Welcome to Our WirelessAdvisor Community!

You are viewing our forums as a GUEST. Please join us so you can post and view all the pictures.
Registration is easy, fast and FREE!

Uh oh...I'm confused (nothing new)...RE: Interconnecting systems...

Discussion in 'Northeastern US Wireless Forum' started by Guest, Jan 12, 2002.

1. Guest

Guest Guest

Went to my local Radio Shack to see what they had to offer (cell phone wise). They tout AT&T. Okay. Now, according to the clerks there, ATT isn't offering any special sign-up deals right now (free phone, etc.) and if I buy a Nokia that is set up for Verizon, it' won't work when/if I get out of an area that is served by Verizon because AT&T and Verizon don't have an agreement to act as each other's carrier in areas not serviced by the primary carrier. They also said ATT rates just went up. So, I guess my question is, if I get Verizon as my provider, buy a Nokia dual mode phone, that phone will only be good where there is Verizon coverage? Is the dual mode only for analog/digital? Are ATT and Ver. analog or digital? I'm nowhere's near as cognizant of all the ins and outs of cell phone usage as everyone else on this board but I figured I'll learn...with your help.

2. KevinJames

KevinJames WA's 1st retired mod

My Phone:
    Samsung S7-Edge
    Wireless Provider(s):
    AT&T & Verizon
    I'm not sure I followed all your questions so I'll just state the basics.

ATT is a TDMA carrier that has both digital and analog towers and handsets (phones). ATT is upgrading its TDMA systems to GSM.

Verizon is a CDMA carrier that has both digital and analog towers and handsets.

Digitally, (TDMA vs CDMA) the carriers are incompatible. I was surprised to learn recently (according to Verizon) that ATT and Verizon do indeed share analog towers (at least here in California).

From what I have read on the NorthEast board (and I urge to spend some time reading the postings yourself) on the East Coast, Verizon has better coverage than does ATT.

If you feel you need to educate yourself on the technologies, you will find my website has some very valuable links.

Kevin

3. Guest

Guest Guest

Thank you, Kevin. Your response WAS helpful. HOWEVER...
    1. If a person has a dual mode phone, does that mean it can go digital OR analog?
    2. If I have Verizon (which appears to be the better one in NE PA), and drive out of the range of it's antenna, will my call be dropped or will another service pick up the signal and keep me on?
    From what I've read in some of the servers' literature, there is a possibility of being charged for calls that use other servers. I know I'm not saying this right and I don't know how to explain what I'm trying to say. Sheesh! I'm going to go cut out the part that addresses this and paste it here.

4. Guest

Guest Guest

Kevin, here's a c&p from the Verizon site:

"There may be times when you are roaming on another carrier's network. The billing for roaming minutes used on another carrier's network and related long distance charges (if applicable) may be delayed depending on when Verizon Wireless is billed by the other carrier."

I understand that analog would only "roam" on analog, and ditto for digital but if I have a dual mode phone and I'm using digital then drive into an analog "zone", will the phone automatically switch to analog and keep going or do I lose the call?

5. KevinJames

KevinJames WA's 1st retired mod

My Phone:
    Samsung S7-Edge
    Wireless Provider(s):
    AT&T & Verizon
  6. Guest

Guest Guest

Coverage in NE PA -

I'd be careful about assuming Verizon has superior coverage throughout NE PA. Verizon is superior in Tunkhannock and surrounding areas of Wyoming County, but their infrastructure is definitely not as developed through the fringes of Scranton and WB.

jason