Welcome to Our WirelessAdvisor Community!

You are viewing our forums as a GUEST. Please join us so you can post and view all the pictures.
Registration is easy, fast and FREE!

Tracking Useage

Discussion in 'GENERAL Wireless Discussion' started by KevinJames, Nov 14, 2001.

1. KevinJames

KevinJames WA's 1st retired mod

My Phone:
    Samsung S7-Edge
    Wireless Provider(s):
    AT&T & Verizon
    I see this as something newbies would be more interested in, but it may also be helpful for anyone needing to track and pace their useage.

I have designed an Excel spreadsheet that allows you to input your calls as they occur. It then provides the following information to you (after a one-time setup of dates, rates and peak/off-peak times):

Within the current billing period: Accrued unused and used minutes

For example: You are on plan that gives you 300 minutes of peak useage. In a normal billing cycle of 30 days, there will be 8 weekend days (off-peak), leaving 22 days of peak usage. 300 minutes divided by 22 days gives an average of 13 minutes of use per day. Lets say on the first day you use 10 minutes peak. One the second you use 15 minutes peak. By the third day, you could still safely use 41 minutes ((22*3)-(10+15)) and not be digging into your average daily allotment for the rest of the month. (This is especially important to new subscriptions because the first month of useage is prorated. The only safe way to pace this is to use the calculation above.)

For those trying to pace themselves at the outset, this is something you may want to do for just a couple months. For those that are required to track calls, the spreadsheet is designed to span multiple billing cycles.

If interested, feel free to email me. yoda2u@ureach.com

Kevin

2. Halman

Halman New Member

Remeber some carriers bill to the nearest minute...(AT&T)

3. KevinJames

KevinJames WA's 1st retired mod

My Phone:
    Samsung S7-Edge
    Wireless Provider(s):
    AT&T & Verizon
    Hi again, Halman,

Great to have with us (you indicated you were in the industry and we can definitely use knowledgeable professionals).

Since rounded-minute billing is pretty much the standard (except for Nextel??), I did make that assumption in creating the spreadsheet. I also noted that a Verizon employee said that Verizon uses the same split-period billing for calls that start in one period (peak/off-peak) and end in the other (off-peak/peak). (Some Verizon subscribers felt they were charged at the rate of the period the call started in for the whole call.) I have now enhanced the spreadsheet to handle split-period calculations.

Kevin