    LG Vx8100
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Verizon
    In the areas you said. I would recommend US Cellular. As T-Mobile's network is almost 2 years old, and still has plenty of holes in Milwaukee. I was unable to use my T-Mobile phone around my home in New Berlin.(have since cancelled)

As for getting a (608) area code, you would need to contact Einstein PCS out of Madison, as T-Mobile roams off of them in Madison and Green Bay areas. The Einstein network is also how Cingular is able to offer the new Super Home plans in WI.

4. wyldekard

wyldekard Member

My Phone:
    Toshiba CDM9900
    Wireless Provider(s):
    VZW & USCC (for one more month)
    How is the data services testing going up there in Wisconsin? [​IMG]

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  5. cocoagirl

cocoagirl New Member

Which provider is better for a chicago resident (city)?

6. spanky

spanky Junior Member

cocoagirl -

It depends on what your calling needs/habits are....

If you plan on using your phone primarily in Chicago @ the suburbs, or when you travel, you stick to the interstates and your destination are larger metropolitan areas - T-Mobile is a good bet. Also - if you have friends on T-Mobile already - they have some great Mobile to Mobile calling plans.

If you need better coverage in rural areas, and need the safety of always being able to have cell service - US Cellular is a better bet. They have coverage in pretty much all of Illinois - north of Springfield. Also, your calling plan would include no extra charges to use your phone in most of Wisconsin and Iowa- and parts of Indiana & Missouri.

I'd say both have excellent coverage in Chicago, however, and it kinda depends on where you can get the better calling plan - US Cellular is offering some nice promotional plans right now - but T-Mobile has some decent plans as well. Cell Phone selection might also be a factor - Since T-Mobile is GSM - they offer completely different phones than US Cellular (for the most part) -

I currently use USCC in the Chicago area - primarily suburbs - and I am quite happy with it - but I also have friends on T-Mobile and they are very satisfied with their service as well

I see which company offers the best calling plan for the money, and see which company offers the phone or phones you want - and go with them - Coverage and service wise I think its a toss up between the two - IMO.

Hope this helps a bit....

s.

7. RyanM

RyanM Junior Member

My Phone:
    Motorola V3xx
    Wireless Provider(s):
    AT&T / Cingular Wireless [GSM]
    wow.. old thread still at the top.

i am 414/262 area.

8. cocoagirl

cocoagirl New Member

@ spanky thank you, your info was very helpful indeed. Another concern is that I get coverage that is good across the U.S. as I need dependable service when I travel.
    Also, I am cell phone terminology illiterate, what is GSM?

9. 100thMonkey

100thMonkey Junior Member

1. GSM - Global System for Mobile communications (ATT GSM in Chicago, T-Mobile everywhere, Cingular on West Coast, Carolinas, some parts of Florida)
    2. CDMA - Code Division Multiple Access (Verizon everywhere, Sprint everywhere, US Cellular everywhere soon)
    3. TDMA - Time Division Multiple Access (ATT everywhere still, Cingular in most places, US Cellular some places though they are converting all TDMA areas to CDMA)
    4. iDEN - Integrated digitally enhanced network (NexTel, Southern Link, Boost)
    5. and of course, analog (everybody but T-Mob, Nextel, and other iden providers)

So here are a whole bunch of funny initials. Depending on where you go on the web, there are endless debates about which one is best. Not the point here. Its like Microsoft Windows, Apple OS, Linux Red Hat, etc. They are all different ways of electronically encoding voice and data information. And they don't play together well. Cingular currently offers phones that work on GSM, TDMA, and Analog. If you need true nationwide coverage...without a doubt you want a Cingular GAIT plan or Verizon. Those provide the most ubiquitous coverage. If you are talking about traveling overseas (except Japan and S. Korea), then without a doubt you want GSM provider because most the world uses GSM. Japan and S. Korea use special flavors of CDMA that are not readily, currently not available in the US.

complicating the situation even more is bandwidth. Not only to providers have these different technologies, there are also different frequencies that they transmit on, like radio stations. originally, back in the 80's and early 90's there was 850 mHz analog (some people call 800, IT IS THE SAME THING). well, that got full of providers, so the FCC (federal communications commission allcoated 1900 mHz for wireless phones too) 850 is generally considered better becuase it goes farther and penetrates buildings better.

Chicago providers with 850 are Cingular TDMA and Verizon CDMA. Nextel iDEN too.
    from the link from the homepage of this prestigious website

I guess in the end it, it depends on where you spend 80 to 90 percent of your time. The best thing look at website and see who offers you coverage where you go. Then go buy couple of prepaid phones so that you can try out the services before commitinng to a contract.

10. cocoagirl

cocoagirl New Member

100th monkey-thanks:) What does buying a pre-paid phone entail? Am I purchasing a phone outright to try it for a few days and then returning it w/o penalty if I don't like it or am I missing something? What is the actual procedure?

11. spanky

spanky Junior Member

"Another concern is that I get coverage that is good across the U.S. as I need dependable service when I travel."

Depends where you travel - if you travel Nationally - T-Mobile is probably the better bet. They have coverage in most major cities nationwide. USCC does not, although you will most likley be able to roam on their network - which could end up costing you more money in the long run - uless you go with USCC SpanAmerica plan which has no roaming fees, but doesn't give you nearly as many minutes as you could get from T-mobile for you buck.

It also depends on how you travel - if you fly or drive major interstates - T-mobile is good (they have coverage on most major interstates- If your journey takes you off the beaten path, T-Mobile is bad - there is a good chance that you will enter an area not covered by T-mobile - and you will not be able to use your phone at all - not even roaming.

12. CubsFan

CubsFan New Member

I am an authorized U.S. cellular agent in the West Allis area. The data services are not available yet. Look like they should be up and running in two months. However, I can set you up with any one of U.S. Cellular's phone at the best price in town. If your interested, you can reach me at 414-588-5585. At U.S. Cellular, we currently have the best minute packages as well as coverage for the midwest area.

13. wyldekard

wyldekard Member

My Phone:
    Toshiba CDM9900
    Wireless Provider(s):
    VZW & USCC (for one more month)
    CubsFan,

What's going to be offered regarding the data services? Have any plan modifications or pricing been talked about yet?

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...