Welcome to Our WirelessAdvisor Community!

You are viewing our forums as a GUEST. Please join us so you can post and view all the pictures.
Registration is easy, fast and FREE!

Trial Sessions with other Phone Carriers, Porting question

Discussion in 'GENERAL Wireless Discussion' started by Flagheimer, Dec 30, 2007.

1. Flagheimer

Flagheimer New Member

Right now I have Verizon Wireless. Before I had Sprint PCS (way before they teamed with Nextel), I've had the same phone number since I was in high school and I'd like to keep it. I was able to port my Sprint number to Verizon, way back.

My plan with Verizon won't expire until November 2008, but I'm just doing some research right now. I want to test out T-Mobile and AT&T in Colorado -- I hear every carrier has certain trial sessions to test out their service -- so this is what I want to do, see which is the best for me.

My question is, my phone number is eligible to port to both networks (T-Mobile and AT&T). Say for example, I want to test out T-Mobile first, and port my current number to T-Mobile but then decide it's not for me within the trial period. Will I be able to port my number to AT&T and test out their service?

I hear T-Mobile is actually better than AT&T in Colorado, so I may switch back after AT&T's trial period. Will there be any problems porting my number back and forth? I *REALLY* don't want to lose this number.

Thanks.

2. Matt

Matt Twin girls!

Cell Tower Picture Gallery:
    My Phone:
    MyTouch 4G
    Wireless Provider(s):
    T-Mobile
    In your scenario, I don't think you would be able to port from T-Mobile to AT&T and keep your number for free. After your Verizon contract is up, you can port to T-Mobile without a fee. But within your trial period with T-Mobile, if you want to go to AT&T, I'm thinking your only option is to port back to Verizon without a charge. Moving from T-Mobile to AT&T, would be considered a termination of T-Mobile while under contract, in my view. But I don't work for any of the companies so I can't be sure.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  3. charlyee

charlyee Ultimate Insanity
    Super Moderator Senior Member

My Phone:
    iPhone X
    Wireless Provider(s):
    at&t/Airtel/Turkcell
    Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/4.0 (compatible; MSIE 6.0; Windows CE; IEMobile 7.6) UP.Link/6.3.1.17.0)

One way to do it would be to set up new numbers with at&t & T-Mobile for trying them out. Once you decide which is the better provider for you then port your number in from Verizon to that one. You will have two numbers during the trial period but that is a small price to pay to finally end up with your original number.

Hope this helps. :)

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  4. TelcomJunkie

TelcomJunkie Bad Handoff Investigator

Wireless Provider(s):
    Big Brother
    Charlyee has the best way. Just a get a new number, call forward your calls to it while you test it out and once you are ready you can port your number into your existing account with either ATT or TMobile.