Welcome to Our WirelessAdvisor Community!

You are viewing our forums as a GUEST. Please join us so you can post and view all the pictures.
Registration is easy, fast and FREE!

Upgrading from Nextel phone to Sprint phone

Discussion in 'Sprint Forum' started by jacobib, Aug 26, 2007.

1. jacobib

jacobib New Member

Is it possible to upgrade from a Nextel phone to a Sprint phone without changing your number/plan? I assume the type of card is not the same in each, therefore it's not as simple as swapping the card from an older phone to a newer one.

2. RJB

RJB Gold Senior Member

Cell Tower Picture Gallery:
    My Phone:
    iPhone
    Wireless Provider(s):
    AT&T
    Yeah you can keep the number no you have to sign a new contract and get one of sprints plans.

3. Leese

Leese New Member

We switched 3 weeks ago. Just becareful! I was told there would be NO activation fee, but then my first bill had a $140 charge for our 5 phones. I was also told there would not be an ETF because they are one company. BUT I just got my last Nextel bill with a whopping $!000 ETF for the 5 lines. My Sprint salesman said if we did get any charges he'd get them taken care of. I called Sprint directly over the activation fees- which they kindly took off. I just got the ETF bill Friday, I called the salesman who said he would call Nextel right away, but he hasn't gotten back to me. So.....get everything confirmed before you switch. Doing the actual switch was easy, and a Nextel store should print off your contacts for you, to make it easier to transfer. Good luck!

4. Bill Clinton

Bill Clinton 10 years scandal free....

My Phone:
    HTC Mogul
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Sprint, Unicel
    Sprint actually wants Nextel customers to switch to the Sprint side. They are trying to get people off the old iDEN network and they make switching very easy. You can keep your number.

They shouldn't screw up and hit you with the fees. Lesse said to get everything confirmed first and that is good advice just in case Sprint accidentally overcharges you. The only time I had a billing error the Sprint folks were very sorry and they fixed it right away.

5. TelcomJunkie

TelcomJunkie Bad Handoff Investigator

Wireless Provider(s):
    Big Brother
    Leese, did you do this at a Sprint store or at an authorized reseller?

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  6. jacobib

jacobib New Member

Thanks for the replies, but what about when you want to switch in the middle of a contract? We have one year left on our Fair&Flex family plan. Is it possible to switch some of the phones mid-contract?

7. 1cooltreeguy

1cooltreeguy New Member

Switched our phones a week ago and it was easy - No fees- had to choose a sprint plan(s) - line was out the door with people switching. I think they are manipulating the towers to frustrate Nextel folks so they WILL switch. My nextel signal has been horrible ever since the buyout. :eek::loony:

8. jacobib

jacobib New Member

Anybody have some specific experience with making the switch on a family plan? In other words, switching one or two of the family phones but not all 5, in my case?

9. Leese

Leese New Member

I did it at an actual Sprint store. They say they are a corpaorate store but we are part of the IPCS network. The salesman said it had happened before where even though they are not supposed to charge you, they do. Now as I just hung up with him, he said they actually KEEP the ETF on your bill for 30 days to make sure that you don't cancel with Sprint. Ugh... it is hard to know who to listen to with these salespeople and telesales etc...

10. Leese

Leese New Member

When I talked with Nextel CS, they told me I could switch whatever numbers I wanted (just one, two etc) but you have to have a seperate Sprint plan. The only way to keep everyone on a Nextel family plan is to get the Powersource phones. We couldn't do that because we are part of IPCS . It would have cost us too much to have one or two on the Sprint side, and the remaining on the Nextel side. We have 5 lines as well, and it is hard to keep everyone happy. Do your research. If you can get a SERO plan, it might not be more expensive to switch one or two. Good luck!

11. Bill Clinton

Bill Clinton 10 years scandal free....

My Phone:
    HTC Mogul
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Sprint, Unicel
    SERO plans are fantastic but I don't think it is possible change an existing plan into a SERO plan. It is only a new line of service. If you are switching a line from Nextel to Sprint and you still have a year left on your contract, I am pretty sure that isn't a new line of service and you won't be able to get you plan switched to a SERO plan.

12. h1timmboy

h1timmboy New Member

My Phone:
    at&t 8525
    Wireless Provider(s):
    AT&T, Sprint, Nextel
    had a sprint rep tell me you can switch from nextel to sprint, without paying cancellation charges to nextel. Seems logical but anyone actually been able to confirm this?

13. TelcomJunkie

TelcomJunkie Bad Handoff Investigator

Wireless Provider(s):
    Big Brother
    It's correct. Why the above poster got charged is beyond me as this has been a routine procedure for some time. The only reason I can think of is the ETF-Free switch might be limited to corporate markets.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  14. Leese

Leese New Member

I actually just received a call back today from my Sprint salesman who got my $1000 ETF from Nextel taken care of. Why I got it in the first place I don't know, but I'm glad my huge bill is gone.

15. M in LA

M in LA Mobile 28 Years Plus
    Super Moderator Senior Member

My Phone:
    iPhone 13 Pro Max, XS Max
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Verizon (since 1994)
    Good. Glad they took care of that for you. Just to be on the safe side, check with them to make sure the ETF has really been taken care of.

16. WULLYBUTCH

WULLYBUTCH New Member

My Phone:
    NOKIA
    Wireless Provider(s):
    AT&T
    I believe the part about Nextel service going to crap.I have three friends that are on Nextel and all of them have said that the service went in the tank after the buyout or merger or whatever took place.They all said that they were not going to extend anything.

17. M in LA

M in LA Mobile 28 Years Plus
    Super Moderator Senior Member

My Phone:
    iPhone 13 Pro Max, XS Max
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Verizon (since 1994)
    It's getting to the point where the Direct Connect service is the only thing worth keeping Nextel for. This is what makes the PowerSource phones so cool. Sprint for calls, Nextel for Direct Connect. It's the best of both worlds without having to utilize Nextel for calls anymore, especially since their network is crap now.

18. SmArTeStChIlD421

SmArTeStChIlD421 Silver Senior Member

My Phone:
    Blackberry 8830
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Sprint
    yeah.................a friend of mine has Nextel............now i know his phone is crap............but i can tell that they have rebanded around here cuz he can barely get DC calls out anymore or they get disconnected or cut off in mid convo............really frustrating