Welcome to Our WirelessAdvisor Community!

You are viewing our forums as a GUEST. Please join us so you can post and view all the pictures.
Registration is easy, fast and FREE!

US / CANADA PLAN and PHONE SWITCHING

Discussion in 'Northeastern US Wireless Forum' started by Guest, May 18, 2002.

1. Guest

Guest Guest

I'm a college student- in school in USA for 8 months, at home in Canada for 4. I can buy a Samsung SCH-T300 phone (any tips/comments/warnings?) in Canada for an incredibly low price, and get a plan in Canada for 4 months.

Verizon uses this phone as well.

=> Is it possible to switch the phone from Telus (Canada) to Verizon?

I'm thinking of getting two accounts: one in Canada, and one in the USA. When I'm using one, I'll put the other on vacation, and vice versa. While on 'vacation,' can I use the other account? Would I be able to program this into the cell phone myself or anything? (i.e. the various ID's).

When I spoke to a Verizon customer care representative, I was told that using the handset under a different company while on vacation was 'not possible' because of some serial number registration or something? Can anyone clarify? I'm willing to program my phone - if that's possible. Haha, maybe I can just go back to a Telus/Verizon dealer after being on vacation and saying that my phone 'doesn't work' and get them to reprogram it...

2. KevinJames

KevinJames WA's 1st retired mod

My Phone:
    Samsung S7-Edge
    Wireless Provider(s):
    AT&T & Verizon
    Backing up even one more step from the Verizon rep, I am completely unaware of any "vacation" condition for wireless plans. Verizon in the USA has only two ways to do business: PrePay and Plan.

If you chose a plan, they expect you to remain a subscriber continuously, through 12 to 24 contiguous months. Just because you are out of the country is inconsequential to them.

If you choose prepay, then allowing the service to laps for an extended period of time means that you loose whatever unused minutes you had before going back to Canada.

I can't speak to Canadian service.

3. Rich

Rich Bronze Senior Member

My Phone:
    BlackBerry® Style™ 9670 s
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Sprint- AT&t
    Well, I would give Nextel a call. Nextel has roaming agreements with Telus, and vise versa. Nextel also has some really great promotions going on right now and some really great plans, if you want some more info on this please feel to e-mail me.

PS. just click on the "glasses" icon...to e-mail me.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  4. bobolito

bobolito Diamond Senior Member

Cell Tower Picture Gallery:
    My Phone:
    iPhone SE
    Wireless Provider(s):
    T-Mobile
    How about plans that will let you roam in both countries? You may wanna ask if they have something like that. That may be cheaper than having two accounts.
    If not, I would think the best option is to have two phones or a phone that is capable of two numbers so when you move back and forth all you have to do is tell the phone to use the appropriate number since both numbers will be programmed into the phone. This way, there's no technical excuse.

If your phone is capable of more than one telephone number and they tell you they can't do it is because either they don't want to do it or because they don't know how to do it. A lot of reps simply don't know what they are talking about many times.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  5. Jack

Jack Silver Senior Member

My Phone:
    Motorola T720
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Alltel
    true some reps just dont know how to do it so they say that it can not be done.

Nextel is= 1-800-nextel9

or give verizon wireless a call they have a plan that you can travel in canada (same for at&t wireless)

Jack

6. Guest

Guest Guest

Thanks for everyone's help! I'm reluctant to go for a North America plan because of the rate. It would be, at minimum, $55/month, and it's not like I jetset back and forth between Canada/USA. I'm in either place for a pretty extended period of time. I'll go with Telus's plan for the summer (no contract), and then Verizon's America's Choice plan. According to several phone reps I called, there is no fee for calling Canada with America's Choice.

Re: the contract -- the Verizon rep(s) told me that I can put it on 'vacation' for $10 for up to 6 months.

And, I'll go for the SCH-T300 - it seems like a really cool phone. Plus, it's only US$120.

Two questions now:

Can I reprogram the phone in USA after this summer? Correct me if I'm wrong -- but I guess I need Telus's security code (183729?) to access MSC/PRL, which I can give to Verizon to reprogram along with the phone number. And when I come back to Canada, I can just input all the previous settings for Canada.

Next question: Is this phone compatible with prepaid plans?? It's not an 'offered phone' on Verizon prepaid.

Any other comments...?

thanks again for the help.

7. Jack

My Phone:
    Motorola T720
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Alltel
    you can use any verizon phone on prepaid plans

Jack

8. bobolito

bobolito Diamond Senior Member

Cell Tower Picture Gallery:
    My Phone:
    iPhone SE
    Wireless Provider(s):
    T-Mobile
    If the phone is capable of two numbers then there's no need to reprogram everytime you move since both programs will be on the phone. All you would do is to switch profiles.

9. Jack

My Phone:
    Motorola T720
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Alltel
    I would check into tellus mobility at

http://www. tellus.com

They have some options for us and canada roaming. either mike/cellular/pcs

with mike you roam on nextel

Jack

10. Dukedog

Dukedog Senior Member

If you can unlock the phone, it will be up to Verizon to activate it for you.

11. Jack

My Phone:
    Motorola T720
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Alltel
    ITs up to you but I personally feel that one phone with one service plan that can go back and forth between the us and canada to be a better choice then 2 plans etc.

1. It is much easier
    2. one phone # for people to contact you

Jack