Welcome to Our WirelessAdvisor Community!

You are viewing our forums as a GUEST. Please join us so you can post and view all the pictures.
Registration is easy, fast and FREE!

Unlimited and Tether

Discussion in 'Sprint Forum' started by Shizam76, Apr 4, 2008.

1. Shizam76

Shizam76 Shizam! Babyyyyy!

Cell Tower Picture Gallery:
    My Phone:
    Samsung Galaxy Note 4
    Wireless Provider(s):
    at&t
    A friend of mine has Sprint and was thinking about the unlimited everything. He currently is on the $40 data plan which includes use as "phone as modem" or tethering.

The unlimited states you cannot tether on this plan.

He asked if they somehow lockout tethering? Or would know about it?

He uses PDANet.

I told him they probably wouldn't lock it out...as they don't on at&t. I told him they would probably know if they looked, but probably wouldn't look at him, if he tethered with his current usage...which is not that much. I told him if he kept tethering 24/7...tons of Gigs, they would find him!

Is this the case? he is not sure if he is going to change or not.

2. AnthroMatt

AnthroMatt Big Meanie
    Super Moderator

Cell Tower Picture Gallery:
    My Phone:
    Apple iPhone 13 Pro
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Verizon, AT&T Prepaid
    Yes that is probably the case...he could likely get away with it. And I think it is easier to get away with a moderate amount of tethering now that you can stream video and audio onto devices (legitimately) from Sprint's own content.

3. djcmaz

djcmaz Junior Member

My Phone:
    BLACKJACK / TILT
    Wireless Provider(s):
    SPRINT - (WORK PHONE)/ CINGULAR
    It's a 50/50 chance of getting caught. If you get caught you can loose right the the simply everything plan.

If you are gonna use it for checking email etc. the chance is good you will fall under the radar. As long as you have the right program and it is set to the correct dns.

I would choose PAM if your tethering needs are only occasional (like no more than once or twice a week) and aren't going to be for long periods.

If you feel like you're consistently going to tether your laptop a lot, then I would go with the separate data card route.

Keep in mind that with PAM on EVDO:

- You can do voice or data, but not both at the same time.
    - Some phones will send calls to voicemail, others will end the data session and let the call go through.
    - With the exception of (I think) the Mogul, all of the current phones will only give you Rev. 0 data. That means download speed will be decent, but upload speeds will be slow and latency will be high.

With a current model data card you'll get EVDO Rev A, which drastically improves upload speed and even increases download speeds somewhat.

U727 is about 700-1270 kbs/300-540kbs with ping 86-264ms.

PAM with Treo 755p is 250-800kbs/50-130kbs with ping 200-490ms.