Welcome to Our WirelessAdvisor Community!

You are viewing our forums as a GUEST. Please join us so you can post and view all the pictures.
Registration is easy, fast and FREE!

To buy or not to buy, that is the question

Discussion in 'GENERAL Wireless Discussion' started by KevinJames, Aug 18, 2015.

1. KevinJames

KevinJames WA's 1st retired mod

My Phone:
    Samsung S7-Edge
    Wireless Provider(s):
    AT&T & Verizon
    @viewfly: Having worked for ATT, I know they have an escalation process that actually works. If it is not fixed in the next couple days, call 611 and tell them you have an unresolved billing issue that you want escalated. If that still doesn't work, if you personally know (as a personal friend) any active ATT employees, ask them to research the process. It is on their internal (employee-only) website.

JFB likes this.
  2. charlyee

charlyee Ultimate Insanity
    Super Moderator Senior Member

Cell Tower Picture Gallery:
    My Phone:
    iPhone X
    Wireless Provider(s):
    at&t/Airtel/Turkcell
    @eileen8g, hi there longtime.

looking forward to your opinion of the 6s plus.

About the upgrade, the earliest I will be able to is third week of November, by that time I hope to walk into the store and get an unit of my choice.

I am still undecided as to whether I want to wait until 7.

@viewfly, I don't believe I can get qualified for the Apple plan without paying of my NEXT, not possible to run two payments concurrently as you suggested. I wouldn't want to do this anyway. :)

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  3. viewfly

viewfly Mobile RF Advisor

My Phone:
    iPhone XS Space Grey
    Wireless Provider(s):
    AT&T; Tmobile SIM only
    I found that almost nothing is available via Apple installments. No back order either since it must be picked up in store on 9/25.

So my 6S is on its way via ATT Next. My 12 months were up in my 12/20plan!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

4. budney

budney Resident Headbanger

My Phone:
    iPhone 6s+
    Wireless Provider(s):
    AT&T
    Can you give a bit more info on the Apple plan. I am not sure what you mean when you say nothing is available?

5. charlyee

My Phone:
    iPhone X
    Wireless Provider(s):
    at&t/Airtel/Turkcell
    vf, I am confused, why must it be picked up on 9/25. if they don't have the unit you want, why can't it be picked up when they get it?

Congrats on the 6s, let us know how you like it.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  6. viewfly

My Phone:
    iPhone XS Space Grey
    Wireless Provider(s):
    AT&T; Tmobile SIM only
    As you guys noticed about having to pick the phone up at an actual, store, it appears in this phase they had a limited number of available colors, memory sizes available at each local store. I only found 16 Gb models 'undimmed', and no 6Splus, at all to select.

They aren't very wordy, but if you select a model, it will tell you it is not available for pick up on Sept 25, and no option to back order.

I assume this process will change in the months to come. Try it yourself for your store. One can go through it will no commitment.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

budney likes this.
  7. charlyee

My Phone:
    iPhone X
    Wireless Provider(s):
    at&t/Airtel/Turkcell
    Interesting!

Thanks I went through the process and the only two options I got was NEXT or full retail.

Perhaps after launch we will understand the Apple plan better, at least I hope so.

Sent from my iPhone 6 using Tapatalk

8. budney

budney Resident Headbanger

My Phone:
    iPhone 6s+
    Wireless Provider(s):
    AT&T
    I sounds like the 6 launch last year. I ended up going up to Portland in November, and got lucky walking away with my 6+ 64 GB Space Grey. This was with the store saying they had none in stock.

9. viewfly

My Phone:
    iPhone XS Space Grey
    Wireless Provider(s):
    AT&T; Tmobile SIM only
    I think you need to take a different to get there. Look up the installment plan and follow that link to proceed.

10. charlyee

My Phone:
    iPhone X
    Wireless Provider(s):
    at&t/Airtel/Turkcell
    Ah! I have to be on the main site, the Apple Store app does not give that choice.

Any from what I can see right now it's based on next day that they're projected to be in stock and they haven't gone to the trouble to develop functionality to schedule it after then.

Time will tell.

11. viewfly

My Phone:
    iPhone XS Space Grey
    Wireless Provider(s):
    AT&T; Tmobile SIM only

Those words did work in getting swift attention, KJ. Thanks!

But sadly, the situation was made worse since contacting ATT last Monday, and the supervisor unsuccessful in his attempt to fix it today.

Before I called on Monday, they had the wrong Next contract assigned to two family members. An upgrade swap was done a full year ago, but not recorded properly at that time. In April, while dong a Next upgrade on one of those lines, they 'fixed' that error.

But come this week it still was wrong! But I could pay $300 to upgrade the one line, and do a free Next upgrade on the 2nd. Unfortunately the lines were still reversed.

After three long conversations with support, it was 'fixed' again,. Sadly when I try to upgrade any of those two lines, ( and even willing to pay the $300), the web pages gives an error, and say, 'cannot find the hardware associated with those lines'. . Great.

The supervisor fixed it, but after two attempts today, nothing has changed. It fact it is worse.

So the bottom line? Four phone calls of an hour each, and ATT managed to made it worst than before I called.

I don't blame C/S. I blame the back room IT for not following through, or writing really poor coding to process the C/S request.

And if you ask, No, because it's an iPhone preorder, they can't do it, it must be done on line.

So I'm stuck. He said "give it 24 hours to roll through the system" what do they have, mouse wheels for CPU?

I was able to upgrade my own line, but not the two others since they seem to have lost the hardware assignments.

I'll give it 72 hours. If that doesn't work, I'll have to go into a store, but don't expect much.

I so much want to get out of ATT Next and move to Apple. They'll make it work smoothly.

12. KevinJames

My Phone:
    Samsung S7-Edge
    Wireless Provider(s):
    AT&T & Verizon
    @viewfly: The I.T. dept (of which I was a part) is actually top-of-class techs. The problem is the software itself. It has morphed into such a convoluted piece of unmanageable crud due to all the inter-dependencies of the former / new plans.

I know what you mean about device/plan confusions. For some reason my wife's phone got inexplicably set as the main number on the account although I have always had both lines. They never figured it out and I never cared to make an issue because it didn't affect anything of benefit to me.

As a sidenote, about two weeks ago I went into Starbucks to get a Java Chip Frap. I open my phone app to pay and to my horror and dismay, it said I had $0.00. I knew that was wrong. I had to call to corp to get it fixed. Their recording correctly gave my balance, but neither their website not the app would show it. If even something as simple as dollar balance on small retail purchases can get messed up, just think of the more complicated stuff AT&T has to manage on computers. It is mind boggling. One of the many hats I wore for AT&T was server management. Patches were constant!

#42 KevinJames, Sep 19, 2015
    Last edited: Sep 19, 2015
  13. viewfly

My Phone:
    iPhone XS Space Grey
    Wireless Provider(s):
    AT&T; Tmobile SIM only
    @KevinJames. IMO, IT Dept = software responsibility. This is basically a spreadsheet cell data lookup table: customer A, phone#—> ineligible. Wrong, type correction to eligible. Done.

Six days now, and I cannot get around the error that my hardware cannot be found. Still cannot upgrade two phones.

I know you hate Apple, KJ, but they have data tracking for phones not only from ATT, but Verizon, Europe, Asia, China, etc. a hell of a lot more phones to track. Add in iCloud services, iMessage, etc, it's a lot bigger than ATT.

Yet walk into any Apple Store with an ATT purchased iPhone, that say is damaged, within a minute on an iPad they know the imei history ( if you replaced it already), warranty coverage, etc. they walk to the back room, return with a new iPhone, working ATT SIM, and bang you are out the store in 5-10 minutes.

Nothing, nothing has ever, ever,ever happened with ATT LIKE THAT.

14. KevinJames

My Phone:
    Samsung S7-Edge
    Wireless Provider(s):
    AT&T & Verizon
    @viewfly: I'm not sure what point you were driving at. I don't have any loyalty to ATT and I know from personal experience they can mess up royal. I was only stating that my experience with customer service has usually been positive. Regarding my feelings about Apple, I think their products are okay. I don't think much of them as a corporation. But I have honestly tried to tone down expressing my feelings about them. I appreciate the online community here and I have even recently congratulated some on their new iphone acquisition. Just yesterday I offered assistance to a friend considering an iphone. I'm very sorry if I upset you. I know that you are frustrated with the plan mess up. I wish there was more I could personally do. But now that I no longer work for them and the one personal contact I had in the company just retired a few months ago, I'm basically only able to draw on my experience.

15. viewfly

My Phone:
    iPhone XS Space Grey
    Wireless Provider(s):
    AT&T; Tmobile SIM only
    @KevinJames. I'm not angry with you. My point is only that I disagree with you that it is a complicated IT problem. And I know other companies can handle it well, not just Apple.

It's been 7 days now and still screwed up. No word from ATT. nothing. No correspondence.

And the most annoying? It has even a problem year after year,for years.

16. charlyee

My Phone:
    iPhone X
    Wireless Provider(s):
    at&t/Airtel/Turkcell
    Vf, is this a NEXT upgrade you are having problems with?

17. viewfly

My Phone:
    iPhone XS Space Grey
    Wireless Provider(s):
    AT&T; Tmobile SIM only
    C/S has generally been very good I have have defended ATT in the past.

But not on this one issue. It's recurring.

It's not really next. One next line worked. The two I did a swap on a year ago is where the problem is. But yes it is a next.

18. viewfly

My Phone:
    iPhone XS Space Grey
    Wireless Provider(s):
    AT&T; Tmobile SIM only
    Well here is how the saga ended and was resolved!

Listen up!

Called ATT today. Got a good person. They understood the situation. But nope, the upgrade swap that was done a year ago could not be fixed. Even though the hardware was paid for 12 full months (12/20), att goes by the phone line. So I will have to pay $262 to upgrade that phone!

Okay, I said. I was resolved to that 4 days ago...but the online store would not let me pay it off!!!

Ah, the rep can fix that! Took my CC on the phone, reset and viola, now I can see the change to 'eligible '

He was very helpful but frustrated as well. Admitting att did'nt have Next really worked out.

Okay. Stay on the line and let me upgrade through my iPad. Whoops!!!

Still says Att can't find the hardware!

Okay what gives? Ahh. Last month that iPhone broke and was replaced by Apple under AppleCare. So the imei is new and that is the block.

Hmm. Solution? Go to the Apple Store and tell them to fix this hang up.

Now get this! ATT has the record of the exact date of that AppleCare replacement. And indeed ATT has the correct new imei number and assigned properly.

Problem is according to the ATT rep, ATT software can't acknowledge this. It's a known problem they are working on. Causing them lots of headaches. So I have to go to Apple and ask them to fix it for ATT. I'm not exactly sure what I'm suppose to say.

Then the ATT rep has an idea. It's an ATT PROBLEM, not Apple.

So do this and it should work. And it did.

I went to Apple's web page. Ordered the phone 6S, on line. Apple asks me for my ATT Passwords etc. Checks with Att who's says I'm eligible for NEXT upgrade. Bam! Phone ordered.

Done!

Absolutely incredible. Apple should buy ATT.

19. scottb

scottb Bronze Senior Member

My Phone:
    Pixel 7 Pro
    Wireless Provider(s):
    T-Mobile, Visible
    When I read these stories I am glad I can buy unlocked phones and swap them whenever I want. Carriers make things way too difficult.

20. KevinJames

My Phone:
    Samsung S7-Edge
    Wireless Provider(s):
    AT&T & Verizon
    @viewfly: I am both embarrassed for my former employer and sorry that the confusion of the process put you through such a ringer (or, in this case no ring, hahahhahahaha). Glad to hear you were successful in ordering your new toy. I'm still waiting. Now with the possibility of Project Valley being released in January, I just may wait until then.

viewfly likes this.
  21. viewfly

My Phone:
    iPhone XS Space Grey
    Wireless Provider(s):
    AT&T; Tmobile SIM only
    Ill say one surprise. Ordered a 6S just last Wednesday afternoon from ATT. Comes this Friday!

A 6S+ is taking 3-4 weeks, ordered from Apple.

22. Eileen89

Eileen89 Bronze Senior Member

I always pay Full Retail for my iPhones so they come unlocked out of the box. Resell them as like new in a year. Buy new iPhone and repeat, lol.

23. Eileen89

Eileen89 Bronze Senior Member

Yeah, the 6S Plus has a long wait time from the carriers as well. I read on MR that some customers who ordered the 6S Plus won't be getting it till as late as November. That is why I ordered mine direct from Apple on preorder night and will be getting it this Friday.

24. charlyee

My Phone:
    iPhone X
    Wireless Provider(s):
    at&t/Airtel/Turkcell
    Walked into the AT&T store after work and was surprised to hear that they had a varieties of the 6s.

Turned in the 6 and picked up the 6s, in and out in 15 mins.

They wanted me to take them up on their offer of an LTE iPad Mini 2 for $50, I declined.

Sent from my iPhone 6s

KevinJames likes this.
  25. viewfly

My Phone:
    iPhone XS Space Grey
    Wireless Provider(s):
    AT&T; Tmobile SIM only
    Mine was delivered today Fedex around 2pm.

Now we both are on schedule for the iPhone 7 in a year.

Glad yours was easy. So was mine. The one on swap was a different story.

26. kjo

kjo Bronze Senior Member

My Phone:
    Iphone 7 Plus
    Wireless Provider(s):
    AT&T
    I'm the same way right now. I haven't upgraded my phone in years. Excited to get a newer one bit scared I'll spend 400 bucks and be unhappy. I am thinking of the Motorola x pure edition. Looks amazing! However jumping from a 4.5 inch screen to a 5.7 seems scary. And like all the other phones are doing now--- I hate the fact that you can't change the battery! What the heLL! I'm trying to look up more info. My husband is like oh just order it. So confusing LOL
    I

27. KevinJames

My Phone:
    Samsung S7-Edge
    Wireless Provider(s):
    AT&T & Verizon
    @kjo: I have the Note3, which is 5.7" and love it. But I find that what is comfortable for some is way too gigantanormis for others.

kjo likes this.
  28. KevinJames

My Phone:
    Samsung S7-Edge
    Wireless Provider(s):
    AT&T & Verizon
    kjo likes this.
  29. kjo

kjo Bronze Senior Member

My Phone:
    Iphone 7 Plus
    Wireless Provider(s):
    AT&T
    Oh thank you! Not sure how I missed this. I came across where it says Best Buy is selling these. I'm going to call mine tomorrow and see if they have it. Then I can hold it. Try it out. Make sure my hands can handle it but the review was great! Thank you!!!!!

30. palandri

palandri Former Palm Guy

My Phone:
    Pixel 7
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Project Fi
    kjo likes this.