Welcome to Our WirelessAdvisor Community!

You are viewing our forums as a GUEST. Please join us so you can post and view all the pictures.
Registration is easy, fast and FREE!

tracfone versus freeup by Verizon

Discussion in 'GENERAL Wireless Discussion' started by lilaz, Apr 26, 2003.

1. lilaz

lilaz New Member

My Phone:
    Nokia 2126i
    I live in central AZ in the mountains with lots of steep canyons all around. When I was trying to decide what prepaid service to go with I found that Tracfone was best for my very rural area. The Verizon prepaid and AT&T prepaid don't cover my area except as a roaming area. Therefore, Freeup costs 99 cents per minute and Free2go costs 85 cents per minute. I bought a Motorola v120c trimode phone at Walmart with coupons for Tracfone. I get good reception, strong signal, and local and long distance for 22 -29 cents per minute. That beats everyone else as far as I'm concerned. Right now Tracfone has a special promotion, get a year's service and 150 min. plus double minutes on any refill minute card activated within the next 3 months.

So far I'm very pleased with the coverage. I think the carrier used is actually Verizon because that's the message I heard when I set up my phone. All the reps I talked to or emailed were very helpful when I had questions because the Motorola phone was new in this area for Tracfone.

If you live in an area where you get local coverage from AT&T or Verizon freeup, that's great. But if you live in the sticks like I do, don't be afraid to try Tracfone. I think their rates are very competitive especially if you take advantage of the coupons that come with the phone.

2. jmccrane

jmccrane Bronze Senior Member

If your Tracfone is actually working on Verizon's network (not a Verizon partner) then FreeUP must also be non-roaming there as well. I would check the possibilities on this because you could definitely get better rates with FreeUP if they don't charge roaming.

3. lilaz

lilaz New Member

My Phone:
    Nokia 2126i
    [​IMG] Thanks for the advice. It seems very weird to me, but they make you type in your zip code to check on coverage. For both Verizon Freeup & At&t Free2go it says "sorry no coverage in your area available yet." There are many towns around us within a 2 hour drive that can get coverage but I guess we are too rural still. I even looked at the eCallPlus to see if that might work. They are associated with AT&T and use the same model phones which do not work in our area. For instance Motorola v120c &e will work here but not 120t. The 120t's are recommended for the urban areas and the eCallPlus system.

Maybe one day we too will join the modern age. P.S. We can get regular Alltel, T-Mobil or Verizon service with 2 year contracts; but I'm not interested in the 29.99 per month fee for 2 years. I rarely talk on the phone except to make vet. & doctor appointments, call my husband for a minute, etc. I just wanted something to carry for true emergencies, while driving and while hiking, etc.

Like one gentlemen said in a different message regarding prepaid plans: if you get 600 whenever minutes but only use 100 or so, all the other minutes that go back unused actually make your per minute rate jump up into the 30 cent per minute range (or something like that). I figure I can get by with spending $14-16 per month to get minutes I will actually use. There aren't any cheap plans available now in our area probably because they know our choice is so limited. I figure if I live near a 6800 foot wall of mountains there probably has to be a few trade offs. Of course my view outside is gorgeous!
    Lilaz

4. Airb330

Airb330 Silver Senior Member

Cell Tower Picture Gallery:
    My Phone:
    iPhone 4
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Verizon
    What's your zipcode? We can find out who you are using on Tracfone, and possibly find you a better deal.

5. lilaz

lilaz New Member

My Phone:
    Nokia 2126i
    [​IMG] My zip is 85544. Thanks for all your advice and help. Appreciate the time taken for a true neophyte. Lilaz

6. Airb330

Airb330 Silver Senior Member

Cell Tower Picture Gallery:
    My Phone:
    iPhone 4
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Verizon
    It seems that you are on Alltel. They seem to be the only 800 provider out there (which makes no sense, there should be two). If you are on Alltel (which if you are in digital....then you probably are) then there are two options for you.

Option One: Direct from Alltel 25$ for 100 mins, etc. Basically like a regular plan, so its not too great for you (low talkers), but good for credit challeged people.

Option Two: Simple Freedom I think this is the best deal for you, nationwide coverage, better rates, same service! [​IMG] Click here to check it out....good deal for you IMO!

7. lilaz

lilaz New Member

My Phone:
    Nokia 2126i
    [​IMG]I originally had narrowed my choices down to this plan or Tracfone. I ended up choosing Tracfone because the phone choice was better for me (Motorola 120), longer times between recharging, smaller & lighter weight for hiking and toting around in purse, larger phone book, etc. For the next 1-2 years there are coupons included which bring my cost to 22 cents per minute (long distance included), 44 cents for roaming. The national coverage looks good too which includes Alaska (my friend goes there every summer). My husband travels across the US as a firefighter, so as long as I'm in my home area, long distance is the same as local.

Are there other factors that I'm not aware of right now? The two Nokia phones each company offers look very similar (5180i - Tracfone) (5185i - Alltel). How do they differ in quality? The Motorola is trimode.

Thanks for all the time in investigating this question. Lilaz

8. uberfreak

uberfreak New Member

Both Nokia phones are Tri-mode CDMA phones. About the only real difference is the 5185i also does 1900MHz CDMA (for PCS), while the 5180i doesn't appear to. As far as quality goes, I'd assume they both are comparable to each other. Between the Nokia's and the Motorola, I haven't noticed any particular differences (I used to have a V120c w/Verizon until I switched to Cingular, and I have a 5185i w/Simple Freedom). Functionality is also very similar. While I like the appearance of the Motorola better, I'd go with the Nokia from SF just for the rate (see below).

Personally, I don't much like the concept of Tr@cfone. The idea behind Tr@cfone, as far as I can tell, is that they "piece together" different networks (even networks that use incompatible digital platforms, e.g., Cingular and Verizon). Thus, the way they achieve such a large calling area is through the use of AMPS (analog). Simple Freedom, on the other hand, doesn't do this. The calling area is all CDMA (with a few exceptions of course).

Also, the rate plans are different. Tr@cfone's per unit rate varies depending on how much airtime you purchase, anywhere from $.25/min (with the $74.99 card) to $.60/min (with the $17.99 card). And that's just the on-the-network rate; roaming could be up to $1.20/min if you are a light spender. Simple Freedom has a flat rate of $.25/min on the network, $.50/min off the network, no matter how much you purchase. The expiration period is the same, 60 days, except for Tr@cfone's one-year cards, which are of course more expensive.

9. lilaz

lilaz New Member

My Phone:
    Nokia 2126i
    [​IMG] Thank you for responding. I haven't met anyone in our area that has used Simple Freedom because it's new here (maybe a month old or so). Walmart just started selling the phone and cards about then. Now that I study the maps better, I see how SF can be much better regarding rates (don't have to worry about spending larger amounts to get the best rates) and the local coverage. Tracfone has a central portion of AZ that is my home area. If I leave that area, then I'm roaming.

Your message explained things very clearly to me. I wasn't sure about the trimode handsets. Thanks again. I'll probably use up my coupons this year to get my money's worth out of the phone and cards. I'll consider switching to SF, or buy my husband a phone on this plan since he's the big traveler. Lilaz