Welcome to Our WirelessAdvisor Community!

You are viewing our forums as a GUEST. Please join us so you can post and view all the pictures.
Registration is easy, fast and FREE!

To Sprint . . . or not to Sprint . . .

Discussion in 'Sprint Forum' started by TommyB, Nov 26, 2007.

1. TommyB

TommyB Member

Hi Everyone,

My current Cingular plan is up shortly & I've been thinking of switching to Sprint SERO or T-mobile.

Was a Sprint user in the 90's (Sony "handset" phone) & was pretty satisfied except for non-service in a nearby area important to me (so I had to drop after 3+ yrs of waiting to get the hole plugged). Always appreciated Sprint's customer service though (& their previous NO contract committment.)

Been somewhat concerned about coming back if Sprint is "STILL" not up to snuff - especially important issues include - coverage, quality, Sprint/ Nextel merger, customer service issues, etc.

Phones:
    current - Razr v3 gsm (very satisfied & 4.5+ hr talk).
    considering - HTC Touch, Razr 2m, or?

Any thoughts, opinions, insights, etc, etc. will be much appreciated . . .

Best.
    TB

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  2. Gman

Gman Senior Member

Cell Tower Picture Gallery:
    My Phone:
    Epic 4G
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Sprint
    Well there is not much to risk with the deal that SERO is. Larry may be able to tell you , if the zoomed coverage map can not, if your former dead spot with Sprint is a current dead spot.

The 'Mogul' (PPC 6800) is also a popular phone if you need lots of features and capabilities. I am a content Sprint user in San Diego.

G.

3. Kalimotxo

Kalimotxo Bronze Senior Member

My Phone:
    The latest and greatest.
    Wireless Provider(s):
    All of them.
    For the price, Sprint's SERO plans cannot be beat!

4. larry

larry Sprint loyalist and former mod

My Phone:
    Galaxy S8
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Sprint
    If you want me to look up any specific area in Orange County let me know. Sprint has certainly added fill-in sites over the past few years in South OC.

5. TommyB

TommyB Member

Thanks Larry & everyone,

I used to have drops (if I remember correctly - it has been a while)

1) a couple of spots along PCH between San Clemente & Newport Beach (N. Laguna, N. Dana Pt & ???)

2) I-5 through Camp Pendelton (N. San Diego County)

3) Golden Lantern St at Paseo de Colinas (it's So. of Crown Valley Pkwy) in Laguna Niguel

Any other thoughts?

Best.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  6. larry

My Phone:
    Galaxy S8
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Sprint
    I remember them well. All of those spots were fixed between 2003 and 2006. Send me a private message if you want more details.

#6 larry, Nov 28, 2007
    Last edited: Nov 28, 2007
  7. TommyB

TommyB Member

Thanks Larry.

Wow, it sure took them a while to plug the holes - glad it's finally done though.

As a former Sprint customer, can I get SERO w/o a contract?

I initially went with Sprint (mid 90's) & stayed about 4 years because they didn't require contracts, & would still probably be with them if they had plugged those holes earlier. They kept saying - soon, or 6mo - went on for years.

Other than that, I really LIKED Sprint (no contract, generally good service, good peeps in customer service & fair dealing).

Any other thoughts - I REALLY hate the idea of yet ANOTHER 2 yr deal - with ANYONE . . .

2 contracts with Cingular in 8 years is really enough for me - I'm not a huge fan anymore of contractual committments.

Sure, sometimes they're necessary & make sense. But overall - peeps should stay together because they WANT to . . .

Best.
    TB

8. larry

My Phone:
    Galaxy S8
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Sprint
    Sprint didn't begin offering service in Orange County until November 1997. I signed up in December 1997. Nobody you talk to at Sprint will ever be able to tell you for sure when a service hole will be filled. All they can do is tell you soon, or 6 months even though it's probably just BS. Those areas were very tough to fill in. Not a lot of land opportunities and it's difficult to obtain conditional use permits in those areas. But eventually they managed to do it.

To get a great deal like SERO you do need a contract. But you can get other types of Sprint plans without a contract but it will cost you more money.

9. TommyB

TommyB Member

Looks like the old memory isn't what it used to be. Since I have been with Cingular for about 8 yrs now, it must have been only about 2yrs with Sprint. Guess it just seemed like 2x that when you get dropped alot where you need coverage, though I did try & hang in there with them. Other than the holes, fond memories of Sprint.

Thanks for your sharing your knowledge - do you work for Sprint?

Best.
    TB

10. decypher44

decypher44 New Member

Loving this thread! I'm in a similar situation. I live in OC, I currently have AT&T (coverage is great), but I am looking to jump on the SERO plan and get the Q9c. However, with the latest Consumer Reports showing Sprint at the bottom, I'm concerned. I'm also concerned with coverage in my area.

11. Andy

Andy Diamond Senior Member

My Phone:
    HTC Thunderbolt
    Wireless Provider(s):
    VZW, Vodafone D2, Solomo, Swisscom Mobile
    Honestly, I would not worry about Consumer Reports, nor about covering. Generally, Sprint has great service throughout Southern California. The only thing I may be worried about is Customer Service related issues, but definitely not coverage in your area.

12. larry

My Phone:
    Galaxy S8
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Sprint
    Consumer Reports studies are biased towards carrier's that seem to have the best customer service and marketing perception. Those reports are not really based on coverage/dropped calls but more on other things.

13. decypher44

decypher44 New Member

Good to know. Perception is NOT my reality. I care about not dropping calls. Plus, my hope is that Sprint will take this report and make some moves to improve customer service.

14. larry

My Phone:
    Galaxy S8
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Sprint

Right because if they improve customer service and marketing, coverage and dropped calls will automatically be perceived as being better as well. It's all tied together.

15. Andy

Andy Diamond Senior Member

My Phone:
    HTC Thunderbolt
    Wireless Provider(s):
    VZW, Vodafone D2, Solomo, Swisscom Mobile
    You know larry, I don't think that current Sprint customers are leaving the company because they imagine dropped calls or because Verizon is cheaper. Now new customers may be shied away from Sprint because of the less than stellar marketing and "bad" perception, but that still does not explain why even CDMA churn is higher than it should be.

16. Gamer03

Gamer03 Technology Aficionado
    Super Moderator Senior Member

My Phone:
    Motorola X Pure
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Verizon Wireless
    That's very true. Especially since Verizon is definitely not cheaper. For the amount of minutes we use plus text messaging, Sprint is cheaper especially with their data (that is why I have a PPC 6800 with Sprint and not Verizon). When my family and I sign with Sprint next year [see the new contest's thread and my post and the option I chose for the poll (unless Verizon dramatically improves at our house and at my sister's apartment)], we will actually be saving $10 per month before taxes due to Sprint unlimited text messaging (on all lines) being $20 per month, whereas Verizon is $30 per month.

17. larry

My Phone:
    Galaxy S8
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Sprint
    It's not really about dropped calls. It's about everything else. If Sprint had T-Mobile's customer service and Verizon's marketing they would have a very low churn rate. What makes you think that Sprint is losing many customers on the CDMA side because of dropped calls? It's really hard for anyone to say why each customer leaves but I bet it's a variety of reasons. Also Sprint's CDMA side does not really have a very high churn rate like some people think.

18. AnthroMatt

AnthroMatt Big Meanie
    Super Moderator Senior Member

My Phone:
    Apple iPhone 7 Plus
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Verizon
    Sprint's marketing is so bad it is comical.

Sprint is selling themselves as some artsy-fartsy feel-good abstract notion. "Sprint speed" Ugh.

People want cool phones (advertise them like all the other carriers do!) or to see the phones in use for cool things. People are not going to choose a cell company because they dreamed of something as a kid and soomehow Sprint makes that dream possible now.

Likewise, for people with Sprint, they see all the funny or cool ads from every other carrier and they want in on the "fun" so they switch.

If Verizon can keep shoving "network guy" down our throats, it goes to show that Sprint was stupid to ditch the "trenchcoat man" ads. At least those ads made me chuckle now and then. Now I am just embarrassed when a Sprint ad comes on.

19. larry

My Phone:
    Galaxy S8
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Sprint
    Bring back the Sprint trenchcoat guy!!!