Welcome to Our WirelessAdvisor Community!

You are viewing our forums as a GUEST. Please join us so you can post and view all the pictures.
Registration is easy, fast and FREE!

Unlocking another phone for use on Sprint

Discussion in 'Sprint Forum' started by stever84, Sep 3, 2006.

1. stever84

stever84 New Member

My Phone:
    Samsung SGH-427
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Sprint and Cingular
    Ok here's my problem. I currently have Sprint service. I am using a grossly outdated phone. The phone I use on Sprint does NOT need a sim chip, but it does have a slot for one. I have a Samsung SGH-x427m flip phone that I got from my sister. Its currently set up for use on the Cingular network. It does not have a sim chip but apparently needs one for use on Cingular. How can I unlock the Samsung phone to use on Sprint, without using a sim chip as sprint phones do not need them. If you can help me unlock the samsung, PLEASE let me know. THANK YOU!!!!

2. TelcomJunkie

TelcomJunkie Bad Handoff Investigator

Cell Tower Picture Gallery:
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Big Brother
    As far as I know the SGH-x427m is a GSM only phone. Which means it could be unlocked for use on either Cingular or T Mobile (in the USA).

Just as an aside, if the phone doesn't say Sprint on it good luck getting it activated. They're not as easy on the outside phone activations as Verizon is.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  3. stever84

stever84 New Member

My Phone:
    Samsung SGH-427
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Sprint and Cingular
    Another thing I don't understand is why a Sprint-branded phone has a slot for a Sim Chip. Sprint doesn't use Sim Chips, do they? Do you know something that I don't?

4. kentthorne

kentthorne New Member

u cant unlock a phone to use on sprints network. all the possible esn's that can possibly be activated on sprints network are already loaded into the network. as for the sims card space in the phones. they are only on models were the manufactor releases an almost model on a different network ie nokia. when nokia launches a with sprint there is usually an identical phone on a gsm network so to save money nokia doens't take off the sim card slot. there is no way to take a gsm phone and put it on the sprint network. sorry.

5. stever84

stever84 New Member

My Phone:
    Samsung SGH-427
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Sprint and Cingular
    Thanks for the reply but i'll find a way. Ill call my friend at Sprint corporate and he will hook me up. Thanks to everyone who answered my question!

6. TelcomJunkie

Wireless Provider(s):
    Big Brother
    Good luck on him waving the GSM -> CDMA conversion wand.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  7. stever84

stever84 New Member

My Phone:
    Samsung SGH-427
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Sprint and Cingular
    what i meant by that was that i'll just have him send me a new phone. no sense trying to turn silver into gold, is there? lol!

8. TelcomJunkie

Wireless Provider(s):
    Big Brother
    Gotcha, I thought you were still thinking it was possible :D

9. jastout

jastout New Member

ok so just the opposite.I have a Nokia 6225 that was activated and locked to sprint pcs it has a Sim Card spot in the backand I was looking to unlock it so it can be used for cingular. however i can't find an IMEI for the phone. The ESN and ESn -Hex are all I can find. I know you say you can't go from GSM to CDMA. but can you go from a CDMA to GSM? if so how!

10. TelcomJunkie

Wireless Provider(s):
    Big Brother
    Still not going to happen. A GSM phone is a GSM phone and a CDMA one is a CDMA one.