Welcome to Our WirelessAdvisor Community!

You are viewing our forums as a GUEST. Please join us so you can post and view all the pictures.
Registration is easy, fast and FREE!

upgrade recommendations

Discussion in 'Alltel Forum' started by cyberburn311, Feb 22, 2007.

1. cyberburn311

cyberburn311 New Member

Wireless Provider(s):
    Alltel
    i have a moto v710, but it has been acting up on me lately...i am thinking of just getting a whole new phone. dont get me wrong i like my phone but there are a few things i want to get away from (that charger style being number 1!). I still have a good bit of time left on my contract. i can't afford to buy a phone at full price. i am leaning toward a nokia 6255i...ebay has some decent prices. i also heard that model has excellent battery life and the same features as the v710.

any opinions, recommendations, or thoughts would be highly appreciated.

2. cyberburn311

cyberburn311 New Member

Wireless Provider(s):
    Alltel
    also i want something with similar features, but i will sacrifice all features for best reception....reception is the most important thing to me.

oh and what is the place(s) that have the best prices and best quality

3. Shockwave13

Shockwave13 Junior Member

My Phone:
    Moto V9m RAZR2
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Alltel =)
    stay away from the Nokia 6255i that phone was rocked with issues. Though you might be able to find one for cheap and that actually works, trust me enough ppl had issues with it, you dont want to dig yourself into that grave. I would say if you dont like the charger style you might try to find a Alltel RAZR V3c or V3m... unless you just want to get away from Moto... basically Moto though is going to be the best for all around phone. Nokia used to be a really great brand till they started using another maker to produce the phones and just badge them as Nokia.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  4. Ironwalt

Ironwalt Junior Member
    Junior Member Senior Member

My Phone:
    IPhone5
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Verizon
    I will have to go along with Shockwave13 on this. Stay with Moto.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  5. dolphin_crazed

dolphin_crazed Junior Member

My Phone:
    HTC Diamond
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Alltel; Verizon Wireless
    ok I am going to defend the 6255. I Know 6 people who have it and love it. one person lives on an island by Kennedy Space center and he has no problem with reception. His T-mo phone barely got reception. And that was w/ a nokia or Moto.
    I will agree that it did have sw problems, and after a bunch of drops, the battery door and battery will fly out of it when it is dropped after that. but it had the least amount of things disabled than any phone I had seen before. Also, Nokia pc Suite is still a free download, I think.
    But that is my 2 cents. But I normally never hear anything but bad stuff about all the phones anyway.

6. strunke

strunke .:|Always Covered|:.

My Phone:
    Blackberry 8230, KRZR K1m
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Alltel, T-Mobile, Sprint, Centennial
    If you liked the v710, I would go with the Moto E815. The nokia 6255 is okay, but it isn't as good as either the 710 or 815.

7. UFO

UFO Bronze Senior Member

My Phone:
    Palm Centro
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Sprint and alltel
    Doesn't the E815 have the same charger port that the V710 did though? But I do agree that it's great for reception and battery life.

8. strunke

My Phone:
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Yeah it does, for some reason I didn't think about that. I'm not sure why it is such an issue to people. Just don't rip it out and it will be fine.

9. cyberburn311

cyberburn311 New Member

Wireless Provider(s):
    Alltel
    since day one i have been very careful with it but lately i have to play with it for a LONG time before it starts to notice the charger is plugged in...and sometimes it tells me that it's unable to charge

10. strunke

My Phone:
    Wireless Provider(s):
    That happened to my v710. I got a new charger and it worked after that. Although if the phone was dropped and damage was done to the bottom part of it or water got in then that could be the problem. Your charger might just be dead. Mine was about 1 year old when it happened....

11. cyberburn311

cyberburn311 New Member

Wireless Provider(s):
    Alltel
    i've gone through many chargers...it hasn't been dropped either....i just hate this charger style....i always have

12. strunke

My Phone:
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Are you trying to stay away from a contract? If you are not I would recommend the u520, or razrs. The new Moto phones don't have that charger. I just personally don't like the 6255, it has all the features yes, but reception is not as good as the 710 (not bad, but not as good). The overall functionality of the menus, etc are just not my taste. The design isn't as durable, generally Nokia makes great bar phones, only average to good flip phones. I have no idea why that is, but anyway that is just my opinion. It's just not really an upgrade, more of a slightly older equal to the 710. But if you really like it get it, it's not a lemon phone or anything and it's a good one to get out of contract.

13. cyberburn311

cyberburn311 New Member

Wireless Provider(s):
    Alltel
    no the contract is not my issue...i love alltel and wouldn't break away from the company...the only problem with the contract is that it would be more expensive for me to buy a new phone through alltel.

oh and thanks for the opinions i really appreciate it

14. Monkey Chops

Monkey Chops New Member

I would recommend the Samsung U520. Excellent features and functions including celltop, also has excellent reception. Also has EVDO and Bluetooth, a space for a memory card and a decent camera.

15. MOTOhooligan

MOTOhooligan Former Mobile Data Addict

Cell Tower Picture Gallery:
    My Phone:
    Motorola XT1929-17
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Verizon
    Celltop kinda sucks... it wasn't as impressive as I thought it would be. The u520 is a pretty decent handset and, for the money (currently $99.99 with a $50 mail-in rebate) you can't beat the features it has.