Welcome to Our WirelessAdvisor Community!

You are viewing our forums as a GUEST. Please join us so you can post and view all the pictures.
Registration is easy, fast and FREE!

Treo 750 Review

Discussion in 'Microsoft Windows Mobile Phones' started by charlyee, Jul 6, 2007.

1. Jay2TheRescue

Jay2TheRescue Resident Spamslayer
    Super Moderator Senior Member

Cell Tower Picture Gallery:
    My Phone:
    Essential PH-1
    Wireless Provider(s):
    AT&Tingular 310-410
    On a related note I found this: PDAmaster | PDAdb.net - Comprehensive Database of PDA, PDA Phone, PNA & Smartphone Specifications

That is a list of all devices made by HTC. It turns out that HTC is probably the biggest device manufacturer you've never heard of...

-Jay

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  2. azcellphonejunkie

azcellphonejunkie The Cell Phone Junkie

My Phone:
    iPhone 3GS
    Wireless Provider(s):
    ATT, Verizon, Sprint |Prior: Alltel, Nextel
    Doesn't work at home for me either...bummer!

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  3. charlyee

charlyee Ultimate Insanity

My Phone:
    iPhone X
    Wireless Provider(s):
    at&t/Airtel/Turkcell
    Today is my Treo is 7 month birthday (not that it is anything like when it first came out of the box :D). In celebration, I got a 1600mAh battery. The battery is compatible with the OEM door. This is my my first non-OEM battery for any device I have ever owned, so I was a little apprehensive. Doing some research, it turns out there are many happy customers so I decided to get.

I fully charged it last night and according to other users it does need to have 2-3 complete charge/discharge before getting to it's full potential. On the standard battery I can barely go about 12 hours on a normal day, so I am looking forward to seeing if it really will do 33% more so I can easily go 12 hours on a heavy use day.

There are some subtle physical differences:
    1. The edges are not rounded.
    2. The battery is slightly lighter. I am not complaining.
    2. It fits a little tighter against the back cover, actually I like this, with the standard battery there was a slight play and I could here it flex from time to time if I put my finger on just the right spot.

Seidio 1600mAh battery

4. azcellphonejunkie

My Phone:
    iPhone 3GS
    Wireless Provider(s):
    I have had and use the 1600mAh battery primarily, and can tell you it is a blessing for the Treo. It is great not to have to worry about running out of power at that 12 hour point. I do carry the 1200mAh battery in my briefcase, but after 3 months have not needed it ever. I honestly can say that the higher capacity battery is fantastic and I recommend it for anyone that has or is looking to get a Treo. I use Exchange Push email and also have my Gmail download every 15 minutes. Both are big drains, and the 1600 mAh keeps things going without any problems.

I would also point out that it took about 1-2 weeks for me to see the full capacity of the battery.

5. Jay2TheRescue

My Phone:
    Essential PH-1
    Wireless Provider(s):
    AT&Tingular 310-410
    I was thinking about the 1650mAh for my Tilt (biggest you can get w/o a new battery door) but I'm waiting for more user reviews to come in on it. I hope you enjoy your new battery.

-Jay

6. charlyee

My Phone:
    iPhone X
    Wireless Provider(s):
    at&t/Airtel/Turkcell
    AZ, thanks good to know you have/had good experience with the same battery. During the 1-2 weeks did you charge & discharge it completely everytime?

Jay, I think the Tilt has a 1350 mAh battery right? I only see a 1600mAh OEM sized battery for it, that will only give you around 18%, do you think that would be worth it? In the case of the Treo, the OEM battery is 1200 mAh, so in theory that is a good 33% increase.

7. azcellphonejunkie

My Phone:
    iPhone 3GS
    Wireless Provider(s):
    No I only think i discharged it fully once. I don't think this is necessary with Lithium batteries to do this. It seems to be a point of contention amoung folks, but I've never had any problems. I just make sure that each time it goes on a charger, it doesn't come off until the battery is 100% charged.

8. charlyee

My Phone:
    iPhone X
    Wireless Provider(s):
    at&t/Airtel/Turkcell
    Thanks AZ, good to know. I personally believe that deep cycling a Li Ion battery is detrimental. I do deep cycle the first couple of times though.

I have had a lot of phone calls, messaging & a little web browsing. I also did use the Active Sync more than usual in trying to install a new theme for the weather panel and I am at 36%, so I am seeing some improvement already. :)

9. Jay2TheRescue

My Phone:
    Essential PH-1
    Wireless Provider(s):
    AT&Tingular 310-410
    There is quite a lengthy discussion on xda-developers about the extended batteries. The largest for the Kaiser that they have found is a 1650, and a few members have bought them for as low as $14 on Ebay, so its not like it is a big expense. I would like the max available as I am thinking about enabling push email on my Tilt, and I hear that eats a lot of battery. I can't do anything that requires an extended battery door as then it won't fit in my car mount.

-Jay

#69 Jay2TheRescue, Feb 5, 2008
    Last edited: Feb 5, 2008
  10. charlyee

My Phone:
    iPhone X
    Wireless Provider(s):
    at&t/Airtel/Turkcell
    All of a sudden my phone had no ringing sound on incoming calls. All other notifications were fine in the ring mode and everything worked in vibrate mode, including incoming call announcement. This is the second time it has happened, the first time turning the phone off and doing a soft reset brought it back but not this time.

Looking around for solutions I found many. One of the easiest mentioned was putting the Ring Type to Increasing Ring and then doing a soft reset.

I just did that and it seems to have worked. Since it suddenly decided to go away after seven months of no problems, I guess I will have to wait and see if this is a permanent solution.

In the meantime:

I Still Luv My Treo

11. azcellphonejunkie

My Phone:
    iPhone 3GS
    Wireless Provider(s):
    When stuff like this happens, I just do a hard reset. I hate troubleshooting WM, and I have all my cabs on the mini-sd card, so I'm back up and running in 15 minutes.

12. Jay2TheRescue

My Phone:
    Essential PH-1
    Wireless Provider(s):
    AT&Tingular 310-410
    Isn't that special... :inlove:

I (try to) keep my cabs on my storage card as well. It always seems that I'll bump into someone that just "Luvs" an application or other hack I've done to the phone. I can just BT the necessary *.cab files to them.

-Jay

13. charlyee

My Phone:
    iPhone X
    Wireless Provider(s):
    at&t/Airtel/Turkcell
    Wirelessly posted (Treo 750: Mozilla/4.0 (compatible; MSIE 6.0; Windows CE; IEMobile 7.6) UP.Link/6.3.1.17.0)

Lol Jay.

I think of hard resets as a panacea also & do keep most of my cab files on the SD card.

I didn't want to do a hard reset for a couple different reasons:

1. Supposedly a hard reset did not always work for this issue.

2. I was just feeling too lazy to work at restoring it after the hard reset :D

14. charlyee

My Phone:
    iPhone X
    Wireless Provider(s):
    at&t/Airtel/Turkcell
    I found something interesting about the OS in the Palm Treo 750 that I didn't know. I noticed the differences between the OS in my Treo and that in other WM devices but didn't know why.

"Features
    The biggest change from the Treo 680, of course, is that when you turn on the Treo 750 you see the splash screen for Microsoft's Window Mobile 5 instead of the Palm OS.

But this isn't Windows Mobile like you've ever seen before. As part of the deal to bring long-time competitor Palm into the Windows fold, Microsoft opened up the Windows Mobile source code for Palm's modification. This makes Palm the only Windows Mobile licensee permitted to modify the core of the OS, so that enhancements can be built into the OS rather than bolted on as additional layers.
    "

Details:

15. budney

budney Resident Headbanger

My Phone:
    iPhone 6s+
    Wireless Provider(s):
    AT&T
    Thanks for sharing Charlyee. I had no idea it went that far with Palm's version of WM. No wonder my 700wx was so stable & responsive. If I was HTC I would be chomping at the bit for the same access.

16. azcellphonejunkie

My Phone:
    iPhone 3GS
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/4.0 (compatible; MSIE 6.0; Windows CE; IEMobile 7.6) UP.Link/6.3.1.17.0)

I find many things stable, but still have the same old issues from time to time. Take Internet Explorer for example. Why after only 24 hours or so of uptime, do I get only blank pages to load when accessing a site. Also, why does Activestink seem to stall after a certain amount of uptime each day? I am forced to do 1-2 resets per day every day to make it work right. i'm really missing my blackberry at this point...

17. Jay2TheRescue

My Phone:
    Essential PH-1
    Wireless Provider(s):
    AT&Tingular 310-410
    Ummmm, In a way HTC does have that access. HTC makes the WM devices Palm sells... Just ask Charlyee how much she likes her HTC Cheetah...

-Jay

18. charlyee

My Phone:
    iPhone X
    Wireless Provider(s):
    at&t/Airtel/Turkcell
    Sorry to hear you are having problems. I have mine set on automatic reset at 3:00 am per Jay's suggestion and also Advanced Clean with MemMaid at 12:30 pm. I haven't had any of the problems that you have., I have sometimes reset manually but mostly due to to operator error.;)

I would like to have a BB someday. I keep eyeing the 8310 but it's limited browser and PDA turns me off.
    Lol Jay, yes I Luv My HTC Cheetah a.k.a Treo 750, although as far as I know, the open source code was only limited to the Palm products and not all HTC manufactured products.

19. budney

My Phone:
    iPhone 6s+
    Wireless Provider(s):
    AT&T
    Development & design is done by Palm. The only thing HTC dose is produce the the device. So I don't think they have same level of access to the OS as Palm. If HTC has the same level of access they should of figured out how to better manage the memory on their devices like Palm did. I find it funny that my 700wx was quicker navigating the OS and opening & closing apps then my Touch is with twice the memory. I am also well aware of how much Charlyee likes her Cheetah. Even with the age of the Treos I would still recommend them in certain instances. I am impatiently awaiting the new 800w coming in April/June. :)

20. azcellphonejunkie

My Phone:
    iPhone 3GS
    Wireless Provider(s):
    OK, next question. Anyone know the registry hack to disable the startup beep? Doing the reset in the middle of the night sounds like a great option, but I don't want it to wake me up when it comes back on.

21. Fire14

Fire14 Easy,Cheap & Sleazy

My Phone:
    EnV
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Verizon
    That's very interesting, the changes are something MS should look into, thanks for sharing Charlyee

22. charlyee

My Phone:
    iPhone X
    Wireless Provider(s):
    at&t/Airtel/Turkcell
    This is the only thing I have ever seen on this but I have not tried it.

23. Eric47

Eric47 Bronze Senior Member

My Phone:
    crackberry's
    Jay,

have you looked at the Tilts recently? they come with 1350mAh now.

maybe you can do a "battery warranty" and get the 1350 :)

24. azcellphonejunkie

My Phone:
    iPhone 3GS
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Thanks Charlyee,

Looks like this is just for when you turn the radio off, and then back on, but not do a soft reset. I'm looking for the sound that is like "boop-boop" when you come back from a reset. I've had issues finding where the registry location is for it.

25. charlyee

My Phone:
    iPhone X
    Wireless Provider(s):
    at&t/Airtel/Turkcell
    Oh ok sorry, I didn't know which startup sound it was for.

You & I must not have the same system sounds, when mine comes back from reboot, it gives a discrete & muted "ding" which is too soft to wake me up unless it is right next to my ear.

26. azcellphonejunkie

My Phone:
    iPhone 3GS
    Wireless Provider(s):
    I don't mind this sound all that much, but it is tied to the vibrate that happens when the phone comes back on when the ringer is silenced. I get tons of emails in the course of the night, so I turn the ringer off which I have set to not make any notifications when emails come in. However, the phone at 6am after a reset will vibrate on my dresser. I don't mind, but it drives my wife nuts!

27. Jay2TheRescue

My Phone:
    Essential PH-1
    Wireless Provider(s):
    AT&Tingular 310-410
    My Tilt vibrates when it reboots, I don't remember if that's something stock, or did I change that.

-Jay

28. budney

My Phone:
    iPhone 6s+
    Wireless Provider(s):
    AT&T
    I think it's a new HTC thing, both my Mogul and now my Touch dose that. None of my other device ever did that.

29. azcellphonejunkie

My Phone:
    iPhone 3GS
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/4.0 (compatible; MSIE 6.0; Windows CE; IEMobile 7.6) UP.Link/6.3.1.17.06.3.1.17.0)

OK, so anyone know the registry edit to disable it?

30. charlyee

My Phone:
    iPhone X
    Wireless Provider(s):
    at&t/Airtel/Turkcell
    I don't but I do have a work around. It only buzzes or dings if you have a card in the expansion slot. If you can take out the card at night and put it back in the morning, the Treo will not make any sound on it comes back on after a soft reset.