Welcome to Our WirelessAdvisor Community!

You are viewing our forums as a GUEST. Please join us so you can post and view all the pictures.
Registration is easy, fast and FREE!

Travel phone for texting

Discussion in 'T-Mobile Forum' started by rab777hp, May 22, 2010.

1. rab777hp

rab777hp New Member

Hey,
    So this summer I'll be going to South America for a month, and I'll be doing a fair amount of texting but I doubt any calling. I already have a T-Mobile plan and all that, as well as a contract, however I was wondering if anyone could point me to what type of phone I could buy (preferably something I could find on ebay used, and just stick my sim in) that would be optimized for texting, and would work in South America.
    In short: A phone that would work with my t-mobile sim, work in south america, i could buy used and cheap, and has a qwerty keyboard.

-Thanks for any help!

2. Telekom

Telekom Bronze Senior Member

My Phone:
    Nokia 5310, iPhone 3G[S]
    Wireless Provider(s):
    T-Mobile US, Fido CA, T-Mobile NL, Orange IL
    I hope you realize that if you intend to use your T-Mobile account in South America you'll pay 35¢ for each message that you send. As to what kind of phone you should use in South America depending on where you go they use pretty much everything from 850/1900 Mhz phones like in the USA and Canada as well as 900 and 1800 Mhz as used in Europe and Asia. The wisest thing to do would be to get an unlocked quad-band phone and get a prepaid SIM in whichever country or countries you will be in. Using your home contract phone outside of the US will be very expensive for anything but a few emergency calls.

3. rab777hp

rab777hp New Member

Yes I understand the costs, which I'm fine with.
    Would you happen to know what would work for Peru?
    In general do you know of any quad band phones i could get cheaply used that have qwerty keyboards?
    thanks for replying

4. Telekom

My Phone:
    Nokia 5310, iPhone 3G[S]
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Peru uses GSM 850 and 1900 so any phone that works in the US would work in Peru. So you don't need a quad band phone. Your T-Mobile phone will work though I'm not sure why you'd want to use your T-Mobile service there at 35¢/message. Not sure what phone you could get that's a QWERTY keyboarded.

5. rab777hp

rab777hp New Member

For personal reasons I'm fine with that cost per msg.
    However I don't want to bring my own phone as I don't want to lose or damage it (it's G1). I also don't want to accidentally use data...
    So basically any phone for the US that would work with t-mobile that I buy off ebay should work?
    thanks for helping

6. Telekom

My Phone:
    Nokia 5310, iPhone 3G[S]
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Any phone that's used with T-Mobile or any other that's unlocked.

7. rab777hp

rab777hp New Member

Thank you!
    Any suggestions on one's that are easily found cheaply on ebay? I pretty much just want a qwerty keyboard. I guess older phones are good as those would be the type that show up cheap on ebay

thanks

8. The Robot Devil

The Robot Devil Junior Member

My Phone:
    Blackberry Curve 8520
    Wireless Provider(s):
    AT&T
    Check out the Samsung Gravity. You should be able to pick one up on Ebay at a good price. There is also the Gravity 2 ( a 3G version) as well, but it will cost you more.

9. rab777hp

rab777hp New Member

Thanks I'll be checking it out!