Welcome to Our WirelessAdvisor Community!

You are viewing our forums as a GUEST. Please join us so you can post and view all the pictures.
Registration is easy, fast and FREE!

Unlock a phone

Discussion in 'AT&T Wireless Forum' started by chanjet, May 25, 2005.

1. chanjet

chanjet Member

My Phone:
    Nokia 3120
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Cigular
    I am trying to sell my slightly used M400 camera phone. The questions that are asked are.."is the phone unlocked" I don't know what that means Please help. Does anyone need a phone?

2. bobolito

bobolito Diamond Senior Member

Cell Tower Picture Gallery:
    My Phone:
    iPhone SE
    Wireless Provider(s):
    T-Mobile
    What brand is that M400? I've never heard of such phone?

Are you sure you're not talking about your Motorola V400?

I believe the V400 came unlocked already. What that means is that you can put SIM cards from any other company. Just try and borrow a T-Mobile or AT&T Wireless SIM card (or any company other than Cingular), put it in your V400 and if it asks you for "subsidy password" or "unlock code" or something similar, the phone is locked. However, if it doesn't ask for any of that (except for a personal PIN code), then it is unlocked.

If the phone is locked just PM me. I know a place you can go in NYC to unlock it.

By the way, what happened? did you change your phone or switched to another carrier?

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  3. chanjet

chanjet Member

My Phone:
    Nokia 3120
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Cigular
    I tried a Nokia 3120 phone and the results were very good. I can use the phone in my home and the bars have increased. So I am staying with Cingular for two years. I also uograded my service to get more minutes. The phone is a Motorola V400.

4. Shizam76

Shizam76 Shizam! Babyyyyy!

My Phone:
    Samsung Galaxy Note 4
    Wireless Provider(s):
    at&t
    Out of curiosity....what plan were you on....and what plan did you go to?

5. chanjet

chanjet Member

My Phone:
    Nokia 3120
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Cigular
    I had the lowest plan you can get. $19.95 for a month. Now I went to a plan that is 29,00 a month but the min. are much better

6. bobolito

My Phone:
    iPhone SE
    Wireless Provider(s):
    T-Mobile
    hmmm....are you sure? Cingular did not have a $19.99 plan. By the way, you were lucky to get into the $29.99 plan. Cingular is getting rid of it in June. However, this won't make any difference to you since you are already in it, so you will be able to stay in it as long as you want.

Now that you say that signal has improved with the Nokia, that only leads me to believe that you had a defective V400. I have one myself and I also have a couple of Nokias and they are very comparable in reception with the Nokia having a very slight advantage. But the difference is not as dramatic as it seems in your case. You might want to consider getting a warranty exchange though Motorola.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  7. chanjet

chanjet Member

My Phone:
    Nokia 3120
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Cigular
    The Mv400 phone was the second one I tried. Both of them were weak. The Nokia definitely is a better phone. :)

8. chanjet

chanjet Member

My Phone:
    Nokia 3120
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Cigular
    The rate was $19.99 for 50 Min. REG50 was Plan number..

9. bobolito

My Phone:
    iPhone SE
    Wireless Provider(s):
    T-Mobile
    I've never heard of that plan.

Anyway, I was by your area today. Found out T-Mobile is quite weak in front of your house. I was getting about -95dBm, not sufficient for proper indoor service, especially because it is 1900Mhz although it is adequate for outside. Cingular Blue was doing about -85dBm in my V400 which should be good enough for adequate indoor service. I did notice both networks are a bit congested, so maybe at peak times you may encounter problems.

You are in a very nice residential area where towers are not allowed. I would not expect service improving more than that, at least in this lifetime.

10. chanjet

chanjet Member

My Phone:
    Nokia 3120
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Cigular
    Thank you very much for your interest I really appreciate it. Like I said the Nokia 3120 is doing fine and if there is a better phone down the road I will buy it. I sold my Motorola V400 on Ebay for $102.00 so that worked out also. Keep up the good work you have always been very helpful.