Welcome to Our WirelessAdvisor Community!

You are viewing our forums as a GUEST. Please join us so you can post and view all the pictures.
Registration is easy, fast and FREE!

Touch ID fooled: didn't take very long, just as expected.

Discussion in 'APPLE iPhone, iPad Tablets and all iOS Devices' started by dmapr, Sep 23, 2013.

1. dmapr

dmapr Silver Senior Member

My Phone:
    Pixel XL
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Verizon Wireless; MTS
  2. viewfly

viewfly Mobile RF Advisor

My Phone:
    iPhone XS Space Grey
    Wireless Provider(s):
    AT&T; Tmobile SIM only
    This is what I wrote on another forum:

I see people going nuts over this story without really thinking it through.

Give me your house key, I'll make an impression with some silly putty and then make a copy...presto! I'm inside your home with all your personal stuff or stole your car.

Or spit out some saliva and I'll leave it at the crime scene and frame you.

Of course a real copy of your fingerprint will work. If the Apple ID cannot read a really good copy of your fingerprint...then it probably would have a high error rate reading your real finger.

The idea of the Apple finger sensor is to make it 1) easier to use than remembering a 4 digit code, esp. one that might me your birth year reversed, 2) convert a 3 step process into a 1 step way to unlock your phone...really useful if your use your phone 50 or more time a day and 3) yes, make your phone more secure because a finger print is better than a 4 digit code.

Plus the rate of acceptance probably will be higher than the password method.

It not meant to be fool proof, just a lot better than we have today.

Sent from my iPad mini using Tapatalk Pro

3. dmapr

dmapr Silver Senior Member

My Phone:
    Pixel XL
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Verizon Wireless; MTS
    Or leave your fingerprints all over your phone…
    I really don't know whether it is indeed more secure or not — the real security is not in the guarding of the entry but in the erasure of the data after a number of incorrect attempts which is so inconvenient nobody really wants to use it. In the world of security there's no such thing as convenience :)
    Also, between the latest allegations that the NSA has already gained the access to your phone's data, and the Carrier IQ, is there anything left to gain by locking your phone? :-D

Sent from my GT-I9505G using Tapatalk 4

2 people like this.
  4. viewfly

viewfly Mobile RF Advisor

My Phone:
    iPhone XS Space Grey
    Wireless Provider(s):
    AT&T; Tmobile SIM only
    My personal opinion is yes, there is something to be gained . I really not concerned about the government having access. I can't fight that. But I can protect against the office prank or family or friends using my phone or reading my emails.

Not likely to get a print of usable quality sitting on the phone. It took some effort for that team to make a good copy. And that copy can fool any fingerprint sensor, so it's not a flaw with the Apple sensor.

Sent from my iPad mini using Tapatalk Pro

1 person likes this.
  5. RadioRaiders

RadioRaiders RF Black-Belt

Cell Tower Picture Gallery:
    Wireless Provider(s):
    GSM / WCDMA /LTE
    Sounds like a great opportunity for some Apple to cash-in on some add-on sales: "The new $49 latex-rubber Apple iGlove gives you added security and peace of mind knowing that your fingerprints will never be transferred to your Apple device..."
    :p

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
    1 person likes this.