Welcome to Our WirelessAdvisor Community!

You are viewing our forums as a GUEST. Please join us so you can post and view all the pictures.
Registration is easy, fast and FREE!

Update on California Wireless Bill (SB1627)

Discussion in 'Cell Tower Hunting Club' started by Jonathan Kramer, Jun 30, 2006.

1. Jonathan Kramer

Jonathan Kramer Telecom Atty/RF Engr.

Cell Tower Picture Gallery:
    My Phone:
    Apple iPhone 4s
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Verizon Wireless (as of 8/13/08)
    Gang, and especially those in California:

As some of you may know, California Senate Bill 1627 has cleared the California Senate and has been moving through the California Assembly. It is a bill that streamlines the co-location process.

The Bill, as first introduced several months ago, was seriously flawed (at least in the eyes of local governments...the eyes I look through :cool: ). I've been working as the technical advisor to and a negotiator for the League of California Cities trying to shape the bill into something that the industry and governments can live with, and one that provides real benefits to both sides. My League boss on this issue, Anthony Thomas has kept me out of trouble, but in the thick of things!

Two days ago, the Bill was heard in the Assembly Local Government Subcommittee. At the time of passage, the industry and government reps were sitting in the basement of the Capitol working on amendments and words. At the end of that process, we got down to one word left. Yes, I mean we were working to agree on a single, key word. Based on our proximity to an agreement the Bill passed out of the Local Government Subcommittee and was sent to the Natural Resources Subcommittee.

Yesterday, the Bill was heard in the Assembly Natural Resources Subcommittee. About 15 minutes before the Bill was to be heard by Natural Resources, we were still working on 'the word.' We were able to agree on 'the word' (after phone calls to attorneys :browani:). When we were called, it was NOT a lovefest, but both sides expressed their hopes for the Bill.

For those of you who, like me, enjoy the process of "eating sausage"* (see below), I've captured the audio of both hearings and posted them on my site in streaming audio. While you have to register to hear them, registration there, like here, if free (and worth it!).

CLICK HERE to jump to the post with the audio clips.

I'll keep you posted on the Bill as it moves to a final vote, which should occur in the next couple of weeks.

- Jonathan Kramer

* "People who enjoy eating sausage and obeying the law should not watch either being made" - Otto von Bismarck

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  2. chuikov

chuikov Senior Member

I like the Bismarck quote Jonathan!

Is the word "discretionary"?

There are many other controversial terms to choose from. Some ordinances confuse and inter-mingle the meanings of "antenna" "tower" "base station" and "cell site"

I applaud your (and others') effort to standardize and define terms in the golden state. Good luck!

The bill looks pretty good!

http://info.sen.ca.gov/pub/bill/sen/sb_1601-1650/sb_1627_cfa_20060627_141352_asm_comm.html

3. Jonathan Kramer

My Phone:
    Apple iPhone 4s
    Wireless Provider(s):
    C:

Actually, the word isn't "discretionary" but because negotiations are ongoing I don't want to get into details. I'll gladly talk about it after the Bill becomes law or is defeated (sorry, but I can't rule anything in or out yet...remember...sausage).

What's on the CalGov website is not 100% percent correct...more like 80%, but between that text and the audio I've streamed you can get a very good idea about what is being attempted.

Best,

:J

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  4. chuikov

chuikov Senior Member

It was just a guess on 'the word'.

I hope the bill passes! Good luck my friend.

5. Jonathan Kramer

My Phone:
    Apple iPhone 4s
    Wireless Provider(s):

I guess I'm being overly political. Sorry.

The first try at 'the word' was "compelling" which wasn't acceptable to one side. The next try was "important" which wasn't acceptable to one side. The word, as agreed upon is "substantial" which IS acceptable to both sides.

j

6. chuikov

chuikov Senior Member

:lmao:

At least I was close with "discretionary" :lmao: .

Good luck again - I like the way it's moving.

7. Jonathan Kramer

My Phone:
    Apple iPhone 4s
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Gang:

The latest version of SB1627 is on line at my site in the http://www.cabletv.com/regulatory-updates-wireless/ section. I've highlighted the most current changes in the posting.

I'll be at the California Assembly next Wednesday to testify regarding the Bill. It is likely that the Bill will become law, and go into effect on 1/1/07.

Best,

Jonathan

8. MOTOhooligan

MOTOhooligan Former Mobile Data Addict

My Phone:
    Motorola XT1929-17
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Verizon
    Thank you, Jonathan, I find this all terribly interesting and I'm glad WA has someone like you to share it with us.

I like sausage but I prefer bacon... I don't think I want to watch either being made, however.;)

9. Jonathan Kramer

My Phone:
    Apple iPhone 4s
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Glad to hear you like this stuff. I'll keep posting, especially after Wednesday when the Bill is hear in the final committee before the floor vote.

j

10. Jonathan Kramer

My Phone:
    Apple iPhone 4s
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Update 8/16/06 at 11:27 a.m.

Minutes ago, SB1627 (the California Co-location bill) was voted out of the California Assembly Appropriations Committee. The next stop for the bill is, I believe, the full Assembly.

I'll have the audio of the hearing on my website later today, and I'll update this thread when its available.

By the way, for those of you who don't speak 'political', the term, "voted out" means that the bill was approved by the committee and sent on to the next place to be heard/considered.

In California, it's common for a piece of legislation to be heard and voted on 5 to 15 times in various committees, subcommittees, referred back to committees, and on the floors of the Senate and Assembly. This is a key to the state's checks-and-balances system to ensure that legislation is fully heard and impacts explored before the 'final' votes in each house of our legislature.

After all of the votes happen, and presuming that the bill survives and is approved, then it goes to our "Governator" :browani: for his signature.

-Jonathan

PS: I'd put up our Governator against Jesse Ventura (former Governor of some state full of lakes) any day of the week. "I'll be back!" :censored:

11. TelcomJunkie

TelcomJunkie Bad Handoff Investigator

Wireless Provider(s):
    Big Brother
    Thanks for the update Jonathan!

12. Jonathan Kramer

My Phone:
    Apple iPhone 4s
    Wireless Provider(s):
    My pleasure, Robert.

For All: Here's a link to INCOMPLETE audio of today's hearing: CLICK ME, BABY!

I'll have complete audio of the hearing up on my site tomorrow.

Best,

j

13. Jonathan Kramer

My Phone:
    Apple iPhone 4s
    Wireless Provider(s):
    I've just uploaded the entire audio clip of yesterday's hearing on SB 1627, the proposed California Wireless Siting Collocation Bill. I've also updated the comments on my website regarding the bill.

Here's the updated link: CLICK ME, BABY!

Jonathan

14. MOTOhooligan

MOTOhooligan Former Mobile Data Addict

My Phone:
    Motorola XT1929-17
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Verizon
    But who had the minigun in Predator?

15. COtech

COtech Bronze Senior Member

My Phone:
    Sam. Galaxy SII Skyrocket
    Wireless Provider(s):
    AT&T Mobility
    PS: I'd put up our Governator against Jesse Ventura (former Governor of some state full of lakes) any day of the week. "I'll be back!" :censored:[/QUOTE]

You can hear them (seemingly) together on APM's "A Prairie Home Companion" with Garrison Keillor as private detective Guy Noir about 1:25 into the two hour show of August 19. The archive page doesn't have it up yet, but come Monday...

COtech

16. COtech

COtech Bronze Senior Member

My Phone:
    Sam. Galaxy SII Skyrocket
    Wireless Provider(s):
    AT&T Mobility
    You can hear them (seemingly) together on APM's "A Prairie Home Companion" with Garrison Keillor as private detective Guy Noir about 1:25 into the two hour show of August 19. The archive page doesn't have it up yet, but come Monday...

COtech