Welcome to Our WirelessAdvisor Community!

You are viewing our forums as a GUEST. Please join us so you can post and view all the pictures.
Registration is easy, fast and FREE!

Tower Prospecting

Discussion in 'Cell Tower Hunting Club' started by Blue_Tech, Jun 13, 2005.

1. Blue_Tech

Blue_Tech Member

My Phone:
    LG VX6000
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Bluegrass Cellular
    Just got back from Clearwater Beach in Florida, and I noticed at least 40+ towers along I-75 through Georgia and North Florida that have NO antennas on them???

Anyone know of a carrier who is preparing for expansion down there? By the looks of the deserted states of the compounds, someone has built them in hopes of leasing the space out. Tall weeds, no buildings, no waveguides, no antennas, nothing! Most of them are freestanding units, but there are a few guyed towers as well.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  2. larry

larry Sprint loyalist and former mod

Cell Tower Picture Gallery:
    My Phone:
    Galaxy S8
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Sprint
    Could they be for use for something else such as radio or emergency services that don't require cellular type panels?

3. Blue_Tech

Blue_Tech Member

My Phone:
    LG VX6000
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Bluegrass Cellular
    Thats a very good possibility, but there were no antenna's at all. No panels, no omni-directional sticks, no parabolics, nothing! No coax either. Currently, these towers are dormant.

A few of them have the mounts on them for cellular type panels, I am very familiar with these since I used to install them for a tower company about 3 years ago. However, panels can still be used for just about anything if the frequency is correct.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  4. hillbilly44

hillbilly44 Senior Member

Word is Cingular is going to use those sites after the integration of AT&T :browani:

5. ShoresGuy

ShoresGuy Euer WA Experte in Europa

My Phone:
    HTC/T-Mobile MDA II PPC
    Wireless Provider(s):
    E-Plus (BASE 12 month flatrate)/Vodafone Germany
    Who owns towers down there? American Tower, SpectraSite or Crown Castle?

6. Andy

Andy Diamond Senior Member

My Phone:
    HTC Thunderbolt
    Wireless Provider(s):
    VZW, Vodafone D2, Solomo, Swisscom Mobile
    Do you think a company like those mentioned above just built these towers hoping someone would rent/lease space on them?

On the other hand, it would seem dumb of a specfic carrier to put up 40+ sites, and put panels on them after erecting 40+ sites...wouldn't it be smarter to go one by one and not erect tons of sites and have them stand empty and useless for such a long time?

7. NYCDru

NYCDru Sprint Newbie

My Phone:
    Motrola V3m
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Sprint, Verizon(former), ATT(former),
    Well. How is the coverage for all cariers there? And how long have those "deserted" sites been there? And also, how long a strech of road are we talking about with 40+ sites? Were they spaced for PCS or Cellular?

8. ShoresGuy

ShoresGuy Euer WA Experte in Europa

My Phone:
    HTC/T-Mobile MDA II PPC
    Wireless Provider(s):
    E-Plus (BASE 12 month flatrate)/Vodafone Germany
    Hard to say whose towers those are. It would be cool to see pictures of these towers. Maybe an FCC database search would answer this question.

9. Blue_Tech

Blue_Tech Member

My Phone:
    LG VX6000
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Bluegrass Cellular
    Well, Bluegrass Cellular showed no service in small parts of central Georgia, and Verizon is our biggest partner...

This was along about 250+ miles of Interstate 75. That's 6.25 miles average spacing, so my guess is PCS. Nortels target range for CDMA Base Stations is something like 5.5 miles.

Judging by the overgrowth at some of the sites, I'd say at least since last summer.

If its pre-emptive tactics for possible exspansion of an existing carrier, the better solution would have been to buy the land and procure the permits and licenses but not build the actual tower itself until the need arises. Its easier to sell land than towers. A Rohn Titan 250 Footer goes for about $20,000 new. Add about another $10K to have a tower crew put it up.

All in all, I was perplexed... Maybe they are not cell towers at all but bungee jumping/base jumping platforms??? :loony: I think we are headed back down there soon, I'll see if I cant get some pictures.