Welcome to Our WirelessAdvisor Community!

You are viewing our forums as a GUEST. Please join us so you can post and view all the pictures.
Registration is easy, fast and FREE!

To buy or not to buy, that is the question

Discussion in 'GENERAL Wireless Discussion' started by KevinJames, Aug 18, 2015.

1. KevinJames

KevinJames WA's 1st retired mod

My Phone:
    Samsung S7-Edge
    Wireless Provider(s):
    AT&T & Verizon
    TO BE a new-phone owner has historically been an exciting time for me. I can tell that is true for many of you as well. So NOT TO BE considering a new phone, even though mine is 2 years old, is actually a disappointment to me. The more I read about the Note5 (filtering out all the fluff) it really is not that great a buy. The next two desirable options (Moto X Style and the new Nexus) also seem like something that I should probably pass up this year. Don't get me wrong, I have the funds, that is not the issue. I am just not that impressed with the miniscule improvements in design and function.

To think that decades after Shakespeare's death, our choices still come down to "to be or not to be" is still the mind-boggling question.

JFB likes this.
  2. dmapr

dmapr Silver Senior Member

My Phone:
    Pixel XL
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Verizon Wireless; MTS
    I haven't been excited about any phones in a long time, but my S4 is starting to get really old, so I'm likely to buy a new phone this year.

3. palandri

palandri Former Palm Guy

My Phone:
    Pixel 4
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Project Fi
    My next phone will be the new Nexus line coming out this fall. Unlocked, unbranded, no bloatware and pure Android OS.

4. RadioRaiders

RadioRaiders RF Black-Belt

Cell Tower Picture Gallery:
    Wireless Provider(s):
    GSM / WCDMA /LTE
    I'm over my 2 year mark with my work phone, so I'm entitled to a new free one, but I have the same problem, there just isn't anything out there that excites me. I keep hearing rumors of a new BlackBerry coming out in the fall, so I'm holding out for that. I just hope they keep BB10 OS on it, and don't switch to Android (like some rumors have been suggesting). I prefer BB10 by a mile over Android. Plus I really dislike the Android 5 (Lollypop) look, too "cartoonish" or "colorful" or something, I prefer a more "serious" looking OS ;)

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  5. scottb

scottb Bronze Senior Member

My Phone:
    Pixel 6 Pro
    Wireless Provider(s):
    T-Mobile, Visible
    I prefer smaller phones so I get excited when the rumors start. My last several phones were the Moto X 2013, Nexus 5, and Xperia Z3 Compact. It's hard to find a good phone with a 5 inch or smaller screen.

I'm looking forward to the rumored Xperia Z5 Compact.

6. KevinJames

My Phone:
    Samsung S7-Edge
    Wireless Provider(s):
    AT&T & Verizon
    I don't mind the colors so much. I remember when Windows XP came out and a teen told his mom the same thing, that it was too colorful! I was authentically surprised that a teen would make that observation. I'd expect that from someone past age 30. When I finally saw a machine running XP, I had to agree. Now, I'm used to the colors. In fact, i've seen some monochrome-colored Android themes that I now think are ugly.

7. our3rotts

our3rotts An Iowa Gurl...

My Phone:
    Google Pixel
    Wireless Provider(s):
    VZN - 4G
    I use a monochrome theme on my S6 - the only color is from the app icons.
    I upgraded a few months ago - had a 2 yo phone and even with it rooted, just wasn't happy with battery life and speed. I wasn't a fan of moving to a bigger screen, but it hasn't been too bad. And, apparently Marshmallow OS will be ready for the carriers in a few months.
    I completely understand why you wouldn't want to switch - the pain of getting used to a new phone & its settings, not worth the hassle for the slight upgrade in speed and tech you *might* get.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  8. KevinJames

My Phone:
    Samsung S7-Edge
    Wireless Provider(s):
    AT&T & Verizon
    @our3rotts Actually "the new phone and its settings" is not the issue with me. I even have a scripted upgrade schedule to ensure my transition from old to new is smooth. My issue is that the new tech doesn't offer enough lures to entice me to bite.

P.S. I know I'll get asked, so my schedule includes backing up some app folders; saving app-specific data files that do not transition easily; saving all user files to my PC (pictures, docs, etc.); removing my MicroSD card; and other steps.

9. our3rotts

our3rotts An Iowa Gurl...

My Phone:
    Google Pixel
    Wireless Provider(s):
    VZN - 4G
    Understood. It was hard for me to make the switch to non-removable battery and no SD slot.
    Google has made the transition so much easier than in the past - I saved some pics and my password keeper backup file to my PC, then made the switch. It has even started saving text messages!

KevinJames likes this.
  10. charlyee

charlyee Ultimate Insanity
    Super Moderator Senior Member

My Phone:
    iPhone X
    Wireless Provider(s):
    at&t/Airtel/Turkcell
    I am in a similar situation with my iPhone 6. Being with the NEXT program it makes sense to upgrade when I am eligible and avoid the hassle of selling on my own etc.

However I have an unlocked device, and need it thus.

The 6s is just a spec bump as the "s" usually is, so common sense dictates that I skip this upgrade, let my 20 months run out, sell the 6 and have the cash for buying an unlocked 7.

So that's what I am looking to do, subject to change of plans anytime of course. :)

Sent from my iPhone 6 using Tapatalk

KevinJames likes this.
  11. KevinJames

My Phone:
    Samsung S7-Edge
    Wireless Provider(s):
    AT&T & Verizon
    Maybe the "s" means "skip" this upgrade, LOL.

M in LA and RadioRaiders like this.
  12. scottb

scottb Bronze Senior Member

My Phone:
    Pixel 6 Pro
    Wireless Provider(s):
    T-Mobile, Visible
    With the Xperia Z5 series announced yesterday, I am looking forward to the small spec bump, but more for the power button/finger print sensor. I wonder how t hat will work. :/

charlyee likes this.
  13. dmapr

My Phone:
    Pixel XL
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Verizon Wireless; MTS
    I've been told by people close to the source that "s" typically fixes everything that went wrong with the non-"s". So 6s+ wouldn't bend, for instance ;)

charlyee likes this.
  14. charlyee

My Phone:
    iPhone X
    Wireless Provider(s):
    at&t/Airtel/Turkcell
    Thanks, that makes sense plus there is usually some feature added, like the fingerprint sensor in the 5s.

PS: How is 6 plus holding up in your household?

Sent from my K007 using Tapatalk

15. dmapr

My Phone:
    Pixel XL
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Verizon Wireless; MTS
    According to my sources the "what went wrong" includes things that "fall off the roadmap" for the non-s model ;) Obviously a speculation on my part, but it's possible Apple has been considering the fingerprint sensor as early as 5.

Went to replace the iSight camera and they told us there was buggy software on the phone and that the factory reset is required to fix it. Since that means that I'll likely have to manually put a lot of stuff back on the phone the factory reset is yet to be performed :)

16. viewfly

viewfly Mobile RF Advisor

My Phone:
    iPhone XS Space Grey
    Wireless Provider(s):
    AT&T; Tmobile SIM only
    Actually I may hold off because

1) I have to replace my iPhone 6 first- it a bit damaged in the metal case

2) I heard the 6S is a tad larger. And I worry my cases won't fit. Normally I get two years out of them.

I'm sure the S models do fix or add a few things that were left out.

Besides the new grey color, it was clear that the 5 had an anodized coating problem that was corrected in the 5S.

Something that Apple never owned up to completely.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

17. charlyee

My Phone:
    iPhone X
    Wireless Provider(s):
    at&t/Airtel/Turkcell
    Vf, you just reminded me that I had two brand new transparent cases, so I switched my leather one out. :D

Back on topic, I am guessing that it will not be so much thicker that one would need new cases but yes that would be a deterrent for me as well.

18. viewfly

My Phone:
    iPhone XS Space Grey
    Wireless Provider(s):
    AT&T; Tmobile SIM only
    Haha, CDG! I agree the thickness should not be a problem. I read that the length and width are more the concern.

19. viewfly

My Phone:
    iPhone XS Space Grey
    Wireless Provider(s):
    AT&T; Tmobile SIM only
    Did you pick up on Apples buying plan? Unlocked new phones every 12months, and it includes AppleCare+

Did I say unlocked?

http://www.apple.com/shop/iphone/iphone-upgrade-program

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

charlyee and budney like this.
  20. budney

budney Resident Headbanger

My Phone:
    iPhone 6s+
    Wireless Provider(s):
    AT&T
    I did, I will keep an eye on this once it starts. Then I may take a trip up to Portland and take advantage of it.

Sent from my Nexus 9 using Tapatalk

21. viewfly

My Phone:
    iPhone XS Space Grey
    Wireless Provider(s):
    AT&T; Tmobile SIM only
    It seems to start on line launch day September 12. So from the comfort of your home.

Conceivably I can keep my current phone as a spare, back up and order a new one. Unlocked, AppleCare and no ATT.

22. budney

budney Resident Headbanger

My Phone:
    iPhone 6s+
    Wireless Provider(s):
    AT&T
    I get that you can order it online, but you need to pick it up at an Apple Store. The closest Apple Store to me is 90 miles away in Portland.

Sent from my iPhone 6+ using Tapatalk

23. viewfly

My Phone:
    iPhone XS Space Grey
    Wireless Provider(s):
    AT&T; Tmobile SIM only
    True. If the popularity of this one is huge, ordering will reserve one though, even if you are late. My Apple Store is just a few miles away.

Yeah, if you wish to wait, then it might be a while. If unlocked supplies are limited.

Either way,another option. Rather buy from Apple than ATT

24. charlyee

My Phone:
    iPhone X
    Wireless Provider(s):
    at&t/Airtel/Turkcell
    :D :D :D
    Yes I did vf but thank you, it's great that Apple is doing that.

Unfortunately I would still have to wait since I have to pay off my NEXT first and I am too broke after getting my Surface 3.

25. viewfly

My Phone:
    iPhone XS Space Grey
    Wireless Provider(s):
    AT&T; Tmobile SIM only
    Probably it will start this way, and then they will deliver to your home as normally happens.

I'm thinking why wait to payoff Att? Seems like Apple will give it to you regardless. And then when the Att contract is paid, sell the phone on eBay. Or keep it.

budney likes this.
  26. charlyee

My Phone:
    iPhone X
    Wireless Provider(s):
    at&t/Airtel/Turkcell
    I am on 11/20 on my NEXT plan, so I would then be making two phone payments for 9 months, correct?

So wouldn't waiting until the 20 months are over make more sense financially?

27. KevinJames

My Phone:
    Samsung S7-Edge
    Wireless Provider(s):
    AT&T & Verizon
    @CDG: You might visit att.com and take the optoin for a live chat or call 611 from your cell phone. I had (up to just a few days ago) what ATT considers to be 4 lines. In reality it was 2 smartphones and 2 wireless hotspots. After completing the two years for the hotspots, I discontinued my hotspot (but let me wife keep her's). During the conversation, the rep asked if I'd be interested in upgrading from 15 to 20GB/month w/rollover. I said "sure." There was no added cost. (Funny thing is, I barely use 2GB/month. But the way they've structured things, if I went down a tier, I would actually end up paying more money than I am now. Crafty them little devils, LOL)

28. viewfly

My Phone:
    iPhone XS Space Grey
    Wireless Provider(s):
    AT&T; Tmobile SIM only
    True, but not "funancially " waiting 9 months.

I'm not sure what I'll do yet. I have one months payment on Next to upgrade or $337 to own. For you it means a newer phone that's unlocked. And on the cycle for the iPhone 7.

Depends if you want to give the old phone to a relative or recoup some money on EBay.

29. Eileen89

Eileen89 Bronze Senior Member

Unless the cases that you both have for your current iPhone 6's, I do not see them not being able to fit on the new 6S. It really isn't that much larger, and from what I've been reading, they will fit. I went and ordered another $6 clear case from Amazon for my 6S Plus. It's also said to fit the 6 Plus and the 6S Plus. It fits and looks really nice on my 6 Plus so I don't see it being a problem with my 6S Plus when it comes. The fit isn't too snug or too loose.

Btw, my crystal ball is showing both CDG and Viewfly with new iPhone 6S's in the very near future! :D

viewfly likes this.
  30. viewfly

My Phone:
    iPhone XS Space Grey
    Wireless Provider(s):
    AT&T; Tmobile SIM only
    yep, it could just a few days before I pull the trigger.

Yeah, I think the cases will fit. I think the lip protection will be a bit less.

However ATT is making it very difficult. I switched family members to do a Next upgrade last year, and after many hours of phone calls through the year, the online info on my account still not correct!!!

Really horrible c/s, but mainly the back room support doesn't follow through.

Most manufacturers are now calling their cases are 6s and 6S