Welcome to Our WirelessAdvisor Community!

You are viewing our forums as a GUEST. Please join us so you can post and view all the pictures.
Registration is easy, fast and FREE!

Treo 750 Review

Discussion in 'Microsoft Windows Mobile Phones' started by charlyee, Jul 6, 2007.

1. charlyee

charlyee Ultimate Insanity
    Super Moderator Senior Member

Cell Tower Picture Gallery:
    My Phone:
    iPhone X
    Wireless Provider(s):
    at&t/Airtel/Turkcell
    I just got the Palm Treo 750. It is all Shizam's fault :p, if he hadn't asked me a Treo 650 question I would never started looking at the Treos. I was perfectly happy with the Blackjack.

I have only had the 750 for just about 24 hours, so this is going to be short & sweet first impressions:

What came in the box:

1. Treo 750 & battery

2. CD with Active Sync, and instruction manual.

3. Headphone

4. Power/Charging cable.

5. Car charger.

1st. Impressions:

1. It is smaller than I expected. The surface area is slightly smaller than the the Blackjack but it is twice as thick.

2. The blue suede like finish has a very nice feel to it and also prevents slippage.

3. The screen is larger than the Blackjack but not as crisp.

Pros:

1. The call clarity is even superior to the Blackjack. HFF, a very favorite friend from WA called yesterday and he was crystal clear. From his end he said I sounded more clear than other times.

2. The earpiece is adequately loud although I have not tried it out in a noisy environmrnt yet.

3. The Speaker is very loud and clear.

4. Great form factor, it is not light but it was not uncomfortable for our long conversation.

5. The keypad is very comfortable and very easy to use.

6. The vibrate is loud.

7. Build quality is excellent.

Cons:

1. The battery drains fairly quickly when messaging & web browsing.

2. The screen is a little dull.

What was very easy to do:

1. Blue tooth pairing with my laptop, Blackjack and 6131.

2. Setting up Active Sync.

I haven't had an opportunity to do too much customization yet, but the little bit that i have seems to be easy.

So far I like it.....:D

To be contd.

Thanks Much.... :)

PS: Since the WM6 upgrade is imminent I am going to hold off on too much customization until then.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
    #1 charlyee, Jul 6, 2007
    Last edited: Apr 8, 2008
  2. josephd

josephd Tomorrow is another day.

My Phone:
    White iPhone 5C 16GB
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Verizon

Nice review Charlyee, I hope you are happy with your Palm although I am a bit surprised you parted with your crappy Sammy.;):D

3. Fire14

Fire14 Easy,Cheap & Sleazy

My Phone:
    EnV
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Verizon
    Wow, I never expected you to get rid of the BlackJack Charlyee, now you have to change your avatar.

Nice review for the short period of time and other then the 2 cons it sounds like a decent phone so far.

How is battery life with calling? I noticed you said poor with messaging & web browsing so I was wondering if it's better during calls & is it worst then the BJ?

Looking forward to further reviews to be posted.

4. Andy

Andy Diamond Senior Member

My Phone:
    HTC Thunderbolt
    Wireless Provider(s):
    VZW, Vodafone D2, Solomo, Swisscom Mobile
    I also never expected you to get rid of your BlackJack, Charlyee! Remember how you always teased me about my device compared to your BlackJack? ;) I thought you had married that thing. ;)

Nice review, I also really like my Treo 700, but I also have the same "Issue" when web browsing and Messaging or streaming music the battery does drain quickly.

5. budney

budney Resident Headbanger

My Phone:
    iPhone 6s+
    Wireless Provider(s):
    AT&T
    WOW!!! Charlyee has a new toy.:)

Can't wait to read the extended review. But what has been mentioned is in-line with how I view my 700wx. My biggest gripe with the WM Treos are with screen quality, it's sub par on the WM Treo units so far. I hope Palm finds better screens for the next generation. I do think it's more then just the resolution that makes them so poor.

6. charlyee

My Phone:
    iPhone X
    Wireless Provider(s):
    at&t/Airtel/Turkcell
    Thanks Joe, yes I am. Now you need to find a different adjective, "crappy" does not rhyme with "Treo". :p
    Thanks Fire, I have not quite parted with my Blackjack yet. :D. Yes, I do need to change my avatar.

The battery life is worse during messaging & web browsing than calling, as Andy also agreed. Overall the battery life is much better than the Blackjack ;), though. I can go for 24 hours on the Treo, not a chance on the Blackjack but then I had two standard batteries & an extended battery for it.
    Thanks Andy, Lol, I was married to it ;). We better find some new grounds to disagree on soon...:)
    Thanks budney, isn't the screen a shame? It is a real shocker for me, specially compared to the 6131 & the Blackjack.

Couple more points:

I requested the unlock code from Cingular Thursday afternoon and it was sent by E-Mail today. :). Ofcourse this being Cingular country, I have to stand on the street corner with a board saying "if you have a non-Cingular GSM phone, please stop" .:D

I am not to happy with the mode switch at the top of the phone, I use it a lot and it is not as easy as pushing and holding down a button .

I do like the vibrate, it is strong enough & of the right duration, the vibrate on the Blackjack was little embarassing in quiet rooms.

I am not not sure, how much longer I can hold off on cutomization, it is driving me crazy.

PS: I should read the manual sometime, this morning I called someone when all I wanted to do was look at the call timer. lol

http://forums.wirelessadvisor.com/microsoft-windows-mobile-phones/59365-treo-750v-review.html

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
    #6 charlyee, Jul 7, 2007
    Last edited by a moderator: Jul 7, 2007
  7. dmapr

dmapr Silver Senior Member

My Phone:
    Pixel XL
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Verizon Wireless; MTS
    Hi Charlyee, the other day you said not to ask — is it OK to ask now? The reason is, I got this iPhone question... :p :D

8. Fire14

My Phone:
    EnV
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Verizon
    :lmao: Gee maybe I should ask a question about the curve.

9. budney

My Phone:
    iPhone 6s+
    Wireless Provider(s):
    AT&T

Yes the screen is a shame. I didn't mind the compromise moving to the Treo from my 6700 as it was buggy as can be. But when I got my Q and now my 6800, I don't know how I did it. :)

Can you post a pic of the button? On my 700wx it is a sliding button ,which is very easy to use. Don't for get to look at my posts in the PPC software stickey for tricking out your Treo.

10. SteveW

SteveW Battery mgmt is my life

My Phone:
    T-Mo G2, LG CU500
    Wireless Provider(s):
    T-Mobile
    It took me a while to get the joke. :O iPhone in Charlyee's future?

But we know you fall out of love after a while. Are you as infatuated with the Treo as you were with the Blackjack or is this a practical move? No harm either way, I'm just curious.

Charlyee -

Thanks for the review. A couple of things I'd be interested in:

- Are all WM5 phones upgradeable to WM6? I remember the old days (5+ years ago) when typically you could not upgrade a Pocket PC/WinCE device from one major version to the next - you had to buy a new device.

- Does the upgrade come from AT&T or from Palm (I assume it's not directly from M$)?

- How fast is Web-browsing on the Treo and how does its browser do with non-WAP sites? The Blackberry browser is not that great with Wikipedia or imdb. The frames confuse it and the Search box ends up way down the page. Inconvenient.

- Have you tried the Office-type apps?

And think of all the cool accessories you can buy now. ;) Have fun with your new toy/companion.

SW

11. charlyee

My Phone:
    iPhone X
    Wireless Provider(s):
    at&t/Airtel/Turkcell
    Ha Ha Ha very funny......:p
    Budney, I think it is the same sliding button as your. I did not word it quite right, it is not hard but inconvenient for me. I am used to holding down a button on the face of the phone when someone walks into my office. Thanks I just started looking at your post, lot's of stuff for me to try out. Be prepared that I maybe bugging you about them :D
    I did play with it, loved the graphics and the styling but it's not for me.
    I would say "no". I am still infatuated with the Blackjack. Having had a succession of WM5 PDAphones, the Treo is not something new for me. I guess I would vote for "practical move.
    Answers in blue:

- Are all WM5 phones upgradeable to WM6? I remember the old days (5+ years ago) when typically you could not upgrade a Pocket PC/WinCE device from one major version to the next - you had to buy a new device. -I don't know if they all are but I have not come acrooss any in the recent past that are not. Btw, my hx2415 was upgradeable from Windows 2003 to WM5.

- Does the upgrade come from AT&T or from Palm (I assume it's not directly from M$)? -Don't know but I would guess from Palm or MS.

- How fast is Web-browsing on the Treo and how does its browser do with non-WAP sites? The Blackberry browser is not that great with Wikipedia or imdb. The frames confuse it and the Search box ends up way down the page. Inconvenient. - The speed is amazing upward of 1.2K. The frames confuse the Treo also but I will be trying out different browsers and keep you posted'

- Have you tried the Office-type apps? - I have only tried EXCEL, which probably matters to me the most. I setup a small wks to capture all my GSM phones & their associated details(you expected my first wks on the Treo to be something different ? lol) and it was easy, but keep in mind I have done this before on my other WM5 devices.And think of all the cool accessories you can buy now. ;) Have fun with your new toy/companion. - How about my Hi Tech Companion? :D

You asked a lot of good questions, and I hope I have answered them to your satisfaction. If not please let me know and I will try again. :)

12. Fire14

My Phone:
    EnV
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Verizon
    Wow what are you saying here Steve, her love for things like phones are short lived? :p

I think the BlackJack was the longest she owned any 1 phone, ;) and I know if I had the ability I would do the same thing, just too expensive to buy new toys every 6 months. :(

13. viewfly

viewfly Mobile RF Advisor

My Phone:
    iPhone XS Space Grey
    Wireless Provider(s):
    AT&T; Tmobile SIM only
    Congrats Charlyee! I waiting and counting down your 30 day trial...:popcorn:

14. zamboni77

zamboni77 Supreme CadGuru

My Phone:
    Droid Turbo BN
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Verizon who else?
    Welcome to the wonderful world of treo's!!!
    I am an avid palm os user, so I have a 650, but its still a treo.

15. charlyee

My Phone:
    iPhone X
    Wireless Provider(s):
    at&t/Airtel/Turkcell
    LOL, yes he is calling me fickle, but to my credit I am always intensely in love with the device I happen to be using at that time.

You are pretty much correct about the Blackjack being the longest. I had the 6230 for 10 months but I had two different versions, one for 6 months & one for 4. I had the Blackjack for 7 months & 24 days. :D

Btw, you asked before, one 54min, 31sec phone call took my battery down from 100% to 76%.
    Thanks viewfly what do you think is going to happen then? :D
    Thanks Zamboni. I have been an avid Palm OS user for a long time starting with The Palm Pilot, been sidetracked for a couple years by WM5.

One thing I really like is the chat style texting I can do on this. :)

Since I complained about the screen, here is a comparison with the Blackjack.

Attached Files:

#15 charlyee, Jul 9, 2007
    Last edited: Jul 9, 2007
  16. Fire14

My Phone:
    EnV
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Verizon
    Well that's good to know on your intensity & not too bad 24% for just about an hour seems like good talk time battery life to me.

As for the Palm user part, I had a few different palm pilots over the years & sold them all to go back to paper.
    Maybe I should reconsider this decision, the only thing that would hold me back is the data plan costs.

17. budney

My Phone:
    iPhone 6s+
    Wireless Provider(s):
    AT&T
    No problem, bug away. :)

18. charlyee

My Phone:
    iPhone X
    Wireless Provider(s):
    at&t/Airtel/Turkcell
    Allright then, here are 3 questions:

1. I am looking at this thread, http://forums.wirelessadvisor.com/m...es/58275-ppc-application-recommendations.html
    but I think there is another one that you started, could you please provide the link to it?

2. Seems like the volume control for the screen taps is the same for all alerts like incoming messages, calendar alarms etc, is there a way to separate these. I would like the screen taps turned off only.

3. I turn the radio off (put it in aeroplane mode) at night, every so often I can not turn the radio back on without a soft reset. This only happens if it is a long duration. What would be causing this?

Thanks much for your help budney. :)

19. budney

My Phone:
    iPhone 6s+
    Wireless Provider(s):
    AT&T
    Hopefully this will help some. :)

20. charlyee

My Phone:
    iPhone X
    Wireless Provider(s):
    at&t/Airtel/Turkcell
    Thanks budney, yes it did. :)

Now, this morning, my POP3 account is receiving E-mail but not sending, I spent 2 hours at the Cingular Store with no resolution except a trouble ticket to check out the server. It has to be their server, if it was my phone then receiving would not work either.

Oh well, I guess I just have to wait and see, I would hate to have to replace my phone at this point. :)

21. Fire14

My Phone:
    EnV
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Verizon

There was an issue with their outgoing server yesterday, it was all over their forums & finally got fixed around 8:30-9:00 PM.
    Hopefully your email started working around this time last night.

22. charlyee

My Phone:
    iPhone X
    Wireless Provider(s):
    at&t/Airtel/Turkcell
    Thanks, yes it was about that time when it started working again.

I got a call from At&T(ok I finally said it :p) this morning and also a follow-up E-mail, verifying with me that my issue has been satisfactorily resolved. As I told our fellow forumite, it somewhat made up for the frustrating time I spent yesterday explaining that it was not my Treo, Roadrunner, or the settings, it has to be the "cwmx.com" that it is not connecting with, since it is only the outgoing.:)

23. donnana

donnana New Member

My Phone:
    8525, Nokia N75
    Wireless Provider(s):
    at&t,isnowCingular,isnowAT&Tagain
    Ok, at Charlyee's request, I'll throw in my quarter's worth on the Treo 750.

It actually began with a 680. My daughter was due for an upgrade, and we went to a corp. store to play touchy feely. She liked the 680 (in orange, but she got silver). Got the refurb for $60 (I'm all over refurbs, love 'em), told her I had to "get it set up" for her first (playtime, for short). Since she had drooled over the iToy with no success, I started searching for the by-this-time elusive iPhoney app. Scored it, and had so much fun playing with that and setting up her email and stuff, not to mention other stuff I felt she just had to have, so much fun that I had to have one. But being a fan of WM, I went with the 750, also a refurb.

The moment I actually held the connected version in my hand, I was determined to hate it. After all, I'm waiting for the HTC Erato. Each day, I told myself "one more day..." While I was drowning in doubt, my inner child was shopping - cases, spare stylii, docking station, apps, you name it. Suddenly I was half way through the 30 days, and I had to admit I kinda liked it (yeahright).

Pros:
    - Tons of fun to dink around with! A little bird (Linda, you in here too?) sent me her collection of goodies to give it the iPhone look, way too much fun having unltd data, so there had to be more apps to make use of it.
    - As Charlyee mentioned, the call quality is amazing.
    - The little typing keyboard that can pop up makes for quick messaging.
    - While I couldn't get it to work with the moto bt, it paired instantly with the jawbone.
    - The stereo w/earbuds is quite nice too (the new Scorpions cd sounds great on it!).
    - My boss wants it. She has Verizon. Nanny nanny.
    - Bubble Breaker. It's my crack.

Cons:
    - I may be missing something, but I simply cannot get *646# send to work. I had to create a contact named MIN in order to check usage.
    - I got a 2.5 to 3.5mm adapter to use with real headphones, but the stereo separation is lost in the adaptation somewhere.
    - I love(d) that moto bt...
    - Still not crazy about the open/vulnerable form factor
    - Gotta charge it every night, and saw the need for a spare usb charger at work
    - That puppy will. not. ring. It'll thump like a disco for every other notification, but it dummies up on an incoming call. There's an audio patch, but it didn't help. I was gonna do a hard reset, but I'll wait for WM6 and leave it on the time out shelf 'til it's out.

Added Feature! Since it charges on my night stand, the down tone (when disconnected from the charger) alerts me to the fact that it's 3am and the storm has just knocked out the electricity!

Ok, chittlins, that's your story. You can ask Charlyee about the iPhone, but pleeeease ask me about the S420, aka Erato. :browani:

24. Fire14

My Phone:
    EnV
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Verizon
    Glad the Scorpions sound excellent on this phone (Gotta love the scorpions)

I don't know why your having an issue with the *646# you are the first I have heard about this.

The adaptor you got, was it a stereo one or mono? that could be the problem if it's not a stereo one.

OK, I will ask about getting the S420 as well. :p

25. charlyee

My Phone:
    iPhone X
    Wireless Provider(s):
    at&t/Airtel/Turkcell
    I am always surprised when someone actually listens to me but then you are new, so maybe that's why. :D. Seriously thanks for the great review.
    -I tried the *646# from mine and it worked fine, I wonder why that would happen?
    -I have a USB spare battery and phone charger at work, a spare battery, a separate battery charger, and ofcourse the vehicle charger that came with it. lol
    - I never had the audio problem. Here is my device information, is it the same as yours?
    Software - TREO750-1.13-ATT
    Hardware - A
    Firmware - 1.17.20.00.

Setting up WiFi was a breeze and I posted the link in this thread.(http://forums.wirelessadvisor.com/m...c-application-recommendations.html#post469281)

PS: I am looking for a case, which one do you recommend?

Thanks Much :)

26. donnana

donnana New Member

My Phone:
    8525, Nokia N75
    Wireless Provider(s):
    (So sayeth Charlyee): I am always surprised when someone actually listens to me but then you are new, so maybe that's why. :D. Seriously thanks for the great review.-
    It's because you axed nicely (and before I was warned about you) :p

- I never had the audio problem. Here is my device information, is it the same as yours?
    Software - TREO750-1.13-ATT
    Hardware - A
    Firmware - 1.17.20.00.
    That sounds right, except it's 1.13-CNG on mine. It's in time out, so it's not with me.

Setting up WiFi was a breeze and I posted the link in this thread.(http://forums.wirelessadvisor.com/m...c-application-recommendations.html#post469281)
    Stupid question - any reason I'd want wifi stateside (other than because I can)? My laptop does that.

PS: I am looking for a case, which one do you recommend?
    I absolutely, positively recommend NOT a Krussel. It's nice, it smells wonderful (leather), but that plastic across the front is so tight I figure the stylus will poke right through any second. I just slapped on a screen protector and got 3 colors of hard plastic rubberized snap-ons. eBay is my other bff.

27. charlyee

My Phone:
    iPhone X
    Wireless Provider(s):
    at&t/Airtel/Turkcell
    Nope none stateside, other than because you can. :p

The last time I went overseas I had a $86.00 + data charge for what seemed very short spurts of WA browsing. So I needed that WiFi.

28. donnana

donnana New Member

My Phone:
    8525, Nokia N75
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Yow - that makes it worth it right there! Wanna time share that puppy? :rolleyes:

29. charlyee

My Phone:
    iPhone X
    Wireless Provider(s):
    at&t/Airtel/Turkcell
    :D For my 4000th. post, I only have one thing to say :D

:inlove::inlove::inlove: I LOVE MY TREO :inlove::inlove::inlove:​

30. Fire14

My Phone:
    EnV
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Verizon
    I am sorry but do you love your Treo is that what I am reading from you here? :lmao: I am glad it's a great phone for you from everything you have posted about it here.
    You are going to make me break the bank & buy one from how much you say you love this phone.

Is this the 1st one you have liked this much? I know you were into the BlackJack big time.