Welcome to Our WirelessAdvisor Community!

You are viewing our forums as a GUEST. Please join us so you can post and view all the pictures.
Registration is easy, fast and FREE!

Upgrading to MotorolaV60g w/ Voicestream?

Discussion in 'Northeastern US Wireless Forum' started by tamrock, May 29, 2002.

1. tamrock

tamrock New Member

I really want to upgrade my phone to the Motorola V60g. I called the voicestream upgrade line and they are on backorder for that phone and won't take any more orders for it. However, they have the phone in the store, but will only sell it for new acitivations. The upgrade people said I would get a discount off of the reg. price of $349 depending on how long I've been with VS (a little over a year). The price with activation for the phone is $249 (still too much). I talked to an employee at the store and he said that I could just open a new account to get the phone and then cancel the other one (there would be no penalty since I've been with them a year already). The problem with that plan is that I didn't really want to change my number. I've found the phone online for $149 (after rebates), which is much more reasonable than the $300 or so I'd probably pay through the VS upgrade discount program. This would also involve getting a new number, but ...okay, here's the question (sorry it took so long)...If I get that new phone can I just take the SIM card out of my old phone and put it in the new one? If I can do that, then I was just going to cut the new plan back to like a $20 a month plan and still keep my old plan and my old number. Any thoughts, or other suggestions how I can get this phone??
    Thanks!

2. Matt

Matt Twin girls!

Cell Tower Picture Gallery:
    My Phone:
    MyTouch 4G
    Wireless Provider(s):
    T-Mobile
    Yes, you should be able to swap your SIMs, putting your old one into the v60g so you can use that as your primary. But I'm wondering why you'd cut the new plan back to $20 fpr a year....that's $240 on top of whatever you can get the phone for......just to get the phone *today* as opposed to getting it in a little while from VS for less? Being a customer for a year should get you at least $50 off, maybe more. I'm on the family plan and got $75 off after one year, $100 after two (the max).

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  3. tamrock

tamrock New Member

Thanks! I was just being impatient, but it will be more economical for me to wait. I also wasn't sure about the discount (they guy on the phone wouldn't tell me), so now I know I'll get at least $75 off. I'm not sure how much longer I'm going to have to wait though b/c when I called about the upgrade the guy said they had already been waiting for 4 weeks for the phones to come to fill the orders they already had. I hate this 3390 that I have and I'm not interested in the other phones VS has to offer (besides the v60), but I do like VS and would like to stay with them.
    Thanks again!

4. Guest

Guest Guest

Hi-I can't answer your question because I'm thinking about going with voicestream myself and getting a nokia 3390 which I see you have----I'd appreciate any feedback on voicestream and the nokia 3390. Thanks

5. Jack

Jack Silver Senior Member

My Phone:
    Motorola T720
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Alltel
    You will soon be hearing from aiwapro

he is a voicestream customer with the 3390 and is happy with the service and the phone

Jack

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  6. aiwapro

aiwapro Silver Senior Member

Here I am. The Nokia 3390 is a great phone. I don't have any problems with it.

The call-clarity is just great. It sounds like a land-line phone, and if you plug in th earpiece, you will often times find your self tlaking for hours, because you forget you are on your cell phone, because there is no static or anything, just crystal clarity.

The reception is great too. Though I usually always have full-frequency, when I do get down to one (1) bar of frequency, the call is still crystal clear, no static. The only time is gets static is when you have no frequency and do what I call force a phone call. If you are one the phone and go into a building that supplies no reception of anykind to the outside, leaving you with no frequency, then the phone will begin to static and after more and more static, it will hang up.

Voicestream Wireless (T-Mobile) is a wonderful company. I have had them almost two (2) years now, and I just love it. Service is great, coverage is great, and they give you more than any other companies in terms of everything: more minutes, Free Roaming, Free Long Distance, and more, for the same price if not cheaper than all of the other providers.

Please tell me more about what general area you are in and what you are looking for out of your service, and I and others will be glad to help you out.
    Watch out though, I will warn you; There are many Voicestream haters on here, who just absolutely cannot stand to see Voicestream grow. Why, I don't know. Probably because everyone has doubted them, and they are now going stronger than some other companies, but I won't speak on that. Just watch out.

7. Guest

Guest Guest

I'd stay away from the 3390 now that Voicestream is discontinuuing it. Granted it's a nice phone for a starter, but there are more upscale handsets that deserve respect as well. Personally, I prefer the N and Q105 handsets. Also, the new Samsung R225 looks very sharp, and plus it's internationally compatible unlike the 3390.

8. aiwapro

Those phones are nice too. Well it's like I said, it depends on what you want out of your service. What do you need? Do you need wireless internet? The R225 is a nice inexpensive phone. The backlit blue screen is nice.

9. Guest

Guest Guest

Q105 supports GPRS, by the way.

10. Guest

Guest Guest

3390 is a great budget phone for use in the United States, a hell of a lot better than the T193 (Why does voicecstream even bother selling that handset??). Comming from a TDMA 3360 user standpoint, my preference if I were to activate with Voicecstream would be to go with something other than a 3300 series phone, that's internationally compatible first and foremost. The R225/N105 offer international compatibility with a price tag of under 60$ through most dealers.

11. Guest

Guest Guest

Sorry, I meant to include the Q105 for under 60$ as well.

12. aiwapro

Are you sure about the Q105 being under $60? It's not even under $100.

13. Guest

Guest Guest

14. zeeker

zeeker Junior Member

My Phone:
    Blackberry 8800
    Wireless Provider(s):
    T-Mobile, Cingular
    tamrock
    Neophyte

Phone(s): Nokia 3390

Providers: Voicestream

Wednesday May 29, 2002 8:45 AM

<<
    I really want to upgrade my phone to the Motorola V60g. I called the voicestream upgrade line and they are on backorder for that phone and won't take any more orders for it. However, they have the phone in the store, but will only sell it for new acitivations. The upgrade people said I would get a discount off of the reg. price of $349 depending on how long I've been with VS (a little over a year). The price with activation for the phone is $249 (still too much). I talked to an employee at the store and he said that I could just open a new account to get the phone and then cancel the other one (there would be no penalty since I've been with them a year already). The problem with that plan is that I didn't really want to change my number. I've found the phone online for $149 (after rebates),
    >>

I have been with VS for 2 years now and I also wanted to upgrade to the V60. What I did was cancel my line (which was under my wifes name) and opened one up in mine. Got my phone in 2 days and was up and running. also I got at 100 dollar rebate so the phone came out to be 150.

<< www.getconnected.com has great deals on voicestream phones. >>

That is where I got my deal from.b

15. SweetBoXx

SweetBoXx Junior Member

I have the Nokia 3390 and I do not like it. It does not have the outside antenna, it has a buit in antenna, on the back of the phone, its a really cheesy phone for the price I paid for it( 99.00) , and it's reception is really poor. Plus trying to get the faceplate off to put the battery in, I had to pry it off with a screw driver, and ended up breaking it. You're better off going for a better phone. The Motorola's are much better, if they offer any. This Nokia is junk.

[​IMG]

16. bobolito

bobolito Diamond Senior Member

Cell Tower Picture Gallery:
    My Phone:
    iPhone SE
    Wireless Provider(s):
    T-Mobile
    In an area where the provider has problems you'll always get poor reception no matter what phone you get. I have the 3360 which is the 3390's brother and I think no other phone has better reception. I could never carry a conversation when signal was weak with the 5160, or the Motorola talkabout I had before. With the same weak signal in the same areas my calls are now clear and just refuse to drop.

I realize this is way off the subject but there are some things people need to learn:
    Internal antennas perform just as good as any other antenna if not better because other antennas you have to pull them out to get similar reception and other antennas get bent or break and costs money to replace them. Since signal reception improves when you pull an antenna out, people believe reception is better than internal antennas when an antenna is extended when in fact internal antennas perform like an extended retractable antenna all the time. And better yet, you don't have to worry about pulling them up or fearing that they will get bent or break. They are just a hassle. Therefore, when a retractable antenna is down, signal reception is much worse than an internal antenna.

17. aiwapro

No, your Nokia 3390 is junk. Mine performed just fine for a year, before I decided that I need a phone with wireless internet; That's when I finally sold my 3390. It is still working just aswell with the person I sold it too, as it did for me.

The internal antenna has been basicly proven that it doesn't provide worst reception than the ones with an external antenna. If they performed worst, then the manufacturers would stop making them. My 3390 picked up great reception.

Noone else has ever complained about the Nokia 3390 but you.

Sorry!