Welcome to Our WirelessAdvisor Community!

You are viewing our forums as a GUEST. Please join us so you can post and view all the pictures.
Registration is easy, fast and FREE!

Tmobile to go with smart phone question

Discussion in 'T-Mobile Forum' started by kjo, Jan 24, 2010.

1. kjo

kjo Bronze Senior Member

My Phone:
    Iphone 7 Plus
    Wireless Provider(s):
    AT&T
    Hi everyone. Have been away for awhile. But I have a question and have looked online without being to find a conclusive answer.

I've been looking into getting a used HTC or smart phone of sort that is from Tmobile,etc.

I KNOW that if I was to go straight to the tmobile store that they wouldn't sell me (for examples a G1 outright) as I have to have a data plan---which when you are prepaid you don't need.
    Anyway I'm wondering if I buy a used one would I be able to use it with tmobile prepaid with no issues. I don't care about the data capabilities... I'm really only looking into this type of phone for the much bigger screen/ touchscreen and stuff like that. I know some have wifi--which would be nice to pick up occasionally when out and about and need to check email or a direction on mapquest or something.

If anyone can help me with this I would greatly appreciate it. I know sim cards are independent but I was just wondering as I'm like---is there a seperate thing for the data part to work and the phone won't work without it (like a data sim card only)etc.

THANK YOU!

oh and before I forget I found this on a website somewhere but I'm not sure how accurate this is??
    "Re: Using a Smartphone without the Data Plan

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Here was my approach to using a Smartphone without a data plan -- not for those who need constant connectivity, or who have plenty of money -- but works for me and is inexpensive:

I got a T-mobile Pay as You Go account with its associated SIM card and put enough minutes on it to qualify for Gold status. Now my minutes don’t expire if I keep renewing the card. I then bought a Nokia 5800 unlocked smartphone from Dell for $228 (after rebate and coupon) and put the SIM card in. The phone works great with T-mobile. All calling features, plus my contacts’ phone numbers from the SIM, came over just fine. Text messaging is a breeze too.

The Nokia’s standalone music player, camera, and other bells and whistles work just fine.

When I want to surf the web or check email, I’m usually within range of a Wi-Fi network, which the Nokia handles very easily. No charges there. Out of range, I use Google SMS for weather, movies, restaurant search, airline Flight status -- just search "Google SMS" for that."

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
    #1 kjo, Jan 24, 2010
    Last edited: Jan 24, 2010
  2. Telekom

Telekom Bronze Senior Member

My Phone:
    Nokia 5310, iPhone 3G[S]
    Wireless Provider(s):
    T-Mobile US, Fido CA, T-Mobile NL, Orange IL
    You need to be aware that on T-Mobile prepaid the only data that you get is the limited number of web sites that you can go to such as cnn, bbc news, etc. You cannot go to any place on the web. I believe many of the ports you need to use the net are blocked on prepaid. Also text messages using 4 or 5 digit codes do not work on T-Mobile prepaid.

1 person likes this.
  3. kjo

kjo Bronze Senior Member

My Phone:
    Iphone 7 Plus
    Wireless Provider(s):
    AT&T
    Yes on the tzones it's very limited. Since you can't get internet on prepaid phones anyhow I haven't worried about it.

However from my understanding if I was using a unlocked or never branded phone that is capable of picking up wifi---- I would be able in theory to connect it ie, if I'm sitting at a Starbucks.

Even though prepaid service....I don't think they could stop my phone from receiving a wifi signal.

I've seen several unlocked phones from sony ericsson that I could buy from my local Frys that have the wifi capability, but I don't believe any of them are touchscreen.

I'm not sure I actually need a "smart phone" however they seem to be the only ones that I can find that have big screens,touchscreen, and wifi ability.
    :confused:

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  4. M in LA

M in LA Mobile 28 Years Plus
    Super Moderator Senior Member

My Phone:
    iPhone 13 Pro Max, XS Max
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Verizon (since 1994)
    You are correct. If you wish to use WiFi to connect to the web, you can do so without any restriction. If WiFi is available on any phone, you should have no problem accessing a wireless network regardless which carrier the phone is from.

5. kjo

kjo Bronze Senior Member

My Phone:
    Iphone 7 Plus
    Wireless Provider(s):
    AT&T
    Thank you for that clarification! I started thinking of going this way only because by the time I buy a IPOD for 200 for just the internet and then find a new phone... I would probably be better off having the "all in one" package.
    or so I thought anyway:browani: