Welcome to Our WirelessAdvisor Community!

You are viewing our forums as a GUEST. Please join us so you can post and view all the pictures.
Registration is easy, fast and FREE!

Touch "vs" Curve question.

Discussion in 'Alltel Forum' started by Buckwheet, Oct 26, 2008.

1. Buckwheet

Buckwheet New Member

I have made the decision to make the jump to a smartphone. I have been looking at the BB Curve. I see that the Touch Diamond is coming out soon. I would use the phone for voice calls, (in spotty reception areas) and for web surfing. The one thing that is very high on my list is using GPS without having to buy the service through Alltel. I have done some research and have come to the decision that the Touch would serve my needs better than the BB. The main question is, does Alltel disable the GPS in the HTC phones like it does in the Moto Q9c? I thought since both were Win OS that might be the case. For the Touch users, how do you like the product?

2. bikebryan

bikebryan Senior Member

Alltel does NOT disable the GPS functions on any of it's phones. What are you talking about?

3. Buckwheet

Buckwheet New Member

According to an Alltel CSR and what I have gleaned from the web. The Motorola Q9c has to have the Alltel navigation subscription for GPS/AGPS to work. Blackberry Curve has the ability to read GPS/AGPS and maps without an Alltel subscription.

#3 Buckwheet, Oct 26, 2008
    Last edited: Oct 26, 2008
  4. MrObvious

MrObvious Senior Member

That's probably crap as far as it being disabled. That said, the Blackberry sucks for web browsing and the Touch Diamond has Opera for that. I think GPS comes enabled and it's enabled by default on the 6800 and Touch.

5. WirelessBeachBum

WirelessBeachBum Soylent Green is People

My Phone:
    Thunderbolt...still
    Wireless Provider(s):
    VZW
    Wirelessly posted (Opera Mini on Alltel HTC 6800: Opera/9.50 (J2ME/MIDP; Opera Mini/4.1.11355/408; U; en))

Other than corprate testers I doubt there are any touch diamond users on alltel just yet... Having used the 6900 touch and 6800 titan on Alltel, I believe you will be happiest with any of the HTC devices over the curve. I will usually sell the curve to end users that are not real tech savvy, as you can usually set them and forget them. There aren't as many configuration options readily available to most consumers...

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  6. bikebryan

bikebryan Senior Member

True you have to have a navigation program on the phone, but it is a WM phone and it should work with ANY Navigation software compatable with the WM version your phone has on it.

7. ctx89

ctx89 Junior Member

My Phone:
    Motorola Droid
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Verizon
    I have had NO problems with my Alltel Touch. Updated to latest firmware 2-3 weeks ago and GPS works great (outdoors) and having Rev.A makes the internet more enjoyable. Email is great, no problems with WM 6.1, and the size is Awesome. Only issue I have is that my fingers are too "fat" for the screen sometimes.

I've been thinking about getting the new Touch that just came out recentley but I might wait 6 months or so.

8. MrObvious

MrObvious Senior Member

You should try Touchpal.