Welcome to Our WirelessAdvisor Community!

You are viewing our forums as a GUEST. Please join us so you can post and view all the pictures.
Registration is easy, fast and FREE!

UNLOCKING NOKIA 5165 and NOKIA 6185 PLEASE HELP

Discussion in 'Northeastern US Wireless Forum' started by xvinmastax, Jun 24, 2002.

1. xvinmastax

xvinmastax New Member

I am selling my used Nokia 5165 and Nokia 6185, but someone told me that I have to unlock them first. What does "unlock" mean and how do I do it? I used Cingular for the 5165 and MCI for the 6185. PLEASE HELP ME

2. bobolito

bobolito Diamond Senior Member

Cell Tower Picture Gallery:
    My Phone:
    iPhone SE
    Wireless Provider(s):
    T-Mobile
    Unlocking a phone is basically to "unmarry" it from a particular carrier. AT&T locks their phones so you can only activate it with them and not any other TDMA carrier.
    If you bought the 5165 from Cingular it is probably unlocked already. Cingular is not in the practice of locking phones. If you bought it from AT&T you bet it is locked. About the 6185, it may or may not be locked depending on the carrier's business practices. Unlocking a phone is not imperative to sell it. You can still sell a locked phone. The phone companies don't like to unlock their phones so it is unlikely they will do it for you, so you would have to pay some hacker guy to unlock it. However, you may sell your locked phone to someone else who wishes to use the same carrier it is "married" or locked to. It is rare to find anyone who wouldn't want to use a particular phone on the network it is locked to.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  3. coalminer

coalminer Senior Member

My Phone:
    Blackberry Tour
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Verizon
    For the 6185 the easiest way to tell if it is locked is to dial *#639# if it asks for a phone number, it is unlocked, if it asks for a service programing code it is locked.

4. scotty

scotty New Member

in my experiance, cingular locks all of there gsm phones, and most of the 5100 series phones are locked as well. i will admit i have seen 6100 series not locked by cingular, but very few as it depends on what distribution center it was origanally shipped from