Welcome to Our WirelessAdvisor Community!

You are viewing our forums as a GUEST. Please join us so you can post and view all the pictures.
Registration is easy, fast and FREE!

Trying to decide b/w Verizon or Sprint

Discussion in 'Western US Wireless Forum' started by vicken, Feb 23, 2007.

1. vicken

vicken Junior Member

Wireless Provider(s):
    Verizon
    I am really having a problem trying to decide between VZW and SPCS. I know that with the SERO plans that SPCS has more to offer, but I can't shake the fact that I feel like VZW would just have more reliable service and definitely better customer service.

I would get more on the one hand with SPCS but have less headaches with VZW. I'm really driving myself crazy trying to decide. Any help would be appreciated.

2. larry

larry Sprint loyalist and former mod

Cell Tower Picture Gallery:
    My Phone:
    Galaxy S22+
    Wireless Provider(s):
    T-Mobile
    What makes you think that Verizon would have more reliable service? Their brainwashing ad campaigns or have you actually known someone who's having problems in an area that you need to use your service? Don't just automatically assume that Verizon is best all of the time.

3. JasonWells

JasonWells Junior Member

My Phone:
    AT&T i phone
    Wireless Provider(s):
    AT&T, VZW
    From experiences, my recommendation is Sprint over VZW.

I fell victim to the 'Verizon is best' ad campaigns two times. I was displeased both times, and when it came down to resolving problems, they always would take it their way. I had Sprint for a while in 04. Even though the CS reps were usually out of the country, I had much better results getting complaints resolved. The reason I dropped VZW was because I was billed several hundred dollars a month for various months for roaming while using the 'native network' in SD & SW MN. Even though the second time I was assured it wouldn't happen, it did. And VZW didn't care. With Sprint, the coverage at the time was fine in most towns and major roadways, but in the very rural areas was only analog. They offered nearly all free roaming, but I declined. Now, especially with the SERO plan, the roaming is digital and included, none-the-less the phone can be used on force roam (try not to use over 50%), which works great from watching friends use it.

I now use Alltel, which has coverage, even when my friends with VZW have 'no service'. I have seriously considered getting a Sprint SERO plan, and absolutely no more VZW. My friends and uncle have left VZW for T-Mobile. I hope this helps. Good luck, and be certain to exercise your trial periods.

4. JasonWells

JasonWells Junior Member

My Phone:
    AT&T i phone
    Wireless Provider(s):
    AT&T, VZW
    I have read where Sprint has great coverage in SoCal, especially in the hills. The nice thing with Sprint is that if you put the phone on roam only, it will usually use VZW anyway, or another carrier.

5. vicken

vicken Junior Member

Wireless Provider(s):
    Verizon
    VZW is the most reliable according to the independent research companies like consumer reports and jd powers. I feel like these companies are very reputable and have no agenda. If not for these studies that they have done I probably would be going with SPCS, but instead I am leaning towards VZW.

6. JasonWells

JasonWells Junior Member

My Phone:
    AT&T i phone
    Wireless Provider(s):
    AT&T, VZW
    My father subscribes to Consumer Reports, and I was just looking at the cell phone and cell service article last evening. It is from Jan 07.?. I also noticed that they rated VZW and Alltel the top picks. I was taking into account my experiences and experiences of people I know when making the recommendation. I also was considering the Sprint SERO offer, 500mins, unlimited n&w at 7pm, free power vision w/ tv, free activation, etc for $30/mo. A similar plan with VZW will be a good amount more $, if not double, with no option for n&w @7. Any time a plan change occurs with VZW, they extend the contract for another 2yrs. The Sprint phone can run on VZW by setting it to roam only. But in SoCal, it may not be necessary. However, you are making the decision and must make what works the best for you. I wish you good luck and let us know how whichever is working for you. Good Luck!

7. larry

My Phone:
    Galaxy S22+
    Wireless Provider(s):
    T-Mobile
    Yes Sprint is king of the Hollywood Hills, Beverly Hills, Malibu and even Palos Verdes areas. They really went after these locations in the early 2000's before the NIMBY's came out and zoning rules changed.

8. larry

My Phone:
    Galaxy S22+
    Wireless Provider(s):
    T-Mobile
    If you've been around here long enough like me you'll know how most of the regulars feel about those surveys. :rolleyes:

9. vicken

vicken Junior Member

Wireless Provider(s):
    Verizon
    What's wrong with the consumer reports and jd powers surveys? I know that they don't survey every person out there but with the amount of people they survey you do get a feel for what is good and what isn't. Plus, I think that consumer reports does some testing of their own and jd powers verifies that you actually own the product that you are being surveyed on.

With all this being said I like the fact that SPCS can roam on VZW, Alltell, etc., whenever you need to, so I would think that would make SPCS the most coverage. I don't know if maybe they get more dropped calls than VZW. If SPCS couldn't roam freely on these carriers I wouldn't even consider SPCS, I would have already signed up with VZW.

10. larry

My Phone:
    Galaxy S22+
    Wireless Provider(s):
    T-Mobile
    JD Powers and Consumer Reports basically always show the same results. It's obvious that they are stuck in the mentality of picking the same way each and every time. They even give T-Mobile awards in some markets even though T-Mobile has/had the highest churn rate. I just don't think their results are a way to judge a carrier because they pretty much survey the same people every time. And I'm sure a lot of people on here will agree with me.

11. Fire14

Fire14 Easy,Cheap & Sleazy

My Phone:
    EnV
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Verizon
    I agree with you 100% larry, I do believe they survey the exact same people everytime, I also believe as do others that Consumer Reports has it out for Cingular, prior to that they had it out for AT&T Wireless. I know everytime JD Powers does a wireless survey I am asked to do it, so I don't see much in the way of getting diversified opinions from them as well.
    Some wonder if Verizon donates to Consumer Reports.

12. nvdataman

nvdataman New Member

I don't know how JD Power conducts their survey but in the case of CR there is no sampling which leads to biased responses. Those who really love or hate a product are most inclined to respond. In any situation where the data are generated by surveys you have to know methods. DR's is less than ideal.

13. larry

My Phone:
    Galaxy S22+
    Wireless Provider(s):
    T-Mobile
    I don't think any of us really know how those surveys and the politics behind them work exactly. Some of us might have our theories and speculation but do we really know everything that goes on behind closed doors? I think you have to question these things especially because it's obvious they contact the same people (fire14) every time and other people (like me) never get surveyed.

14. BillRadio

BillRadio Wireless Consultant

My Phone:
    Motorola
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Verizon, T-Mobile, AT&T, Sprint
    The OP asked for help from us in deciding between Verizon & Sprint. Larry uses Sprint in SoCal, and I use both when I drive through from time to time. I feel the difference between the coverage of the two in SoCal is so small, it would not be not be the primary reasoon to choose one over the other.

Instead, I would look at other features: price, cool phones, additional services, etc. Today, I would choose Sprint because it's cheaper...price being my most motivating decision. Additional differences would be secondary to me, but could be critical to others. It's good to check what CR & JDP has to say, but we are a different resource.

Where I travel, Verizon is slightly superior because coverage issues are more important here...but not in SoCal. CA is one of the most (if not the most) critical markets for Sprint and they have done a spectacular job in serving it, and their roaming agreements are truly the best available.

"Reliability" just isn't a concern. That means the service doesn't break down, right? Well, neither network has broken down with the exception of a severed cable here or a broken cell site there. It happens to all of 'em.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  15. sid pearlman

sid pearlman New Member

My Phone:
    VZW Branded Nokia 6256i
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Verizon, SPCS(FreeRoam), T-Mobile Prepay (back up)
    I thought that most persons would agree that Verizon has much less wait time in gettng to a CS agent. Which is always nice, however a few times I felt that I wasn't getting much more than a warm body. Having heard many horror stories of long waits from friends using SPCS in the past, is not something I'd like to sign up with. The percieved long wait times from SPCS is one of the major issues that keeps me with VZW. Having said that, I spent at least 3 hours, but it felt much, much longer, over a period of months getting a problem straightened out with Cingular. Speaking with an agent that can actually resolve an issue is another level of service indeed.

I keep VZW partly because I still have 7 PM nights from a grandfathered plan. Take that away and I'd look at those plans on SPCS that allow roaming on VZW and especially analog out in the boonies.
    The key to anything to do with telecom seems to be avoid having to speak to a CS agent in the first place and not changing any kind of billing. Billing changes provide fertile soil for error creation, but so far I haven't found a way of avoiding changes entirely. I've had a number of really insteresting and long chats with VZW CS and that's always nice to feel a part of the "family", and I'm not sure SPCS has the CS manpower for that kind of extravagence.

One thing I've noticed on city outskirts, on too numerous occaisions to be accident, especially suburbs and canyons around the SF Bay Area, is that where I have a poor VZW signal, often analog, I can get a very good Sprint digital signal. Getting a Sprint signal depends upon if I'm using an older VZW handset that I have made a point to not update the PRL, so SPCS is still included for free.

I'm not sure if it helps the OP to decide, but apparently VZW has gone back to including SPCS in the PRL so VZW handsets can once again roam on Sprint in SoCal. That's a very clear indictor that VZW is lacking in coverage and finally faced the facts and let customers roam on Sprint again. I haven't kept up on the PRL updates, as often as I use to however, and VZW can both give and take away in a flash. Without my grandfathered benefits Verizon would not serve my specific needs nearly as well. And that fact that they are becoming ever more restrictive and greedy in their policies and practices, is making VZW much less fun and flexible as it use to be.

I have friends that work for SPCS/Nextel and there appears a general unease around the direction the merger has gone, along with profits and potential job security. It's not a big secret that the Nextel/ SPCS integration has been less than a stellar success.

Sprint has done quite a few things correctly, which is most easy to see by the way their tower deployment seems to pick up many VZW holes, but it's going to take a bit more to give SPCS my vote of confidence (and dollars) in this competitive cell service marketplace.
    -
    Sid

16. Andy

Andy Diamond Senior Member

My Phone:
    HTC Thunderbolt
    Wireless Provider(s):
    VZW, Vodafone D2, Solomo, Swisscom Mobile
    Honestly, Sprint has done a LOT of improvements in Southern California within the last few years. When I had them and visited friends and family scattered around Southern CA four years ago, there were some holes and issues with calls not handing off correctly, but today when I go down there and either force my Verizon phone to Sprint or carry my Sprint phone around with me, Sprint is, in most places, at least as good as Verizon, and even better in some areas(of course there are areas where one will give you full bars and one only three bars but I don't consider that a problem).

vicken, if the SERO plans tempt you(and yes, they tempt me too), sign up and get one, you have 14 days to try it and I HIGHLY doubt you will be unsatisfied with Sprint in Southern California. IF you are ever in an areas without signal or with a weak signal, your phone will switch to Verizon or you can force it over yourself. On a national basis, Sprint has more voice and data coverage than Verizon now...it's just a fact.

17. @TheRealDanny

@TheRealDanny ALL IN

My Phone:
    iPhone X
    Wireless Provider(s):
    T-Mobile USA
    Where is the OP and does Vicken even care anymore? LOL

SERO is a great plan dollar wise per month.

I'm not sure if the low price per month is guaranteed to make everyone happy? I say this because I've worked with customers for so long. Sometimes no matter how good they have it, they want more.

Thinking ahead of what a consumer might present to me if I was a Sprint Nextel representative....

1) Can a SERO customer upgrade their equipment at a subsidized price after the initial activation?
    2) Are customers allowed more than one line with the SERO plan and if so is the subsidy on the equipment offered for each subsequent line?
    3) Is there a seperate Early Termination Fee through Wirefly imposed if the customer decides to cancel after the promotional period?
    4) Do SERO customers pay an activation fee?
    5) Can a customer transfer an existing Sprint account to a SERO account?
    6) Is device protection assistance offered through SERO?
    7) Can SERO customers call the regular CARE group for assistance?
    8) Does Wirefly charge the customer the full retail price of the phone if the customer lowers their existing SERO rate plan to a lower denomination during the balance of the agreement?

Those are just some of the questions I'd have as a consumer armed with the knowlege I've gained from sites like this through the years. I actually know the answers to my own questions for the most part already.

I know in retail, you deal with so many circumstances that could make or break a sale. For some people, even a killer monthly plan can not be justified if the intitial committment requires out of pocket expenses like the cost of the hardware, deposit (if applicable), activation fee and/or first month's proration fees.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  18. larry

My Phone:
    Galaxy S22+
    Wireless Provider(s):
    T-Mobile
    I don't think so.

That is so true. I see this all the time on the various forums. There are also people that are never satisfied with anything and keep switching around on different plans, phones and carriers. Sometimes this can even get annoying. ;)

19. vicken

vicken Junior Member

Wireless Provider(s):
    Verizon
    Sorry I haven't gotten back to everyone, but I chose to go with Verizon. I got 2 LG VX8600's for free and a family share plan with 17% discount on my bill because of my employee discount.

I have had all wireless providers recently (within the last year or so) and I feel that Verizon gives me the most when it comes to customer service, reliability, call quality, etc. all combined together. I also like to travel a lot so that was a factor, I felt that Verizon would be best for me in that situation as well.

Thanks for all the input.

20. rosenthalliou

rosenthalliou Member

My Phone:
    HTC Touch
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Sprint PCS
    give both of them a 30 day test trial and see which one works better.

21. K4S2

K4S2 New Member

My Phone:
    Moto. V710
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Verizon
    On a national basis, Sprint has more voice and data coverage than Verizon now...it's just a fact.[/QUOTE]

Hi! I'm a new member, trying also to decide on Verizon vs. Sprint. I've had Verizon for 10 years...but the new Sprint PIVOT plan interests us. I'm sure the data maps aren't perfect, but Verizon's shows close to full coverage, both voice & data. Sprint's shows coverage only on major highways...with a yellow data coverage marker on major cities -and none inbetween. If we drove from PHX to LA or Bakersfield, I sure would want some Sprint TV (or even Cox TV, if I get PIVOT)...and certainly EvDo most of the way. I've tried it on Verizon...but from the maps, Sprint couldn't provide that coverage.

This thread seems to be saying SPCS could just roam onto Verizon's EvDo. Of course, that wouldn't give any TV -but at least fast Web. I understand both VZW & SPCS have a clause now that says they can drop you from their system instantly, no recourse, if you roam more than 50% for over 60 days. Definitely that's a problem if one's home area or work path includes roaming...

Anyone know the Pivot-enabled phone, the LG Fusic? I've had conflicting reports on whether it has Analog buried within... It's listed as dual-mode... but a phone-tech said it has analog. How can one check on that?

And lastly, how's Sprint voice-signal these days in NW PHX...and on I-10 to LA? I had Sprint under a month in 1997...and got mostly dropped calls. Verizon's really good in Surprise, Peoria, etc -& on that route (voice & data).

Thanks for any input on these concerns...

22. larry

My Phone:
    Galaxy S22+
    Wireless Provider(s):
    T-Mobile

Just to clear a few things up, Sprint will not just drop you from their system if you roam over 50%. In fact I have serious doubts that they have ever enforced this policy. If anything they will give you a warning about excessive roaming but they won't just kick you out. It's simply never happened before and not something to worry about.

Sprint does have EV-DO between Phoenix and LA but it isn't complete. However it is expected to be complete within 2 months. Also Sprint's voice coverage along I-10 between LA and Phoenix (and everywhere else for that matter) is MUCH better now than it was in 1997. You can't even compare that to today.

23. hinano_paradise

hinano_paradise Junior Member

My Phone:
    Blackberry Curve 3G
    Wireless Provider(s):
    O2-UK, Vodafone-UK, AT&T Wireless (USA), O2-IE
    I was very happy to find this thread because I am currently a Verizon customer who is considering switching to Sprint. I go to school in San Antonio, Texas but my family lives in Southern California (Orange County) and that is where I spend my summers. I just have a few questions about Sprint.

Does Sprint have a national billing system? The problem that I have run into with Verizon is that they have two billing systems with one for Pacific and Mountain time and then a separate one for Central and Eastern time. When I go into the store in San Antonio, they have to open up the West coast billing system which they apparently have read-only access to because when they were trying to activate my phone, they had to call several different stores on the West coast to try and get my phone activated.

Also, Verizon has excellent service via their phone support (the *611 people) but their in-store CSRs have been absolutely horrible at the Quarry store in San Antonio and the Laguna Niguel, Rancho Santa Margarita, and Irvine stores in Southern California. In SoCal, the waittimes were long and the CSRs were marginally helpful. The San Antonio CSRs were useless and it required three trips to the store to get them to complete a software upgrade.

Overall, I wouldn't give Verizon stellar marks. I also have had trouble with coverage in Texas. My phone kept switching to analog in downtown Houston...supposedly that is fixed now with my software upgrade.

Anyways, the bottom line is good luck with Verizon. I am probably going to be switching to Sprint or Cingular when my contract is up.

24. Andy

My Phone:
    HTC Thunderbolt
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Your RAZR switched to Analog? I'm not sure how that would be possible since that phone is digital only.

25. @TheRealDanny

@TheRealDanny ALL IN

My Phone:
    iPhone X
    Wireless Provider(s):
    T-Mobile USA
    My Cingular digital phone sounds like ANALOG sometimes! :D :D

26. @TheRealDanny

@TheRealDanny ALL IN

My Phone:
    iPhone X
    Wireless Provider(s):
    T-Mobile USA
    You need a new phone. If you're all digital phone is switching to analog, it has issues! ;) Try a LG.

27. Andy

My Phone:
    HTC Thunderbolt
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Haha! :D Good one! Try forcing your phone to T-Mobile in L.A. They have always worked better for me there, quality wise.

28. hinano_paradise

My Phone:
    Blackberry Curve 3G
    Wireless Provider(s):
    That is what I thought too but Verizon told me that it must have switched to analog since my phone drained so fast and had such poor voice quality. Then again, they also told me that I was wrong when I insisted that I couldn't sync my phone with my laptop because the Bluetooth was crippled... Their CSRs aren't always the sharpest knives in the drawer. I talked to one who didn't even know what the difference between CDMA and GSM is.

The only thing that I can figure is that there must have been a software problem that was forcing the phone to roam even though it was in downtown Houston and roaming on that particular network must have drained the battery and resulted in ____ty voice quality.

29. hinano_paradise

My Phone:
    Blackberry Curve 3G
    Wireless Provider(s):
    I had an LG VX-8100 that I gave to my brother and then I got the RAZR. I've been kicking myself ever since because even though it was a rather ugly phone it got great signal and was a lot more customizable.

30. strunke

strunke .:|Always Covered|:.

My Phone:
    Blackberry 8230, KRZR K1m
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Alltel, T-Mobile, Sprint, Centennial
    You are in AZ? I would seriously consider Alltel as well. Very strong network there, both voice and data....