Welcome to Our WirelessAdvisor Community!

You are viewing our forums as a GUEST. Please join us so you can post and view all the pictures.
Registration is easy, fast and FREE!

Unicel - Phone Suggestions

Discussion in 'Northeastern US Wireless Forum' started by sesro1978, Mar 19, 2008.

1. sesro1978

sesro1978 New Member

Hi-

I'm thinking of switching to Unicel from Verizon Wireless in VT. As such I'm wondering what are considered to be "good" phones for Unicel.

I'm thinking in terms of:

Call quality
    Battery Life
    Build Quality
    BT - Would be nice
    Screen resolution

I've often had luck with Nokia phones...

Any suggestions would be helpful.

Thanks,
    Sesro

2. Bill Clinton

Bill Clinton 10 years scandal free....

Cell Tower Picture Gallery:
    My Phone:
    HTC Mogul
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Sprint, Unicel
    I picked up the Nokia 6085 a few weeks back. It's not really an exciting phone, but it has Bluetooth, a micro SD slot, and good battery life. The internal display in not inspiring so I would suggest you stop by a Unicel store and see what you think.

Apparently the 6085 gets slightly better reception than other phones which was why I bought it. I use Sprint most of the time and I had 3 lines with them, but I switched my second line over to Unicel because they have the best coverage in Vermont and I also like having a GSM phone for travel. The 6085 is not flashy, but it is a good device.

I would recommend the 6085, but you should really go into a Unicel store and see what other phones they have before you buy one.

Unicel is a GSM carrier so unlike Verizon, you will have a SIM card with all your information stored on it. You can put that SIM card into any unlocked GSM phone. If your phone breaks this is particularly handy, or if you want to upgrade devices, you can buy any unlocked GSM phone and put your SIM card in it. You don't have to do it through Unicel. The new phone will be your phone number and it will have all your contacts and everything stored on the SIM card.

3. djjim

djjim Senior Member

My Phone:
    LG VX8370 Clout
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Verizon (Old:Alltel, Nextel, At&t, USCC, Cricket)
    Wouldn't this be a foolish thing to do since Unicel will become Verizon any day now?

4. Caledan

Caledan New Member

I am a Sprint/ Nextel customer in Vt., have been for years since I switched from Verizon 5 years ago. Each place I have lived the other has worked but now I am going to switch to Unicel after June 1st of this year. That is when AT&T are taking over Unicel.
    The Unicel stores are already telling the new customers that AT&T is taking over on the 1st of June 08.
    Yes that means we can have our iPhone, I use a Mac but won't buy one until the 2nd or 3rd generation comes out. Might have to get a Treo.

5. djjim

djjim Senior Member

My Phone:
    LG VX8370 Clout
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Verizon (Old:Alltel, Nextel, At&t, USCC, Cricket)
    You do know it depends on what part of VT you live in? Some pieces of Unicel will become Verizon, others will become AT&T.

6. Caledan

Caledan New Member

Yeah, unfortunately I will still have to wait a bit to see how the coverage will be, since I need nation wide without those high price roaming charges. Since I am in the so called "major" city hopefully AT&T is it or I might have to check out Verizon again.

7. dmarkson

dmarkson New England Wireless Guru

My Phone:
    9530, v3xx
    Wireless Provider(s):
    VZW, AT&T, TMO, USC, BOOST, VIRG, PP
    The Northern VT (including the major city) Unicel network will be going to AT&T

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...