Welcome to Our WirelessAdvisor Community!

You are viewing our forums as a GUEST. Please join us so you can post and view all the pictures.
Registration is easy, fast and FREE!

Unlocked phone showing Cingular network, roaming

Discussion in 'T-Mobile Forum' started by backformystuff, Aug 18, 2006.

1. backformystuff

backformystuff New Member

Hey all:

I have an unlocked RAZR that I am using with my T-Mobile SIM card.

Two questions: whenever I call in to my voicemail, I get this text message that contains two characters of gobbledy-guk. Any ideas on how to make it stop doing that?

Second: My display indicates that I am on a Cingular network, and the roaming icon is visible. I've heard that T-Mobile acquired the Cingular network on the west coast, but I just want to make sure that I'm not actually roaming, and that I won't incur any extra charges...?

Thanks in advance!

2. Jay2TheRescue

Jay2TheRescue Resident Spamslayer
    Super Moderator Senior Member

Cell Tower Picture Gallery:
    My Phone:
    Pixel 4a 5G
    Wireless Provider(s):
    AT&Tingular 310-410
    If the phone has an older alpha tag database in it then you're not really roaming, because as you said TMO bought Cingular's old network. THe only way to fix your VM indicator is to edit your phone's operating system. The person who unlocked it enabled full manual network search. If you disable the full network search your VM indicator will work properly. It can be complicated and I don't recommend doing this unless you are comfortable with actually going in and modifying your phone's OS with a hex editor.

-Jay

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  3. backformystuff

backformystuff New Member

Thanks, Jay. What would be required to go in and edit the OS?

4. Jay2TheRescue

My Phone:
    Pixel 4a 5G
    Wireless Provider(s):
    AT&Tingular 310-410
    You will need a USB data cable for your phone (You may already have one, it is the same as many digital cameras), a program called MotoKit, a lot of patience to get all the drivers installed correctly (They are notorious for not working right on Win xp w/ SP2) and then the nerves to go in and make the changes. You will also need to download a copy of the seem map to determine what mods you want to perform, and which hex addresses control them. All this info is available in my modding thread, linked in my signature. I'll look up the exact hex address you need to change as soon as I get home.

Good Luck!

-Jay

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  5. M in LA

M in LA Mobile 28 Years Plus

My Phone:
    iPhone 13 Pro Max, XS Max
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Verizon (since 1994)
    I have a Euro-RAZR that does the same thing. You are NOT roaming, despite how it looks on the display. NO extra charges to worry about.

Along with fixing the VM indicator issue, Jay might have a mod for the alpha-tag as well. Check out his link from his signature. Good Luck.

6. Jay2TheRescue

My Phone:
    Pixel 4a 5G
    Wireless Provider(s):
    AT&Tingular 310-410
    I looked it up. To fix the VM you need to change the following bit in your phone's OS:

SEEM 0032_0001 offset 02 bit 1 = 1 (on)

You will loose manual network selection, but your VM indicator will function properly and you will not have that annoying "line 1" indicator at the top of your phone's screen either.

I will look and see if I have a copy of the new plmn_text_table.bin. If I do I can email it to you. If you replace that file with a newer version it should reflect your true network that you are on.

-Jay

7. SmArTeStChIlD421

SmArTeStChIlD421 Silver Senior Member

My Phone:
    Blackberry 8830
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Sprint
    well........you can also call T-Mobile and have them do an OTA on the phone.....all you need to tell them is that the alpha-tag database is out of date.........they will be more than willing to fix this because not only is the alpha-tag database out of date but the preferred roaming database is probably out of date too.......they can update these settings with OTAs and if they can't they know the service codes to walk you through it manually

thye will be in a hurry to fix it because the updated PRL for T-Mobile is there to helkp them save money and prioritize their roaming networks......despite the fact that you ca manually select them anyway

8. M in LA

M in LA Mobile 28 Years Plus

My Phone:
    iPhone 13 Pro Max, XS Max
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Verizon (since 1994)
    T-Mobile sending an OTA update will not fix the "Cingular" tag issue. Been there, done that. In the case of the alpha tag and the VM icon issue, SEEM edits have been the only things that work.

9. Telekom

Telekom Bronze Senior Member

My Phone:
    Nokia 5310, iPhone 3G[S]
    Wireless Provider(s):
    T-Mobile US, Fido CA, T-Mobile NL, Orange IL
    In order to make the message waiting indicator work properly you'll have to do a "seem edit" to make it work properly for non T-Mobile V3's.

As for the operator identification the firmware in your phone likely sees the network 310-170 which is the cingular network. Even though T-Mobile now controls that network they're still transmitting the cingular identification until cingular totally vacates the network. When T-Mobile bought the network from cingular there is a provision that cingular can continue to use their old network for at least three years while they transition people to the old ATTWS "blue" network. My guess is that when cingular finally vacates the network the network will then be changed to 310-260 like the rest of the T-Mobile network and all handsets will show T-Mobile not just those from T-Mobile.

10. SmArTeStChIlD421

My Phone:
    Blackberry 8830
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Sprint
    understood.......but its always good to have an OTA done......was the V3 and unlocked Cingular RAZR?

cuz if it was it probably is good to do that OTA because you could actually fix prblems before they arise.

and i agree with Telekom.....that agreement with Cingular probably keeps T-Mobile from hard controlling the network into they are no longer present......but then Cingular will just use it as a roaming tower because Cingular still roams on T-Mobile

:censored: even though they don't tell their customers if they are roaming or not :censored:

11. Jay2TheRescue

My Phone:
    Pixel 4a 5G
    Wireless Provider(s):
    AT&Tingular 310-410
    Well, the plmn_text_table.bin only effects unlocked phones. The phones that Cingular sells read the network name from the SIM, not the phone. Cingular programs their SIM cards to show any network you are registered on as "Cingular". OTA updates will not help this because the file is a local file on the phone, not the SIM card. The only way to fix this is to either edit or replace the file.

-Jay

12. SmArTeStChIlD421

My Phone:
    Blackberry 8830
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Sprint
    and CSRs can't edit the settings on the phone.......they can only edit settings on the SIM????? :confused:

13. Jay2TheRescue

My Phone:
    Pixel 4a 5G
    Wireless Provider(s):
    AT&Tingular 310-410
    They can do small things like send batch files to the phone which will configure internet and SMS for you, but for the most part the OTA updates only deal with data in the SIM card. AFAIK they can sometimes change settings, but not actually replace local files on the phone. As I stated earlier phones sold by carriers generally don't use this file anyway so the carriers aren't really that concerned if yours is out of date. If the file is out of date that's a good reason to sell you a new phone - you have old equipment. It doesn't matter if the phone can just be updated. They make more money selling you a new phone. All carriers are guilty of this. They are in business to sell phones and phone service, not service phones.

-Jay

14. SmArTeStChIlD421

My Phone:
    Blackberry 8830
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Sprint
    wow.....i wonder if you can call tech support and ask them to create a executable batch file to change those settings

if not you can prolli have them run you through changing it on the phone.....i know there are some service codes like in CDMA models......can't you change it in the in-phone menus.

15. Jay2TheRescue

My Phone:
    Pixel 4a 5G
    Wireless Provider(s):
    AT&Tingular 310-410
    What you're asking to do is beyond the comprehension of most CSR's. I actually called customer service the other day and the CSR asked me what 3G service was! She then told me that the Motorola V3 RAZR was 3G and I'll have no problems using 3G. It took me 20 minutes just to explain to her that I wasn't using a V3, because her computer told her I had one she wasn't listening. Again, I think replacing this file is beyond what a batch file can do, and even if it can be done by batch file I'm quite sure the person you talk to won't know what you're asking them to do.

If it bothers the OP that much they should learn how to replace the file themselves. The carrier has no interest in fixing this beyond selling a new phone.

-Jay

16. SmArTeStChIlD421

My Phone:
    Blackberry 8830
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Sprint
    well i know that they customer care department cant do it but the tech support department might be able to do it

17. Fire14

Fire14 Easy,Cheap & Sleazy

My Phone:
    EnV
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Verizon
    Since the OP is in California, it's very possible he is roaming on the Cingular network, while they work on the integration. T-Mobile bought the CA & NY/North NJ Network from Cingular after the merger and they didn't finish the integration in CA yet, I believe it's going to be done by the end of the year.

As for getting charged roaming, I believe they have a roaming agreement still in place & you don't get charged for roaming, especially if your on a National account as well as they still I believe have a sharing agreement till the integration is complete.

18. Telekom

Telekom Bronze Senior Member

My Phone:
    Nokia 5310, iPhone 3G[S]
    Wireless Provider(s):
    T-Mobile US, Fido CA, T-Mobile NL, Orange IL
    What the original poster posted is not uncommon at all. He's in California and T-Mobile in California will show Cingular on unlocked devices and will likely remain that way until there are no Cingular subscribers remaining on the network. The agreement when T-Mobile bought the old cingular network in CA/NV was that they could remain on the network for up to three years after the transition while they transition their subscribers to the former AT&T Wireless so called "blue" network. It's likely that when cingular leaves the network that T-Mobile will change the MCC/MNC broadcast on the network to 310-26 (T-Mobile) and change it from the present 310-17 (Cingular.)