Welcome to Our WirelessAdvisor Community!

You are viewing our forums as a GUEST. Please join us so you can post and view all the pictures.
Registration is easy, fast and FREE!

update on vx6100

Discussion in 'LG Electronics' started by LRando, Oct 9, 2005.

1. LRando

LRando Junior Member

My Phone:
    Alias 2
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Verizon
    I have had this phone for 1 week. Disappointed. My last phone was vx3200. NEVER had no signal. Always pretty strong rf. The 6100? 3x in one week, no signal at all. A lot of the time 1-2 bars. I turned in a digital phone because of the same reason. However, at least w/the digital I could still make a call w/no signal. Not so w/the trimode. Unfort. nothing I can do for a year. As primary phone holder on family plan, they will let me get a new phone in a year. Although I "Thought" it was only every 2!

2. Andy

Andy Diamond Senior Member

Cell Tower Picture Gallery:
    My Phone:
    HTC Thunderbolt
    Wireless Provider(s):
    VZW, Vodafone D2, Solomo, Swisscom Mobile
    If you've had this phone you can go return it and get a different one. YOu have 14 days to try out a new phone and see if you're happy with it. Some people rave about the rf on the 6100, but everyone I know complains about it and dropps calls in places I have no issues whatsoever. I would go return it and get someting like a Motorola- even the cheap end phones have much, much better reception. Let me know if that helped.
    Andy

3. LRando

LRando Junior Member

My Phone:
    Alias 2
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Verizon
    I already changed in the samsung digital I had. I actually had the 5200 first but the voice volume wasn't good even on high. I swapped for samsung a670. DIdn't know it was digital. They allowed me to swap for 6100 only because verizon stepped in and said I didn't know about digital so I could swap once for tri mode. Which I did for the 6100. So I'm stuck. Only thing I could do was change back to my old 3200. ALthough when I turn that on now it doesn't seem to get as good rf as it used to. Maybe they're getting rid of analog towers in my area? who knows. But I'm stuck!!!

4. Jerro

Jerro Bronze Senior Member

My Phone:
    LG EV 3
    Wireless Provider(s):
    VZw
    If you old phone is also not getting good reception now its not the phone its the area. My 6100 works better than my old phone in regard to RF sensitivity. So do most of the people I know who have it. If you are dissatisfied bring it back. I you are within your trial period quit Verizon and try Cingular. Cingular is all digital. If you have real problems Verizon may let you out if you are over the 15 days. Of course you know that the 6100 is digital
    with the option of analog if needed.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
    #4 Jerro, Oct 9, 2005
    Last edited: Oct 9, 2005
  5. Andy

My Phone:
    HTC Thunderbolt
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Tell them this phone is crap too and a Verizon manager/supervisor you talked to said you could get your phone swapped out one more time for a tri-mode motorola. If that doesn't work, contact a supervisor via 611; they should be willing to help you when you expalin the problem.

6. Jerro

My Phone:
    LG EV 3
    Wireless Provider(s):
    VZw
    Hi Andy: it sounds more like the area than the phone.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  7. LRando

LRando Junior Member

My Phone:
    Alias 2
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Verizon
    I already swapped it after the verizon rep said I could. That's when I got the 6100. So I assume I can't change again. And if they did say I could change it, what would I get? How will I know what will work in my area? That's the hard part. All of these phones "Seemed" good when I tried them at verizon. There is no way to tell unless you use it for a while. And I really can't blame them for not letting you continuously swap them. I'll call and voice my displeasure and see what happens. I wouldn't even know where to begin w/a new phone. Digital didn't seem good, the tri mode doesn't seem to be great, what's left? Getting the new phone starts the contract over so I can't get out of it. Anyway I've always liked verizon. Been w/them since start of my cell phone usuage which was about 13-14 years ago? I just wish I got better RF :(

8. LRando

LRando Junior Member

My Phone:
    Alias 2
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Verizon
    the 6100 is tri mode. correct? That's what they said at verizon. I understand it uses digital and searches out analog if it can't find digital.

9. Jerro

My Phone:
    LG EV 3
    Wireless Provider(s):
    VZw
    I believe that the thread name should be "MY update on MY 6100." So as not to give that impression that a 6100 is problematic. Especially when the area may be the real reason that the service is not good.

10. LRando

LRando Junior Member

My Phone:
    Alias 2
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Verizon
    I think people would understand that this is simply ONE person's experience w/the phone. I went from MA to RI today. Did my own little experiment. I had both phones w/me. Both registered about the same amount of RF. There were 2 instances tho where the 6100 had NO signal at all and my 3200 had 2 bars. Also several times when the 3200 had 3-5 bars and the 6100 would have 1 or 2. So it is definately the phone. ALthough the both performed about the same, the 3200 def. kept a better RF overall. Again...only ONE consumers opinion. :p

11. Jerro

My Phone:
    LG EV 3
    Wireless Provider(s):
    VZw
    OK: if it indicated NO SIGNAL, as opposed to NO BARS, then you have a right to bring it in to the Verizon store and ask for another 6100 at the very least. You may have a less sensitive (what you call RF) phone. It happens.

My 6100 gets more bars than my old lg phone.

If with no bars, you can still make a call that may be another story. Bars are not the best indicator of a phones RF (sensitivity). A more practical indicator is to try to make a call with each phone. I have seen phones with no bars make calls where phones indicating 1 or 2 bars can't. Is the signal that you are getting digital? Analog will show bars in many cases where a phone cannot reply to the tower, so in some cases BARS mean very little, they are a guide line only.

12. LRando

LRando Junior Member

My Phone:
    Alias 2
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Verizon
    When I say "no bars" I mean I have that symbol of a phone w/ a line through it. If I try to make a call the phone beeps and says "no service." This is a tri mode. On any tri mode I've had, as soon as that last bar disappears, the phone w/the line thru it comes up. Thus as soon as you have no bars, you have no service. With the ALL digital phone I had briefly, I could still make a call when no bars were showing. I don't know if the signal I'm getting is digital. It just shows the bars on the left. I assume if it IS using a digital signal the "D" symbol appears. I have not seen that. I think all analog phones go to no service as soon as the bars disappear. For some reason the all digital phone is able to still make a call. I'll call verizon tomorrow. I'm sure they are going to tell me that all phones will do that occasionally. Not sure what else I (they) can do. Thanks!

13. Jerro

My Phone:
    LG EV 3
    Wireless Provider(s):
    VZw
    You mention a D for digital: the 6100 does not have a D. IT indicates 1X. for digital.

You can program your phone to be CDMA ( DIGITAL) only if you wish.

Whatyou can do is go to the store and ask for a more sensitive 6100 if the problem continues.

By the way have you turned the phone off yet? IF not do.

14. LRando

LRando Junior Member

My Phone:
    Alias 2
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Verizon
    Wow where is my head? I knew it was 1x and forgot. Yes my phone pretty much always says 1x. I turn the phone off at the end of every day. Recharge it at night. I'll call them and bring it by next time I'm at mall. Maybe there is something they can tweak it with. I'm also going to get a car charger because I read here where someone found that that will help get a better signal when on the road. Thanks for your help! :)

15. Andy

My Phone:
    HTC Thunderbolt
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Unless I'm mistaken, Jerro, the OP mentioned that with his old phone he never had NO SERVICE sign on his phone...

16. Andy

My Phone:
    HTC Thunderbolt
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Like I said- many LG 6100's are bad in the reception department. Sorry, Jerro, if your opinion differs or your experiences, but that's a general known thing that many 6100's are bad in the rf department, which the OP's tests show in his personal experiences. IF they let you exchange the phone again, get any Motorola or Nokia. You will be happier in the reception department.

17. Jerro

My Phone:
    LG EV 3
    Wireless Provider(s):
    VZw
    sure your not talking about the 6000?
    as to Motos, good sure, but depends absolutely on which Moto. Keep it simple, try another 6100.

18. LRando

LRando Junior Member

My Phone:
    Alias 2
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Verizon
    thanks for all the responses. I DO like the phone and find that for the most part it works well. I think I may just be more hyper sensitive this time around for some reason. Any other time I got a phone, I never looked at it this closely. We got my son a vx6000 a year ago. He likes it alot. When I was having all the trouble w/the samsung digital, I was cursing digital. Come to find out, his vx6000 IS digital and works fine. Shows you how much I knew about that phone before I got it! I have carried my 6100 and my 3200 together for a few days now. For the most part the 6100 is = to the 3200. Probably was just never that aware of what the 3200 was doing at any time. Heck I could have been talking on 1 signal a lot of the time. I DID notice that once when my 6100 had no service for about 10 sec. the 3200 held on to one bar. But overall, I am feeling better about the 6100. I will take it into verizon next time I'm by the mall. At least explain the situation. Sometimes I can be holding it and the bars will go from 6 to 3 to 5 to 2 all in 10 secs. OH and yesterday for the 1st time...I noticed the "A" for analog for about 30 sec. 1st time I've seen that. So I give the 6100 a better rating than I originally thought. I don't know how anyone ends up w/the right phone for their area the 1st time (or 2nd time) around!!! :p
    Thanks again

19. Jerro

My Phone:
    LG EV 3
    Wireless Provider(s):
    VZw
    Ok, thats progress; since the 6000 worked good on digital, then, why not have the tech at the VZW store (or you can do it yourself) turn off the analog? And since it is doing that (going to A) it indicates a area situation. The phone is trying to find coverage of any kind for you. Set to CDMA only it won't hunt for analog. If you want to do that its done through the service menu. Let us know. Regards from the suburbs of Phila.

20. LRando

LRando Junior Member

My Phone:
    Alias 2
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Verizon
    But if I turn off the analog, I would have had no signal at all at that point correct? I thought when there was no digital signal, it went to analog. If it tried to go to analog and I had digital only turned on, I would have had no signal, right?
    If I want to turn off analog, how do you do it? I'm a little nervous to start going in and doing stuff on my own. Is it simple?

21. Jerro

My Phone:
    LG EV 3
    Wireless Provider(s):
    VZw
    If analog is off, you of course won't get analog signal at all, unless you use "force analog" thats another story. But your 6000 had no analog anyway. So it will act like the 6000 in that regard. It will look for Digital only. In fact some who know say that it will hunt more for digital since it won't waste time looking for and locking on to a perhaps unusable analog signal. In a few years in fact all these phones won't even have the option to since analog will thankfully be gone. Rather than worry about doing it youself and it is easy, just tell
    the tech to put it in CDMA only. If you want to at all, otherwise as digital fills in you will see less and less of the "A", anyway.

22. LRando

LRando Junior Member

My Phone:
    Alias 2
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Verizon
    Just in case...how do you do it? I hate to go to tech to do it, because then if I want to change it back, I have to go all way to verizon again. It's about a 20-25 min. drive. Thanks.

Lauri

23. Jerro

My Phone:
    LG EV 3
    Wireless Provider(s):
    VZw
    OK, hit the menu key disregarding the next screen or list.

NEXT punch in 6 zeros. A new menu will appear.

Go to FORCE, click OK.

THEN, you will see that you phone is on AUTOMATIC. The list includes auto, PCS, CDMA, analog etc. Scroll to CDMA hit OK and thats it.

If you get overwhelmed just hit the clear key until your back at the regular screen.

ALSO note when you do a PRL *228 option 2 (thats prefered roaming list) update, that the phone will often revert to automatic. But that Ok, if you still have an issue you can do the above again, if you wish. For now it's an option.

I may leave my 6100 on automatic to see how it does in my area, if I see too much analog I may change it to CDMA only, as I did on my other phones.

24. LRando

LRando Junior Member

My Phone:
    Alias 2
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Verizon
    thanks...checked it out, you're right, it's easy. I'm always afraid I'm gonna screw something up. I'll leave it alone for now, but may try it if I get into an area w/problems. Thanks! I'll let you know if I use it, how it worked!
    Lauri

25. charlyee

charlyee Ultimate Insanity
    Super Moderator Senior Member

My Phone:
    iPhone X
    Wireless Provider(s):
    at&t/Airtel/Turkcell
    Jerro, don't you have to hit "zero" after you hit Menu and then punch in 6 zeros?

PS: Obviously not, since it worked for you Lrando....:O

#25 charlyee, Oct 12, 2005
    Last edited: Oct 12, 2005
  26. Jerro

My Phone:
    LG EV 3
    Wireless Provider(s):
    VZw
    not sure what you mean. Punch in or HIT, ZERO, six times. Is what I could have said I guess.

PS too: Charlyee, I have an old Moto 331 T that I want to get into the service screen ( test mode etc). Can you give me a clue?
    Thanks

27. charlyee

charlyee Ultimate Insanity
    Super Moderator Senior Member

My Phone:
    iPhone X
    Wireless Provider(s):
    at&t/Airtel/Turkcell
    Let's see what I meant:

1. Hit Menu

2. Hit "0".

3. Punch in the 6 zeros.

Did that make any more sense? In any case LRando got to the menu.:)

28. LRando

LRando Junior Member

My Phone:
    Alias 2
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Verizon
    Charlyee...technically you are right. After you hit menu the 1st 0 brings you to the tech screen, THEN you type in 6 zero's. I realized this after I typed the 6 zero's and still needed one more. No big deal. Thanks again everyone!:)

29. Jerro

My Phone:
    LG EV 3
    Wireless Provider(s):
    VZw
    That's a good explanation too. We could say 7 Zeros; actually if you keep hitting 0's as long as it exceeds 6, your IN.

30. Andy

My Phone:
    HTC Thunderbolt
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Nope, I'm sure I'm talking about the 6100. I used to have a 6000 and even though it was good, rf, wise, my moto is better and it always fared better than any 6100's I've seen.