Welcome to Our WirelessAdvisor Community!

You are viewing our forums as a GUEST. Please join us so you can post and view all the pictures.
Registration is easy, fast and FREE!

TracFone or Simple Freedom

Discussion in 'Northeastern US Wireless Forum' started by ballazck, Jul 30, 2004.

1. EdwardP

EdwardP Bronze Senior Member

Cell Tower Picture Gallery:
    My Phone:
    Android
    Wireless Provider(s):
    T-Mobile (Deutsche Telekom)
    These are the 2nd and 3rd messages I've seen with excellent comments regarding the Nokia 3585i phone, and it is indeed, an excellent phone. As I referenced earlier in the thread, SF Customer Service is great. When I had the monthly-rate plan with Cingular, if a similar model of Nokia phone had been offered (and had I known the 3585i was a great phone), I likely would have upgraded the 5120i that I had at the time, to a Nokia model similar to the 3585i instead of the LG G4010 (GSM) that I purchased.

The nationwide roaming coverage with SF is also extensive. Given the problems I had with TracFone, I almost wish I knew about SF earlier. Had I not picked up a T-Mobile phone first, I likely would have signed up with SF sooner.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  2. EdwardP

My Phone:
    Android
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Due to an issue with Simple Freedom as reported in this thread, I am giving up on Simple Freedom and may purchase another TracFone.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  3. EdwardP

My Phone:
    Android
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Unfortunately, I cannot recommend the Simple Freedom phone. The second phone (in a week) was returned today. In both instances, the phones would not detect incoming calls.

I am not sure what is causing this to occur in this area. Whether it's because it's an Alltel phone on Verizon's network, is anyone's guess. Alltel's Customer Service was fantastic (A+), they really tried to help in both instances, but everyone seems to be at a loss as to why the phones aren't detecting incoming calls all the time. :headscrat

I decided the phones cannot be relied upon. I also spoke to the wireless sales rep at the Wal Mart where they were purchased, he knew nothing about the SF service, but indicated most people are buying TracFone for prepaid service.

I have reluctantly purchased a new TracFone to backup my T-Mobile service, and so far, the TracFone is working properly. :thumb:

(We need a :crossedfingers smilie.) :D

4. EdwardP

My Phone:
    Android
    Wireless Provider(s):
    I upgraded the TracFone to a Nokia 1100 (GSM phone) and it's fantastic. Call quality and clarity are both excellent, it's lightweight and small enough to fit inside a shirt pocket. :)

In addition, I had no trouble at all transferring the one year of service and remaining units from the previous TracFone to the 1100. Customer Service explained everything. :thumb:

One thing to note - when transferring one (or two) year(s) of service and remaining units from one TracFone to another, the code that Customer Service provides, adds only the units to the new phone, the old expiration date doesn't immediately change. Upon activation/redemption of a new airtime card (including the 40-minute card), the code input for that card, corrects the expiration date as well as adds the minutes from the card.

5. Frank1534

Frank1534 New Member

What Tracfones work on analog? Will the Motorola 120t or Nokia 1221 work?

6. ballazck

ballazck Junior Member

My Phone:
    Nokia 3587i
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Alltel
    Nokia 252 is analog only. course it is a dinosar.

7. EdwardP

My Phone:
    Android
    Wireless Provider(s):
    The 1221 is TDMA/AMPS, so it should work where analog service is available and if TracFone/Cingular has an agreement with that carrier.

FWIW, Simple Freedom just came out with a new phone, the 3587i, which appears to be the same as the 3585i, except for a different faceplate and a color screen.

8. EdwardP

My Phone:
    Android
    Wireless Provider(s):
    The local Wal Mart recently began to offer the Simple Freedom phone packages, both the 3585i and 3587i, for the same price.

Still waiting to see the GSM TracFone at the same store. At last check, they still had the (TDMA) Nokia 1221 and Motorola models.

Early TracFone problems were resolved, no problems with them now.

9. dakota67

dakota67 New Member

The Ones That Don't Like Tracfone Need To Check Out Net10 For More Minutes For The Same 10 Cent Rate & If You Do Get Net10 Phone ,they Need To Call Net10 Customer Service To Get A Free Cingular C4 Pin Card(sim Card)sent To Them Because The Net10 Phone Come W/t-moblie Sim Card That Does Have A Very Very Poor Reception In Most Areas. >>attention <<net10 Is Part Of Tracfone ,the Difference Is Net10 Set-up For You Frequently Call & Use The Cell Phone Alot!! As For Simple Freedom They Don't Have An Activation Fee As Do Alltel (u-pay) As You Go Plans Do At An Alltel Store.net10 & Simple Freedom Are Basically The Same.net10 Comes W/300min. At 10cents Per-min. & S/freedom Is If You Get A 120min Card You Get 200min. At 15cents Per Min.

10. Fire14

Fire14 Easy,Cheap & Sleazy

My Phone:
    EnV
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Verizon
    Wow, another 2 year old thread brought back to life.

11. EdwardP

My Phone:
    Android
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Since the thread was first started, Alltel has discontinued offering Simple Freedom in Verizon service areas.

12. Hatchetman41527

Hatchetman41527 Junior Member

My Phone:
    Sanyo S1
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Sprint, Alltel
    If you are considering Simple Freedom, why not just go with Alltel U???

Alltel has a big interest in Simple Freedom, and uses the same netowrk as Alltel U. You get a pay per day,pay per minute, or pay per month plan and a cheap phone and you're set.

Plus if you get a monthly U plan, you get night and weekend minutes as well as mobile to mobile.