Welcome to Our WirelessAdvisor Community!

You are viewing our forums as a GUEST. Please join us so you can post and view all the pictures.
Registration is easy, fast and FREE!

Unlocked phones on T-Mobile network

Discussion in 'GENERAL Wireless Discussion' started by gilly001, Mar 31, 2006.

1. gilly001

gilly001 New Member

My Phone:
    T-Mobile Sidekick 3
    Wireless Provider(s):
    T-Mobile
    Hi I'm a newbie and I thought I might and get some feedback.:O I'm considering making the leap and purchasing an unlocked phone, most likely the Motorola SLVR. Unfortunately T-Mobile does not offer that (but T-Mobile UK does, go figure...):loony: only Cingular does. Right now I would prefer not to switch to Cingular. I'm out of contract and I like it that way. Also the plan on Cingular that is comparable to T-Mobile would be about $10 more a month. I was just wondering if there is anyone here that has some feedback on using an unlocked phone on the T-Mobile network. Was it the right choice to make, were there any drawbacks, are you unlocked all the time, is it better/worse than being on a locked phone etc... I thank you for your help.:)

2. MOTOhooligan

MOTOhooligan Former Mobile Data Addict

Cell Tower Picture Gallery:
    My Phone:
    Motorola XT1929-17
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Verizon
    A Nokia 6010 to a Motorola L7 SLVR? That's quite an upgrade!

I'm using an unlocked Motorola v620 and I love it! You have to manually program the web and MMS settings into the phone to use T-Zones and MMS, but other than that everything is on your SIM card.

One of the only drawbacks I've found to using an unlocked/unbranded phone is that T-Mobile won't support phones that aren't in their lineup. This means that if you have a problem with the phone, they won't help.

The only other small problem I've had is when they converted voicemail systems instead of getting an MWI, I receive a text message full of gibberish. They said I needed a software upgrade but one doesn't exist for the v620 because it's an unsupported handset.

Other than that, no real downsides. Good luck with your SLVR, I've heard nothing but good things about the L7.

Here are the settings for T-Mobile. I got these from Camikazi over at http://www.motomodders.net/ but they're available all over the place.

Got to WebAccess then Web Session then Create a New Session

Name:T-Zones
    Home page:http://wap.myvoicestream.com
    Service Type 1:WAP
    Gateway IP 1:216.155.165.050
    Port 1:9201
    Domain 1:
    Service Type 2:WAP
    Gateway IP 2:216.155.165.051
    Port 2:9201
    Domain 2:
    DNS 1:216.155.175.040
    DNS 2:216.155.175.170
    Timeout: 15 Minutes
    CSD No. 1:
    User Name 1:
    Password 1:
    Speed (Bps)1:9600
    Line Type 1: ISDN
    CSD No. 2:
    User Name 2:
    Password 2:
    Speed (Bps)2:9600
    Line Type 2:ISDN
    GPRS APN:wap.voicestream.com
    User Name:
    Password:

SMS and MMS Settings

Goto Messeges, click on the setting button, click on INBOX SETUP or MESSAGE SETUP then click on MMS MESSAGE SETUP

Service Name: T-Zones MMS
    Server Name:http://216.155.174.84/servlets/mms
    Web Session Name:T-Zones

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  3. gilly001

gilly001 New Member

My Phone:
    T-Mobile Sidekick 3
    Wireless Provider(s):
    T-Mobile
    Hey thanks for all the info. All the features that phones like the SLVR and the RAZR have I thought it was to much and that I would never need it but I realize that I'm a fool. I thought I would upgrade to the RAZR but then the SLVR came out and it was love at first sight. I've written T-Mobile in hopes that they would add it soon but I don't think that will happen. Now I just need to find a place to buy the SLVR for a reasonable price.

4. MOTOhooligan

My Phone:
    Motorola XT1929-17
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Verizon
    I'm betting T-Mobile will have the SLVR eventually, since they got the RAZR after Cingular had it exclusively for a few months but who knows when?

If you're looking for a cheap SLVR, you should try one of these sites...

GSM Phone Planet
    Import GSM

GSM Phone Planet doesn't have the SLVR in stock right now but all the SLVRs I have found online were about $250 US.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  5. gilly001

gilly001 New Member

My Phone:
    T-Mobile Sidekick 3
    Wireless Provider(s):
    T-Mobile
    Hey thanks you are a big help. I'm really hoping that you are right about T-Mobile adding it to their line up. I'm so ready to say Sayonara to this Nokia 6010.

6. Yugopro

Yugopro Senior Member

My Phone:
    iphone 3gs
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Tmobile
    Also try EBAY, search for unlocked GSM, Motorola, or SLVR or all three.

Usually better prices than dealers. Might find a used one.....

7. gilly001

gilly001 New Member

My Phone:
    T-Mobile Sidekick 3
    Wireless Provider(s):
    T-Mobile
    Hey thanks for the advice. I've checked ebay a couple of times and I think I've found some reputable sellers. If I can't find a seller that I'm happy with I might get the Samsung t809 or possibly switch to Cingular.:(

8. chorros

chorros New Member

My Phone:
    motorola v330
    Wireless Provider(s):
    t-mobile
    there are monsterpacks available for certain phones which contain software and graphics for particular carriers, some even lock your phone to specific carriers. That is one of the downsides to using unlocked phones is that you have to manually setup the wifi and mms settings yourself. Major advantages is that you aren't tied to one specific carrier and you can delete the default files that came with the phone to free up its internal memory.

9. SLVRstud

SLVRstud New Member

I figured I would intervene since I came across 1 problem today and one problem only...i have a Factory Unlocked Special Edition SLVR L7, and I have T-Mobile USA service. Of course all i had to do was login to cust support and have the Settings configurator send a service settings message to me, no biggie. Something I cannot fix unless there is a software fix for it...when receiving a voicemail , the t-mobile voicemail system sends a alert to the SLVR (if that is the phone in question), and the SLVR's software internally cannot interpret it, so it displays it in the form of a text message.....the text message looks like this.
    6:18pm 4/27/2006 |
    |
    |
    |
    |
    BACK = REPLY |
    -----------------------

Now, the quick fix to this problem so that you dont have to worry so much about it, would be to turn notification of voicemails off on your phone. Then check it every so often. and that is not convenient if you are a working hard business consultant as I am. you can also just realize in your head that when you receive this kind of message, that it means you have a voicemial.....stupid huh, not really major JUST VERY ANNOYING LOL. Alas that is how technology works. :) Hope i havent swayed your decision to purchase the L7 because everything, and i mean EVERYTHING else about my phone works EXCEPTIONALLY...and because I do NOT like cingular, I am willing to deal with this tiny problem. Have a good day.

10. Bob_the_golfer

Bob_the_golfer New Member

Which Motorola phone did you use in the Data Configurator to minic the Slvr L7??

Thanks

11. MOTOhooligan

My Phone:
    Motorola XT1929-17
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Verizon
    I believe the Motorola V3 RAZR is the phone you use in the T-Mobile data configurator.

12. SLVRstud

SLVRstud New Member

Bingo....sure did. Easy as pie. Thats all i had to do, i had BOTH settings sent to my phone.

SLVRstud

13. g_garcia20

g_garcia20 New Member

My Phone:
    Motorola L6
    Wireless Provider(s):
    T-Mobile
    I have an unlocked l6 for tmobile and have did all the changes and am able to get onto tzones but i still can't download wall papers or ringtones. it says something about "your phone does not allow the download of ringtones" and then it says handset not recognized. Anyone know what to do.

Thanks

14. MOTOhooligan

My Phone:
    Motorola XT1929-17
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Verizon
    You can't download ringtones and wallpapers to an unsupported device (aka a device T-Mobile does not offer or a device which is not T-Mobile branded.) You have to go online to MyT-Mobile.com and select the downloads you want to send to your phone.

If you have a SLVR, select the V3 RAZR as your device as the downloads for each are compatible.

15. SLVRstud

SLVRstud New Member

Also something to keep in mind is that it is definitley possible to use your Memory Card adapter for the mini-SD card to transfer MP3 music files as ringtones. Same goes for wallpapers....if you have a simple graphics editing program or even the included module in Motorola Mobile Phone tools, this will allow you to crop the images to a necessary size to display properly on your phone. Modding your phone to be compatible for t-zones as FAR AS I KNOW, only allows you to browse, and not download. I tried selecting the V3 RAZR as my device so that T-Mobile would be socked into thinking I was using it, but it did not work, gave me the familiar "This device is not supported."

Good luck to you friend,
    SLVRstud

16. gilly001

gilly001 New Member

My Phone:
    T-Mobile Sidekick 3
    Wireless Provider(s):
    T-Mobile
    I don't suppose you can trick T-mobile into recognizing your SLVR by choosing the Samsung T-509 j/k (Why don't you try that using the PEBL?) but to recap the only thing that you can't get are VM notificiations and you can't download anything from T-Zones, but just browse? I got the RAZR last week, but flip phones are so fragile I think that I'm going to break it eventually which was why I opted for the equipment protection this time around. I can live with the drawbacks that you stated before. I just wish T-Mobile would get the SLVR as opposed to getting the knockoff like that's an adequate subsitute.

17. SLVRstud

SLVRstud New Member

Well the voicemail notifications can actually be fixed if you have the SLVR. My model was a SLVR unlocked at factory by motorola and has no Cingular branding. I have never had a phone work so perfectly on T-Mobile. The download issue I dont mind because I can put almost anything i want in my phone WITHOUT downloading it. So simple enough.

The addition of T-Mobile compatible voicemail notifications is actually NOT that hard to get through. If done improperly however can ruin your device permanently.

I dont want to provide that advice for that reason. At your own risk, see other posts.

SLVRstud

18. thetoolman

thetoolman New Member

[Did you ever resolve the voicemail related text messages on your SLVR? I am experiecing the same annoyance, and I am not sure if your "bingo" reference was about getting the VM to work with the notifications.] - sorry posted without reloading the page first! Can you share where you found other posts that provide instructions for this update? If the phone breaks, I can just exchange it for a new one, so it is not that big of a risk for me.

The internet settings at the top of this thread worked perfectly to get me online.

19. charlyee

charlyee Ultimate Insanity
    Super Moderator Senior Member

My Phone:
    iPhone X
    Wireless Provider(s):
    at&t/Airtel/Turkcell
    Hooligan you are lucky with T-Mobile. With Cingular even by going online and selecting the downloads and sending them to the phone gives an error message. With QTEK, I called it a 8125 (exact same phone from Cingular) with the PEBL, I tried both SLVR & Razr and still couldn't get the download.

20. MOTOhooligan

My Phone:
    Motorola XT1929-17
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Verizon
    For sure! I still can't download games, though, just wallpapers and ringtones. You can only get those directly on the handset. I probably wouldn't play that many games but it would still be cool to have Space Invaders, Asteroids, Missile Command and Pac Man on my phone... of course, it would take up a ton of memory and slow the GUI, but hey, what's a phone without games?:loony:

21. noidea123

noidea123 New Member

Hi all -

I'm new to this so excuse my lack of knowledge.

The data listed in motohooligan's post is to allow the SLVR to browse the web but not download stuff, correct?

To download, one would have to go to t-mobile's website and have the selections sent to the phone?

Also, has someone found a way to resolve the text messages for voicemail (can you direct me to the correct post, SLVRstud)?

Thanks for all the info and help, people.

22. MOTOhooligan

My Phone:
    Motorola XT1929-17
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Verizon
    That's correct. The T-Mobile settings for the RAZR will work for the SLVR to allow sending of MMS and browsing the web using GPRS but you will not be able to download ringtones or wallpapers. For that you must sign into MyT-Mobile.com and select the downloads you want online.

23. mikeaguilar1

mikeaguilar1 New Member

Whats this about the voicemail notification thing? What will happen? I wont receive my voicemail?

24. MOTOhooligan

My Phone:
    Motorola XT1929-17
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Verizon
    You just get a text message that says _@ or some other weird combination of symbols instead of the message waiting indicator. You can fix the problem with seem edit.

25. noidea123

noidea123 New Member

thanks for the reply. what is "seem edit"? can you point me to a place where i can get instructions on how to resolve this voicemail test message issue?

26. MOTOhooligan

My Phone:
    Motorola XT1929-17
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Verizon
    Jay's Reference Base

27. mikeaguilar1

mikeaguilar1 New Member

Another question. Once i user those setting and get everything up and running.... When i sign on AIM what will i get charged? Or does it use up my minutes or does each instant message count as a text?

28. gonnygump

gonnygump New Member

Hi. I tried the instructions below on an unlocked RAZR, but each time I try to use the browser, I get a message saying "Browser setup is incomplete." Perhaps this is because several fields are left empty (e.g., "CSD User No. 1", "User Name 1:", etc.). I tried selecting each of these fields and then entering nothing, but that did not help. Any advice would be greatly welcomed.

---------------

Here are the settings for T-Mobile. I got these from Camikazi over at http://www.motomodders.net/ but they're available all over the place.

Got to WebAccess then Web Session then Create a New Session

Name:T-Zones
    Home page:http://wap.myvoicestream.com
    Service Type 1:WAP
    Gateway IP 1:216.155.165.050
    Port 1:9201
    Domain 1:
    Service Type 2:WAP
    Gateway IP 2:216.155.165.051
    Port 2:9201
    Domain 2:
    DNS 1:216.155.175.040
    DNS 2:216.155.175.170
    Timeout: 15 Minutes
    CSD No. 1:
    User Name 1:
    Password 1:
    Speed (Bps)1:9600
    Line Type 1: ISDN
    CSD No. 2:
    User Name 2:
    Password 2:
    Speed (Bps)2:9600
    Line Type 2:ISDN
    GPRS APN:wap.voicestream.com
    User Name:
    Password:

29. Etorres777

Etorres777 Life is good for now..

My Phone:
    Apple iPhone 3G
    Wireless Provider(s):
    at&t Mobility
    I just got the SLVR unlocked and I use T-Mobile. There's an easier way to get the settings on your phone.

http://tmobileusotw.wdsglobal.com/

Just follow the instructions, fairly easy. One thing though, the L7 isn't on the list of phones so use the L2 I believe and it works like a charm. The phone is great the only thing that gets on my nerves sometimes is the small key pad. I'm getting used to it but at first I was pressing two buttons at the same time with one finger! But I'm getting way better at it. Like noted before, the stupid VM indicator won't work but it's not big deal. Enjoy. :D

30. gonnygump

gonnygump New Member

Indeed, worked like a charm. Thanks a million.

-----------