Welcome to Our WirelessAdvisor Community!

You are viewing our forums as a GUEST. Please join us so you can post and view all the pictures.
Registration is easy, fast and FREE!

tmobile pre-paid frustration

Discussion in 'T-Mobile Forum' started by tgdn004, Sep 19, 2006.

1. tgdn004

tgdn004 New Member

I seem to be stuck in an endless loop with tmobile customer service, so I was wondering if anyone could give me some advice, or at least a sympathetic eye :)

Long story short: I bought a prepaid tmobile phone for 70 bucks at Target about 3 months ago. Used the phone for a few weeks while on vacation - worked great. Phone then sat turned off for a about a month. Turned it back on a few weeks ago - it told me i needed to add minutes. Ok, fine. I tried to add minutes through a variety of methods (online, over the phone, etc.) without any luck.

Finally got connected to a billing / accounts person, who said that there was an unpaid balance of 75 dollars associated with the phone and that I couldn't add minutes until the balance was paid. News to me!! The 75 dollar balance is under the name of someone I have never heard of in my life.

They then gave me the number of some sort of collection agency (Vesta?) The person there told me there was nothing they could do until the balance was paid. They said that this unknown person had written a bad check. She suggested that I take the phone back and get a new one. Only problem is that I'm likely outside of Target's return window.

I tried again with Tmobile customer service, explained everything, they said "I know it sounds unfair, but try buying a new sim card." I said: "why don't you buy me a sim card?" They then gave me a fax (?!) number that I could send a complaint to.

So, bottom line: I'm stuck with a 70 dollar phone that doesn't work, and can't seem to talk to anyone at Tmobile who can do anything about it. My guess is that someone who previously owned this phone wrote a bad check, and now I'm stuck with the bill.

Is it even worth trying to get Tmobile to send me a new phone, or should I just accept the fact that I'm out 70 bucks?

2. nKrypteD1

nKrypteD1 Software Architect

Cell Tower Picture Gallery:
    My Phone:
    Motorola Droid X
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Verizon
    Actually customer service gave you a good suggestion, a new sim card is what 15 bux or so, walk into any tmob store tell em you have a phone without a sim card and want to use it for prepaid and voilla. Sorry about the rotten luck with customer service thought.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  3. tgdn004

tgdn004 New Member

thanks for the suggestion. i'd rather that they buy me a new sim card since they left me with a useless phone, but i guess it's not worth my time an effort. again, appreciate the help.

4. kjo

kjo Bronze Senior Member

My Phone:
    Iphone 7 Plus
    Wireless Provider(s):
    AT&T
    Wow... I'm sorry to hear you have had so much trouble!
    I love my prepaid T-mobile phone and service..it's been great...
    I see those sim cards on ebay a lot...the little 15 dollar starter ones... if that would help

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  5. BillRadio

BillRadio Wireless Consultant

Cell Tower Picture Gallery:
    My Phone:
    Motorola
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Verizon, T-Mobile, AT&T, Sprint
    If the $15 is a problem, there are lots of SIM cards available on eBay. Those without minutes average about $6 (including shipping), and those with about $30 worth of minutes average about $15. Stuff happens, and it happens to a lot of us.

T-Mobile said they would give me a new SIM card to start a new account, for free. The SIM needs to be 'activated' before it leaves the store, but not necessarily refilled with minutes.