Welcome to Our WirelessAdvisor Community!

You are viewing our forums as a GUEST. Please join us so you can post and view all the pictures.
Registration is easy, fast and FREE!

"Unlocked Sim" and "unlocked browser"

Discussion in 'GENERAL Wireless Discussion' started by pfp, Nov 9, 2002.

1. pfp

pfp Senior Member

"Unlocked Sim" and "unlocked browser"

Take a look at:

This Auction on eBay

All this talk about sim unlocking and browser unlocking. Is he real or is he just talking out his *ss?

Something to do with not being able to use wireless internet capabilities with the browser unlocked.

I'm guessing the experts on this one are Zaphod and Aiwa, so, hey guys, I hope ya read this msg [​IMG]

Y'know, while I'm at it here, why don't I get a bit of a lesson about unlocking. Let's say, for humor's sake that I buy an unlocking cable. What's this thing do? Why do unlocking dealers get away with charging $20/phone when a cable costs $15-30 once. Do you need a program to go with it? Does it come with the program? If you could just pile me with every bit of information related to unlocking with a cable, I'd really appreciate!

P

2. ZaphodB

ZaphodB Signal Go Down De Hole...

My Phone:
    LG VX5600
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Verizon(US) Orange(FR)
    SIM Unlocking you can read about anywhere.

Browser locking. Cingular 'burn' their browser settings into GPRS-enabled phones. It means that when you get to the Internet menu, there's no "setup" option because it's already been setup (for Cingular's settings). So if you switch to T-Mobile, you can't use the Internet on that phone.

Text messaging works on any phone. You just change the number in the text message setup menu. I've never seen that be locked, but I guess it could be.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  3. pfp

pfp Senior Member

Who else browser-locks? And if you're buying a "NEW" unlocked phone, is the browser unlocked?

4. virtualdynamix

virtualdynamix Junior Member

RITMarketer,

I believe that some carriers do lock the browsers so that you can only use their service. After your network setting is unlocked on your phone, your browser can still be locked to the original carrier as previously mentioned by ZaphodB. One way around this, in the case of Ericsson phones, is to upgrade the firmware and copy the memory dumped file from a phone that didn't have its browser locked.

As for unlocking, I guess the dealers charge that amount because customers are willing to pay it. But, to better answer your question, certain phones require "unreleased" software in order to unlock since it requires an encrypted key to enter the service mode of the phone. One such phone is the Ericsson T68. Programmers of these "unreleased" softwares often sell access to a host server that will then generate unlock codes. Once, the phone becomes obsolete, this type of software seems to become available for free. Phones that are not encrypted such as old Nokias do not require any special software as they are readily available after searching the internet and all you need is a serial cable to connect to the phone.

Best Regards,
    Sung H. Suh
    Virtual Dynamix, LLC
    http://gsm.virtualdynamix.com

5. Celticsinger

Celticsinger New Member

I have Cingular as my carrier, and I'm about to buy an unlocked Nokia 6310i; if Cingular 'burns in' the settings for their browser, how will I go about setting this up?

Does anyone have instructions, or a link to a page where I could read more about how to set up my non-carrier-approved phone?

Cheers mates,
    Christa

6. ZaphodB

ZaphodB Signal Go Down De Hole...

My Phone:
    LG VX5600
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Verizon(US) Orange(FR)
    You would need to get the WAP settings from Cingular. Good luck - I have heard that they are less than forthcoming with the information, though perhaps RITMarketer or another could help you. You would then enter the information in the phone. It would not 'burn in' - once unlocked, the only way to relock it is through a ROM flash which would be highly unlikely for you. You could then change the settings to use with T-Mobile if you wanted to switch to them.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  7. Celticsinger

Celticsinger New Member

Thanks so much for the answers, Mr. B ! I called Cingular to ask about this, and ran into a bit of a stone wall; as you stated, <u>not</u> very forthcoming. However, ever hopeful, I stopped by my local Cingular store, and the chap there seemed to think he ~might~ be able to get everything set up for me if/when I bring in the phone. If not, I'll be pestering you all here, asking for this code and that routine. [​IMG]

And I <u>do</u> like the idea of being able to reprogram/reset the phone if I change carriers!

So, time to stop dragging my feet and go splash out on that nifty 6310i I've had my eye on (then again.... if I can live without an LCD just a bit longer, I could buy one of those nifty-looking 7250 jobbies.... or maybe the radical-looking 3650. Decisions, Decisions !)

Cheers, mate,
    Christa

8. olubolu

olubolu Junior Member

My Phone:
    LG SHINE red
    Wireless Provider(s):
    TMobile and Verizon Wireless
    Usually if you buy a "new" unlocked phone, the seller will list it as factory unlocked. ALL phones are shipped out of the factory unlocked and once they hit the cell companies, they are then locked to the specific carriers. Although Tmobile is very cool about unlocking their branded cell phones for free once you remain a customer for at least six months. If you bring in a phone that's not their's they will charge you a 50 dollar unlocking fee. If the phone is a factory unlocked phone, it's unbranded and is being sold to you straight from the manufacturer, then the browser will not be locked.

9. Ellen

Ellen Guest

WOW, yet another 5 year old thread that has been resurrected from the dead! :D

Two corrections with this post:

1) TMobile gives out handset unlock codes after a customer has been with them for 90 days.

2) TMobile will provide the unlock code from a handset that is from another wireless carrier for free as long as they are able to obtain the code and the customer has met all of their requirements.

TMobile unlock code request link: http://forums.wirelessadvisor.com/t-mobile-users/62798-how-to-request-unlock-code.html

10. olubolu

olubolu Junior Member

My Phone:
    LG SHINE red
    Wireless Provider(s):
    TMobile and Verizon Wireless
    So sorry, next time I'll pay MUCH CLOSER attention to the tiny post dates in the top corner of a thread.

11. Fire14

Fire14 Easy,Cheap & Sleazy

Cell Tower Picture Gallery:
    My Phone:
    EnV
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Verizon

I just wanted to confirn something here, T-Mobile will Unlock ANY others GSM handset as long as they can get the code? Who do they get the code & what are these "Requirements" ?

I never heard of this & am curious why they would do this and are their any restrictions to this?

12. Ellen

Ellen Guest

Yes TMobile "can" give out an unlock code for another GSM carrier. "But" they don't have to, nor are they required to do so...... However, I have requested and received 3 unlock code requests for my Cingular branded handsets from TMobile in the past. (Motorola; V551, V557, V190.) I'm not sure how TMobile obtains these codes, but my guess is that it would be from the carrier that the phone is locked to.... I do know that it took them a lot longer to give me the Cingular handset codes then it did for one of their own handsets...... I have also read on other forums where members who requested an unlock code for one of their non TMobile branded handsets came back as rejected, which is why I stated that they are not required to give out the code on any handset that is not one of their own.

Please refer to my post in this thread for TMobiles requirements and how to request a free unlock code from them: http://forums.wirelessadvisor.com/t-mobile-users/62798-how-to-request-unlock-code.html (This method applies to both prepaid and postpaid customers).

13. Fire14

Fire14 Easy,Cheap & Sleazy

Cell Tower Picture Gallery:
    My Phone:
    EnV
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Verizon

Interesting, thanks for the followup. I would think they do get the codes from the other carrier for ones they are willing to unlock, unless the manufacture holds these codes & they can get them from say Motorola ect....

I would guess the higher end the phone the more likely they would try to do this for a customer? Say a Treo or BB vs the free phones, especially since it seems to be "Some" phones vs all.