Welcome to Our WirelessAdvisor Community!

You are viewing our forums as a GUEST. Please join us so you can post and view all the pictures.
Registration is easy, fast and FREE!

TMobile Visual Voicemail update Nov 19, 2012

Discussion in 'T-Mobile Forum' started by BradQue, Nov 19, 2012.

1. BradQue

BradQue Senior Member

My Phone:
    Sidekick 4G
    Wireless Provider(s):
    TMobile
    The Visual Voicemail update today is actually a step backwards. It no longer works in landscape view and seems less responsive to the touchscreen than before.

Has anyone else gotten this update?

2. EdwardP

EdwardP Bronze Senior Member

Cell Tower Picture Gallery:
    My Phone:
    Android
    Wireless Provider(s):
    T-Mobile (Deutsche Telekom)
    I have version 3.0.11.1 on my Galaxy Exhibit 2, but the last revision date for the app shows November 7, 2012 on Google Play.

I can confirm that the above version, does not go into landscape view on this phone.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  3. BradQue

BradQue Senior Member

My Phone:
    Sidekick 4G
    Wireless Provider(s):
    TMobile
    Thanks EdwardP. I preferred the look of the older Visual Voicemail myself.

Regardless, I am currently on the countdown to when my TMobile contract expires. Due to the HORRIBLE coverage I experience when traveling through parts of the Carolinas, and the multiple restarts and battery removals necessary to unfreeze our TMobile SK4 phones, I am switching, probably to Verizon, since they have coverage in the areas I travel in and, frankly, offer a more robust line of phones.

If they had a concrete plan to fix the coverage and improve the 4G they already have, I would probably stick with them. Unfortunately, that doesn't seem to be the case and every time I see a TMobile add with that lady on the motorcycle supposedly adding towers all over creation, I laugh because she surely hasn't visited the areas I mention and likely never intends to. 150 miles of no coverage in this day and age is plain unacceptable.

TMobile used to be attractive due to pricing and great customer service but now the other providers are pretty competitive.

4. EdwardP

EdwardP Bronze Senior Member

My Phone:
    Android
    Wireless Provider(s):
    T-Mobile (Deutsche Telekom)
    Wirelessly posted (T-Mobile: : Mozilla/5.0 (Linux; U; Android 2.3.6; en-us; SGH-T679 Build/GINGERBREAD) AppleWebKit/533.1 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0 Mobile Safari/533.1)

Three weeks ago, I ported my number out of Verizon, back to T-Mobile because I found Verizon to be too expensive.

If the rebooting phones are Androids, the problem just might be the microSD card. I've read posts where removing the card has stopped the rebooting and you could also try using a better quality card. I use PNY and SanDisk.

I have been told by a Linux engineer I know, that an Android rebooting once a day, is considered normal. More than one reboot daily, would indicate a problem.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
    #4 EdwardP, Feb 27, 2013
    Last edited: Feb 27, 2013
  5. QLR

QLR RIP Note!

My Phone:
    Samsung Galaxy S8+
    Wireless Provider(s):
    VZW, AT&T based Tracfone, T-Mobile
    Slightly OT, but I don't think a phone rebooting itself daily is normal behavior.

It's probably a hardware or an app issue.

Sent from my DROID RAZR MAXX using Tapatalk 2.

6. RadioRaiders

RadioRaiders RF Black-Belt

Wireless Provider(s):
    GSM / WCDMA /LTE
    The cheaper carriers, like T-Mobile, MetroPCS, etc. focus mainly on city coverage due to the fact they don't have the resources ($ and frequency spectrum) to build a contiguous nationwide network. So they give cheaper prices, but coverage is limited to mainly city areas. Sometimes you can roam on other networks if native coverage is not available, but that is not guaranteed. If you want a carrier with good nationwide coverage, then it's either Verizon or AT&T.

7. BradQue

BradQue Senior Member

My Phone:
    Sidekick 4G
    Wireless Provider(s):
    TMobile
    Thanks all. I think Verizon has a family plan for two phones from about $150, inclusive of 4 GB of data and unlimited talk/text. I have TMobile's unlimited plan for 2 at about $170. Granted, it states unlimited data but truthfully we use about 2 GB/month, tops. My problem with TMobile is the poor coverage when away from major population areas or Interstates, but also their lack of any apparent effort to improve that coverage.

As for my phone"s need for reboots - I don't mean it does it by itself (which is sometimes does). What I refer to is my need to pull the battery, frequently, to reverse a total lockup. This happens on both my phone and my wife's (SK4 by Samsung). One thing for sure, regardless of which carrier I end up with, there are no more Samsung phones in my future. They haven't updated this one since I bought it, unlike Apple which, at least, keeps their phones SW current.

8. QLR

QLR RIP Note!

My Phone:
    Samsung Galaxy S8+
    Wireless Provider(s):
    VZW, AT&T based Tracfone, T-Mobile
    Good luck with your choices. The one thing I've learned about Android devices is that you have to go hard or go home. It shouldnt be that way. Sadly, the SK4 wasn't intended to be a flagship phone and Samsung and T-Mobile basically abandoned it. Apple does support most of its devices.

Sent from the Blanco Beast, SCH-I605

9. BradQue

BradQue Senior Member

My Phone:
    Sidekick 4G
    Wireless Provider(s):
    TMobile
    You're right about the go hard or go home comment. I do like the keyboard but it's just not the phone for me. My observation about the iPhone is that, while not perfect, and missing some features that high end Android phones may have, Apple doesn't leave you out in the cold when new versions of ios come out. Plus, it makes sense for someone who also has other Apple products like iPads, Macbooks, etc.

Thanks for the comments.