Welcome to Our WirelessAdvisor Community!

You are viewing our forums as a GUEST. Please join us so you can post and view all the pictures.
Registration is easy, fast and FREE!

Trying to decide on a switch from AT&T to Verizon?

Discussion in 'Western US Wireless Forum' started by dansmom, Jul 19, 2002.

1. dansmom

dansmom New Member

Trying to decide on a switch from AT&T to Verizon?

[​IMG]

I am hoping for some "expert" advice on the quality of calls with Verizon in the Phoenix Metro area (East Valley, Gilbert). I'm currently using ATT with there $19.99/60min local plan. I only use about 30 min. locally. I am looking to save some money and use the phone for long distance. I use over 600 min. a month in long distance. Would Verizon give me clear calls like my home phone does? I am looking at the 1000min for $55 plan that Verizon is offering. If it helps to know I have an old Nokia 5160 and the call quality is "delayed" and not very crisp. Any help would be appreciated.

2. Woodman

Woodman Junior Member

In Phoenix both at&t and verizon have good service. I have used both and found clarity to be roughly the same however i have had a few more dropped calls with at&t. Compared to your home phone, the quality will be very good but calls do get dropped and such. It is a risk you take. You will have to get a new phone since verizon uses different technology. FYI, the 1000min/$55 promo ends at the end of the month. Hope this helps some.

3. dansmom

dansmom New Member

Thanks for your reply. Could you recommend a good phone for this plan?

[​IMG]

4. Woodman

Woodman Junior Member

It all depends on how much you want to spend. If you want a high end phone , the motorola v60c is a great phone. it is what i use and i am extremely happy with it. I figured that since i dont have a regular home phone, spend a little bit more and get a good cell phone. as far as midrange phones the samsung t300 is good as is the v120c and the kyocera 2235. hope this gets you started.

5. Guest

Guest Guest

I think that AT&T provides pretty service as well. Why don't you try and get a new phone to test and see if AT&T will work for you. My experience with both providers tells me that AT&T will give you better coverage and comparable voice quality. Plus, you might just qualify for the AT&T Customer Advantage.

6. RH

RH Junior Member

My Phone:
    Nokia 6102I
    Wireless Provider(s):
    T-Mobile, Cingular
    I live in the Scottsdale area and have used Verizon, ATT and VS(prepay). Verizon has the most native coverage and works pretty well they do have a 15day return policy so you could give them a try. I recently went back to ATT since I think they treat existing customers better with a loyalty program and better CS. However, since they converted the system to GSM here the TDMA(which you have) has gone down the tubes since I was with them two years ago. Lots of system busys and bad call quality. Another provder that I have tried recently that has great sound quality better that Verizon in IMO is VS but the coverage area here is small and they only give you 72hrs to test them out in order to get out of the contract but they also give you the most min for the money.

Hope I did not add to the confusion.

RH