Welcome to Our WirelessAdvisor Community!

You are viewing our forums as a GUEST. Please join us so you can post and view all the pictures.
Registration is easy, fast and FREE!

Unlimited International Data Access

Discussion in 'AT&T Wireless Forum' started by CellGeek, Feb 20, 2009.

1. CellGeek

CellGeek Sprint is the BOMB!

My Phone:
    Blackberry 8830
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Sprint
    I went into an ATT Store Today and was looking at the Blackberry Bold. Since I travel internationally for business and currently have an international data plan that is UNLIMITED for $40 per month on Sprint, I inquired about ATT's unlimited international data plan. Yes, you heard me correctly the first time "UNLIMITED". Much to my surprise, ATT doesn't have an unlimited international data plan. They have several plans ranging from $70/month for 50MB of international data. Yes, you heard me correctly, 50MB, not 500MB or 5GB... 50 magabytes!! Whein operamini and a 3G connection on my 8840 I can easily burn through 10 megabytes in several minutes. ATT also offers another plan for $200 that provides 200MB of international data. With my Sprint plan, I have traveled all over Asia and Europe and paid only 40 dollars while consuming data like a fish breathing water.

I expected that because ATT is number-one, and is the king of the hill, that I would pay at least $80 (twice what I am paying Sprint) for unlimited data. Again, in this day and age, the operative word is unlimited. It is just unbelievable. If I had ATT and consumed data internationally on my Blackberry at the current rate, my monthly bill with att would be several thousand dollars just for the international data roaming! (holy crap Batman) All that I ever pay no matter how much international data that I use is $40 and I roam on the same GSM networks internationally that you ATT folks roam on.

I was completely blown-away by this disparity in cost for the exact same service on the same GSM networks. Talk about getting taken to the cleaners!!

:loony::eek::rant::thumbsdow:confused::censored:

1 person likes this.
  2. larry

larry Sprint loyalist and former mod

Cell Tower Picture Gallery:
    My Phone:
    Galaxy S22+
    Wireless Provider(s):
    T-Mobile
    Thanks for doing that research and giving us the comparisons. Seems to me that Sprint just blows away the competition for unlimited data whether it's here or international.

3. chokaay

chokaay Junior Member

My Phone:
    Palm Centro
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Sprint

HOLY C**P!!! I can't believe they took away their $70 international data package (they had it there a year or so ago)! And I REALLY can't believe they believe anyone would pay so much for a tiny bit of international data! :eek::eek::eek:

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  4. CellGeek

My Phone:
    Blackberry 8830
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Sprint
    Very True. It is very interesting that Sprint can charge me $40 and they are still making money. Do that math. In one minute using OperaMini, I can easily consume 1MB of data. The overage charge on ATT is $0.005 per KB. That is $5 per megabyte.60 Minutes is $300. 10 days abroad is $3000. I am completely blown away. I can't express it in words!!! :censored:

5. KevinJames

KevinJames WA's 1st retired mod

My Phone:
    Samsung S7-Edge
    Wireless Provider(s):
    AT&T & Verizon
    why, if you were happy with Sprint, did you go to ATT in the first place?

Don't get me wrong, I'm not challenging you. It just seems odd. I mean, we've all known for years that Sprint is cheaper. All you did was confirm what we already know. Personally, I have traveled out of the country only three times in my life. I'd love to travel more, but finding a business that does that seems harder and harder. Most are going to virtual multimedia conferencing etc.

6. charlyee

charlyee Ultimate Insanity
    Super Moderator Senior Member

My Phone:
    iPhone X
    Wireless Provider(s):
    at&t/Airtel/Turkcell
    I do a reasonable amount of international travel on both business and for pleasure. When I travel on business, I have my laptop with me and never had a need to use data on my cell phone.

When I am on vacation, other than checking my E-Mail I have rarely found a need to access data on a regular basis, from my phone.

I subscribed to the $25 for 20 MB the last time and barely used 9MB in 16 days, checking E-Mail twice a day and occassionally the weather back home, and other such items.

As Kevin James mentioned, it is a known fact that Sprint is cheaper.

AT&T's plans vary from $25 to $200 and the details are right on their website. :)

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  7. CellGeek

My Phone:
    Blackberry 8830
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Sprint
    It is not just Sprint that is cheaper. VZW, T-Mob, and Sprint all have unlimited data plans for less than $100/mo. What is wrong with ATT? They need to pull their head out of the sane (or somewhere else) and realize that in this day and age folks expect unlimited data plans and don't want to receive cell pone bills in the thousands of dollars for overages on data roaming. ATT had a good plan and they discontinues it. Now I understand why some of my employees say that if you want good internations roaming deals, you need to go with T-Mob. What is interesting here is that even VZW is eating ATT's lunch in this regard. :loony:

8. charlyee

charlyee Ultimate Insanity
    Super Moderator Senior Member

My Phone:
    iPhone X
    Wireless Provider(s):
    at&t/Airtel/Turkcell
    I have to disagree, T-Moble is $10/MB in Canada and $15/MB in all ither countries (International Internet Charges))
    As far is AT&T pulling their head out of wherever or else, have fun convincing them with their profits and new customer additions that were posted for Q4.

PS: I am amazed that with the way you feel about AT&T you are asking questions about them and even remotely considering switching.

9. KevinJames

My Phone:
    Samsung S7-Edge
    Wireless Provider(s):
    AT&T & Verizon
    Jim's entitled to his opinion and i respect it. It just seemed like a thinly vailed attempt at gloating. I completely agree that an unlimited data plan for some users would be great. However, the industry as a whole as much 5 or more years ago readily made it known that they saw the data side of wireless as being their cash cow. As long as ATT maintains its market share, it won't change. And, as was mentioned, even though wireline is suffering, wireless (and other advanced products such as DSL & UVerse) are really carrying the company right now.

10. josephd

josephd Tomorrow is another day.

My Phone:
    White iPhone 5C 16GB
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Verizon
    And maybe and this is just my opinion, that part of Sprint's financial woes are they doing what the old AT&T Wireless did... Give away the store to keep everyone happy.

#10 josephd, Feb 20, 2009
    Last edited: Feb 20, 2009
  11. CellGeek

My Phone:
    Blackberry 8830
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Sprint
    Yes, I was actually considering switching to ATT. I like to have access to the latest Blackberrys and that was entirely my motivation for undertaking an analysis of the performance of the 3G service and the cost of the voice and data plans. Since Sprint can't seem to supply a date for new International Blackberrys, I was highly motivated to dump them and was going to purchase a Blackberry Bold from ATT and begin testing the device even though I know that the service would have been at least 60 percent more $$$ per month. On the other hand, after doing the research, I found that it would cost me thousands of dollars to switch to ATT because of their ridiculuous international data rates. I really didn't realize the extent of the wonderful deal that was available from Sprint. Based upon my research, there is no way that I can make the switch to ATT. It would be insane.

-jim

12. CellGeek

My Phone:
    Blackberry 8830
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Sprint
    Joseph,

I believe that you may be correct and I am worried that my great deal with Sprint (even though I pay them over $300/mo for a great value) may be going away if Sprint goes belly-up. It aggrivates me when contracts expire and folks have 5 sero plans and expect Sprint to pony-up even more discounts!! That is the reason that Sprint is going belly-up. Sprint needs to tell these folks to take a hike and that the freeloading is over! :twocents:

13. chokaay

chokaay Junior Member

My Phone:
    Palm Centro
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Sprint

I don't know if it's an attempt at gloating... based on his posts, it seems that Jim very much would love to leave Sprint and switch to AT&T for "cooler" phones ASAP. However, it seems that he's run into a few "issues" that either concerns him (ie: AT&T 2G/3G coverage in SoCal), or doesn't suit him very well (ie: pricing).

As for T-Mobile's International Roaming "packages", T-Mobile still has their BlackBerry Unlimited International E-mail Add-On for $19.99/mo (no commitment, so you can cancel anytime, and add it anytime). This add-on allows you to check your e-mail in any country T-Mobile has a roaming agreement (or native coverage) with/in... but people using this report that they could use data internationally as well and NOT get charged for it (as late as a few months ago). YMMV though, since based on the wording this add-on isn't "supposed" to have this capability...

14. chokaay

chokaay Junior Member

My Phone:
    Palm Centro
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Sprint

As for worrying Sprint will go "belly-up", IMHO you don't need to worry about that right now. Just as you mentioned, Sprint seems to be in the process of becoming more strict with freebies and its generosity it was known for in the past. Not only that, but market analysts upgraded Sprint's rating to "outperform" from "market perform" (and some are even forecasting an eventual buyout/merger with T-Mobile... although I don't think that will be very likely).

Besides, if Sprint goes "belly-up" (worst case scenerio) then you have a few weeks to find another carrier that suits your usage/interests and can port your numbers over ETF-free! Otherwise, if Sprint gets bought/merged, and they decide to get rid of all the SERO plans, then you STILL get a few weeks to find another carrier that suits your usage/interests and can port your numbers over ETF-free! In fact, whenever (IF-ever) this happens, AT&T, T-Mobile, and Verizon will probably have NEW rate plans and/or NEW promotions out that you'll have to take into account anyway... so what's the use of trying to find a suitable carrier right NOW if it's all going to change LATER? :confused:

15. larry

larry Sprint loyalist and former mod

My Phone:
    Galaxy S22+
    Wireless Provider(s):
    T-Mobile
    Agreed. A carrier with 50 million customers won't just disappear. Worst case scenario is that someone buys them out. BUT that doesn't mean we will lose any of our sweet plans that we have going with Sprint. Any potential buyer of Sprint will want to keep the customer base happy and will very likely just carry things over. Anyone who could potentially buy Sprint will not be AT&T or Verizon which is good.

We have heard the rumor about T-Mobile's parent company all set to acquire Sprint. Didn't happen. Then we heard the rumors about the Korean company taking over Sprint. The way people were talking about it it sounded like a done deal. But guess what...Didn't happen. Let's see, then it was a consortium of cable companies and private equity investors. Once again didn't happen. So let's not be so quick to write Sprint off just yet because they just might be around for a while.

But anyway this is the AT&T forum and this is getting way off topic talking about Sprint stuff.

#15 larry, Feb 21, 2009
    Last edited: Feb 21, 2009
  16. viewfly

viewfly Mobile RF Advisor

My Phone:
    iPhone XS Space Grey
    Wireless Provider(s):
    AT&T; Tmobile SIM only

Hey, those rates sound good. I'll pass it on to friends thinking of Sprint. Help me out though. I can only find Sprint rates of $0.016/kB for foreign countries. I combed the on line site and cannot find any unlimited foreign data packages Can you give me a pointer?

ATT used to have an unlimited email BB package for $70; no other data. That's been retired. Now all the smartphones start at $25 for 20 MB and up for data. No package plan and it is $0.0195/kB

Of course there is always WiFi which could be free. Sprint must be eating $$. How can they charge the same or less than data plans in all those countries??

Thanks!

P.S. you can use 60 MB of data in an hour? Impressive

17. CellGeek

My Phone:
    Blackberry 8830
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Sprint
    Here is some information for you friend. I just signed-up another line and I am out of contract with Sprint.

That is not how it works. The 5GB domestic data cap is for Laptop devices (laptop data cards or tethering). There is NO CAP on data for a PDA.

http://www.phonenews.com/sprint-add...nternational-data-access-for-40-a-month-5277/

Call the Sprint International Data Customer Service if you want to sign-up. If you travel internationally, it is worth paying the ETF and getting a Sprint Phone with unlimited International Data Service. Their phone number is 866.840.9539.

18. KevinJames

My Phone:
    Samsung S7-Edge
    Wireless Provider(s):
    AT&T & Verizon
    The bigger they are the harder they fall. Look at the old ATT, look at USSR, look at East Germany.

19. SmArTeStChIlD421

SmArTeStChIlD421 Silver Senior Member

My Phone:
    Blackberry 8830
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Sprint
    or at least force them to the new SEP plans when they upgrade.......my mom and i both have grandfathered SERO plans.......i would gladly pay the $30 more and my mom would prolli switch to a regular plan