Welcome to Our WirelessAdvisor Community!

You are viewing our forums as a GUEST. Please join us so you can post and view all the pictures.
Registration is easy, fast and FREE!

Tower Importance

Discussion in 'Cell Tower Hunting Club' started by skikipp, Oct 23, 2011.

1. skikipp

skikipp New Member

Hi,

is there a way to find out how important a tower site is?

2. Yankees368

Yankees368 Compulsive Signal Checker

Cell Tower Picture Gallery:
    My Phone:
    iPhones 4S???
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Verizon, Sprint 2002-2010, Voicestream 2001-2002
    In terms of what?

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  3. Telekom

Telekom Bronze Senior Member

My Phone:
    Nokia 5310, iPhone 3G[S]
    Wireless Provider(s):
    T-Mobile US, Fido CA, T-Mobile NL, Orange IL
    A nearby tower is important if you want to use your mobile device. What else did you mean?

4. RadioRaiders

RadioRaiders RF Black-Belt

Wireless Provider(s):
    GSM / WCDMA /LTE
    Sure, if you work for the operator, just log in to the OSS system and you can view statistics about how many calls/connections there are at each site in 15 min intervals (maybe less on some systems). The more calls/connections on the site, the more important it is! If you don't work for the operator, then no, you are SOL and there is really no way for you to know.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  5. skikipp

skikipp New Member

ok Thanks. I own a tower with 14 antennas on it and have a few contracts that are up for renogotiation, so before demanding more money for fiberoptics installations I would like to know how important the site is.

6. Yankees368

Yankees368 Compulsive Signal Checker

My Phone:
    iPhones 4S???
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Verizon, Sprint 2002-2010, Voicestream 2001-2002
    Well most of us here would probably say something like "let them upgrade the tower for free, damn it! We want faster speeds!"

7. RadioRaiders

RadioRaiders RF Black-Belt

Wireless Provider(s):
    GSM / WCDMA /LTE
    There is no way for you to really know. If you have multiple renters (I guess so, with 14 antennas) then maybe in the last "x" years since the lease began some of the operators got new sites in better locations nearby and your site could be "redundant" and not really needed. On the other hand, maybe your site is in a great spot for them and rather than giving it up they would be willing to pay a little more for it. Altho now-a-days operators are looking to cut costs everyplace possible, so I think rent increases are probably off the table in most cases.

It's really hard to say, and now way for you to know. Maybe knowing where other towers in the area are could be useful for you to get a clue if your site is "redundant" or not, but even knowing that still won't give you the big picture. I'd say you could cautiously negotiate, you could try to ask for a little more and see what their reation is. But don't over-play your hand, or they'll walk leaving you with an empty tower and no $.

8. mmillard

mmillard Junior Member

My Phone:
    LG Remarq
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Sprint
    A related question is: How much would it cost your tenant to vacate?
    Building new / relocating old sites can be very expensive, especially if your tenant is a cellular/PCS operator.

By fiberoptics installations I assume you mean on the tower, and not a telecommunciations easement. If the former, then you should definitely charge more rent. If the latter, an easement is pretty standard stuff. Hard to sell tower space unless you have connectivity to the site. I assume you have an easement already (i.e., not relying solely on microwave backhaul). Still, you can request they put an extra or larger conduit in for your next tenants use while they have the earth opened up.

If the leases are under market value, just re-set them. No need to pin it on fiberoptic (in my opinion). They're likely to come back to the table without it, and they you'd have to readjust your whole strategy. As to "importance", there are few towers out there that are truly trivial. I'm a former VP-Ops/Engineering for a major public tower company. If you want to PM me your tower coordinates, I may be able to give you some idea of how important it might be, based on competitive data, location, demographics, etc... Assuming you don't have those tools at your disosal. It would just be a quick look, not a detailed market study, of course.

9. JamesSmith2099

JamesSmith2099 New Member

Good friend that you have own tower but can you tell me that for which you have this facility. I am also searching to provide area to give on rent for tower facility. So how can I do it?