Welcome to Our WirelessAdvisor Community!

You are viewing our forums as a GUEST. Please join us so you can post and view all the pictures.
Registration is easy, fast and FREE!

Two phones on one number?

Discussion in 'Central US Wireless Forum' started by AZO, Apr 17, 2003.

1. AZO

AZO Junior Member

My Phone:
    Kyocera Slider
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Alltel
    Hello. Is it possible to have two phones on one phone number? I have a StarTAC and a Kyocera 5135 that I would like to use at different times (kind of like two pairs of shoes). Thanks.

2. Matt

Matt Twin girls!

Cell Tower Picture Gallery:
    My Phone:
    MyTouch 4G
    Wireless Provider(s):
    T-Mobile
    I'm not sure since I am not a CMDA user, but I don't think it's possible. GSM phones, like those sold by T-Mobile, and also AT&T and Cingular in some areas, have a SIM card that allows you to use (theoretically) as many phones as you want as your info. is stored on the card.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  3. PatP

PatP Junior Member

For general CDMA use, you can't actually have two phones use one phone number. There are some tricks you can do that get close for the general CDMA case, and if you work with a very limited set of towers you might be able to actually program the network to behave like the two phones shared a number. The short answer is: no, as far as I know there is no practical way to get two CDMA phones to share one phone number.

As Matt pointed out, if you have GSM phones the "identity" is stored in the SIM, so you can theoretically use as many phone bodies as you like, one at a time. I don't think this applies to GAIT phones, due to the extra handshake issues involved with them, but I'm not positive about that.

-PatP

4. bobolito

bobolito Diamond Senior Member

My Phone:
    iPhone SE
    Wireless Provider(s):
    T-Mobile
    Theoretically, you should be able to use a GAIT SIM card in any GSM phone. It is one of the requirements of GAIT.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  5. Codepyro

Codepyro Senior Member

having 2 phones on one phone number is called cloning...it is illegal and providers go to great meaasures to stop this...most GSM companies have also taken counter measures to prevent cloning...

6. AZO

AZO Junior Member

My Phone:
    Kyocera Slider
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Alltel
    Codepyro, thanks for your reply. I don't have a clue how the rules and regulations work. I hadn't heard of others using two phones on one number, so I figured there must be some reason it wasn't being done. I guess I don't understand why it is illegal since all I'm doing is burning up my own minutes. I don't think it's possible to use two phones on the same number at the same time, so what's the big deal? My wife has her own phone and phone number so I wasn't trying to create my own "family plan." I was just hoping to be able to use my minutes the way I want to, legally.

7. sunnymoma7

sunnymoma7 New Member

Nextel does have an option where you can have 2 phones on one number. It is the only one that I know of. Otherwise you could just have your customer service people switch the phones on your account from one to the other when you want to switch and use your other phone.

8. Codepyro

Codepyro Senior Member

i really doubt that nextel has this option....i'm aware of nextel having the option of having 2 phone number on 1 phone but not the other way around...the reason why its illegal is the same reason why technically using cable/satellite on two tv but paying for only one box is illegal...

9. bobolito

My Phone:
    iPhone SE
    Wireless Provider(s):
    T-Mobile
    AZO, since you said "kind of like two pairs of shoes", I was under the impression that you were talking about using one phone at a time, not both at the same time on the same phone number. IF you want to use one phone at a time, then GSM phones will allow you to change phones anytime by placing the SIM card on another GSM phone as long as the phone is unlocked or from the same carrier the SIM card belongs to.

Now, using BOTH phones at the same time on one number is a different story and not allowed.

10. AZO

AZO Junior Member

My Phone:
    Kyocera Slider
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Alltel
    Bobolito, thanks for your response. I'm afraid I don't know what GSM means or if ALLTEL has such a thing. When I originally signed on with ALLTEL they thought they would be able to convert my old StarTAC 7868w from Verizon CDMA to ALLTEL CDMA without any trouble. After several weeks of sending the StarTAC from one service department to another (ALLTEL loaned me a 5135 while this was going on) they finally gave up and said it couldn't be done. Since they couldn't convert it I bought the Kyocera 5135 which works fairly well for the area I'm in. The StartTAC worked like a dream on Verizon. I left Verizon because they didn't have digital service in my area which led to several other problems.

We went with the family plan and my wife has a V60i and her own phone number, I have the 5135 and my own phone number and we share monthly minutes and unlimited M2M.

Last week a gentleman who had purchased a StarTAC like mine on Ebay tried to get his phone to work on Verizon and they ran into the same problem I did since his phone had been originally purchased through ALLTEL. He read one of my earlier epistles and sent me an email message suggesting we exchange phones which we did. He took my old phone (purchased through Verizon in Grand Rapids, MI) to his Verizon store in NJ and they were able to fire it up perfectly. Now that I have his old StarTAC from ALLTEL (which is my current provider) I would like to be able to use it. One of the original reasons I agreed to switch to ALLTEL was they thought they could convert my StarTAC to ALLTEL since I had recently purchased new batteries, a great hands-free system and a dual charger for it. Since my StarTAC doesn't have some of the functions my 5135 has so I was hoping to be able to use whichever phone I need at the time.

It appears that the only thing I can do is take the StarTAC to my local ALLTEL office and have them fire it up and see how it compares to my 5135 and figure out which one best serves my needs.

Sorry for the long message. I almost nodded off writing it. I can't imagine what reading it is going to be like.

Lynn

11. bobolito

My Phone:
    iPhone SE
    Wireless Provider(s):
    T-Mobile
    Lynn,

GSM is type of digital network used by cell phones. Some companies, like T-Mobile, Cingular and AT&T use this technology. However, Alltell, Sprint PCS and Verizon do not use this technology. They use another type of digital network called CDMA. Of course, phones have to be compatible to the network they belong to in order to work with that network. In other words, a GSM phone will not work with a CDMA carrier and viceversa. With CDMA, the only way to change a phone while keeping the same number is by calling the customer service dept. of your carrier and ask them to change the ESN (serial number) of the phone in your account. With GSM carriers you can do this by simply changing the SIM card from one phone to another. A SIM card is a small electronic card used by GSM phones. CDMA phones do not have SIM cards. With either technology (GSM or CDMA) you can only use one phone at a time.