Welcome to Our WirelessAdvisor Community!

You are viewing our forums as a GUEST. Please join us so you can post and view all the pictures.
Registration is easy, fast and FREE!

Upstate New York (Syracuse, Utica, Albany)

Discussion in 'Northeastern US Wireless Forum' started by Guest, Dec 9, 2001.

1. Guest

Guest Guest

My dad lives in Utica, NY. Does anybody seems to know how the quality of service of Voicestream is in Upstate New York especially around Utica, Syracuse, Albany? And which provider seems to have the best service in Upstate New York?

2. Guest

Guest Guest

I'd like to know if you hear anything. This forum seems more dedicated to NYC and NJ than the Northeast. I can't find anything regarding service in rural/semi-rural areas. Looks like several companies cover the 87 and 90 corridors although AT&T doesn't AT ALL! From my research, I think I'm going with VoiceStream. Just don't get their cheapest plans since they don't cover roaming and long distance. I'm hoping the $40/mth plan will cover me and my needs. By the way, I'm moving to the Schenectady/Albany/Saratoga area within the next couple of weeks thus the reason I am doing research.

3. Guest

Guest Guest

VERIZON (CDMA 800 MHz in many places, analog elsewhere) covers all of the areas anyone has mentioned here -- plus most of the rest of NewYork that no one has asked about. Rural areas are generally more likely to be served by Verizon than by anyone else -- although I'm sure you could find some isolated pocket somewhere that someone else serves better.

They definitely cover all of the metropolitan areas mentioned. I live in Connecticut. I travel into Upstate NewYork frequently (mostly the Syracuse, Old Forge, Watertown area via various routes and the Catskills and Adirondacks east). I have used my Verizon cellphone in all of the areas mentioned and along the NYThruway, the I-81 corridor, and along the Northway without difficulty.

Cellular service of ANY kind and from ANY carrier is 'iffy' at best in the mountainous areas (Catskills, Adirondacks). Better in the valleys near the roads and villages.

As for the specifics that I know: Except for very limited areas (like Binghamton) ATT is an 1900 MHz PCS carrier only in Upstate NY. There is NO other single 800 MHz carrier in NewYork. The state is 'balkanized -- largely between CINGULAR and Cellular-1 with a smattering of 'others' thrown in for good measure. Many of the systems don't even show digital service on their Websites. I have heard nothing good about Sprint (and if you read this and other fora, you'd avoid them anyway!). I have never used VoiceStream but -- based on their operations elsewhere in the NorthEast -- I'd be surprised if they have penetrated much of upstate NewYork outside of the major cities -- and possibly the major highways. Keep in mind all the other issues with VoiceStream -- specifically, YOU DON'T ROAM ANALOG WITH VS. If you leave THEIR GSM network, you have no service whatsoever. So if you're interest in in RURAL/SEMI_RURAL areas of upstate NY, they ain't for you......

Bottom line: If you're at all concerned with NewYork state STATEWIDE service (and the ability to roam outside its boundaries), go with Verizon. As has been mentioned on this forum many times, a cheap plan from any carrier is only good if you can use the phone where you want to use the phone......

4. milarepa

milarepa New Member

Third anonymous(posted 31 Dec)

Thanks so much for your complete discussion of the various coverages in rural areas in the Northeast. Surprisingly ATT themselves, when i called them, said they provide coverage to VT, albeit analog? Given your input and Verizons apparent superior coverage and competitive rates, I'll hold my nose(watch my bills closely) and sign, I guess.

5. milarepa

milarepa New Member

Third anonymous(posted 31 Dec)

Thanks so much for your complete discussion of the various coverages in rural areas in the Northeast. Surprisingly ATT themselves, when i called them, said they provide coverage to VT, albeit analog? Given your input and Verizons apparent superior coverage and competitive rates, I'll hold my nose(watch my bills closely) and sign, I guess.