Welcome to Our WirelessAdvisor Community!

You are viewing our forums as a GUEST. Please join us so you can post and view all the pictures.
Registration is easy, fast and FREE!

TMobile in North (and South) Carolina

Discussion in 'T-Mobile Forum' started by BradQue, Nov 1, 2006.

1. BradQue

BradQue Senior Member

My Phone:
    Sidekick 4G
    Wireless Provider(s):
    TMobile
    Does anyone have an idea (or rumor for that matter) as to whether TMobile will ever move into the Carolinas?

I use a TMobile in North Carolina (roaming on SunCom I suspect) and it works fine but would be interested in learning if they will ever become native in these states.

Thanks,

Brad

2. clock3687

clock3687 Cell Signal?????? Use it!

Cell Tower Picture Gallery:
    My Phone:
    Google Nexus S
    Wireless Provider(s):
    T-Mobile
    AFAIK they dont have any plans to expand out in the carolinas. They just renewed roaming agreements with Suncom, so itll b a lil while b4 they persue it.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  3. UFO

UFO Bronze Senior Member

My Phone:
    Palm Centro
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Sprint and alltel
    I think they actually are suppose to but it will be a while. In the last AWS auction they bought airwaves in the Carolinas for spectrum. But Clock is right about them renewing roaming with SunCom. So it appears that the Carolinas are in their long-term projection but I wouldn't expect anything for at least a couple of years. If you're looking for a native provider for some reason or another, it might be best to look elsewhere. I can also say that SunCom is definitely not known for great coverage, but if it covers you where you are then I'm sure it's working out great!

4. Jay2TheRescue

Jay2TheRescue Resident Spamslayer
    Super Moderator Senior Member

My Phone:
    Pixel 4a 5G
    Wireless Provider(s):
    AT&Tingular 310-410
    I know when I was on vacation on the outer banks of NC this past summer I did find native TMO service when I did network searches, almost to the tip of Hatteras island. I don't recall seeing any TMO service on Ocracoke or on the ferry though.

-Jay

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  5. Matt

Matt Twin girls!

My Phone:
    MyTouch 4G
    Wireless Provider(s):
    T-Mobile
    All T-Mobile users hope that TM just buys Suncom and fixes that problem :D

Unfortunately, we've been hoping this would happen for many years. :(

6. QLR

QLR RIP Note!

My Phone:
    Samsung Galaxy S8+
    Wireless Provider(s):
    VZW, AT&T based Tracfone, T-Mobile
    TMobile just covers a few regions in the Carolinas... I know that in SC, they are native in North Augusta/Aiken and Hilton Head/Beaufort areas. If the OP lives in those areas, they can get and use TMobile:D Maybe TMobile is waiting for Suncom to go bellyup:p

7. CWick

CWick Bronze Senior Member

My Phone:
    L6, V3
    Wireless Provider(s):
    AT&T
    I had always thought T-Mobile roamed on Cingular in the Carolinas....guess not.

8. UFO

UFO Bronze Senior Member

My Phone:
    Palm Centro
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Sprint and alltel
    They did, but for some reason they ended that not long ago and now just roam on SunCom through most of the Carolinas.

9. clock3687

clock3687 Cell Signal?????? Use it!

My Phone:
    Google Nexus S
    Wireless Provider(s):
    T-Mobile
    From what I heard, Cingular ended all roaming agreements in the carolinas. They used to allow roaming on suncom, but due to the integration of the cing/att network, they feel that they have no need for it.

10. Jay2TheRescue

My Phone:
    Pixel 4a 5G
    Wireless Provider(s):
    AT&Tingular 310-410
    Hmmm, maybe they just bought spectrum on the outer banks so they didn't have to pay for their customers to roam while on vacation at the beach?

-Jay

11. BradQue

BradQue Senior Member

My Phone:
    Sidekick 4G
    Wireless Provider(s):
    TMobile
    Thanks for all the responses. I suspect it's correct that TMobile isn't planning any incursion into the Carolinas anytime soon. I've seen Cingular come up on the screen once in a while when roaming with TMobile in upstate SC, but lately it's always Suncom, especially in the coastal areas of the NC mainland.

Verizon works pretty well in these states but they have such uninteresting phones, expensive plans, and big brotheresque controls imposed on certain features I was hoping to consolidate to TMobile but guess I'll wait.

Brad

12. UFO

UFO Bronze Senior Member

My Phone:
    Palm Centro
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Sprint and alltel
    Verizon works so well in the Carolinas mainly because of their roaming agreements with USCC and Alltel. All in all, I think Alltel does even better in the Carolinas than Verizon because there's fewer places with a weaker signal, especially in eastern NC. They also don't have the expensive plans and big brotheresque controls, but they do lack even moreso with their phone selection. With the recent buyout of a carrier in NOVA that might be another option. Between SunCom, Alltel, Verizon, Cingular, USCC and Sprint, that's about it for the Carolinas. Actually I guess that's more options that most other states have. :wink:

13. BradQue

BradQue Senior Member

My Phone:
    Sidekick 4G
    Wireless Provider(s):
    TMobile
    Thanks UFO, I suspect you are correct about the Carolinas having a pretty good selection of cell providers.

I've just recently become aware of the fun factor associated with TMobile's products and like some of them (the Dash and the MDA specifically). Problem is that I spend a lot of time in NC and would probably be roaming much of the time and loose some of the very features that drew me to TMobile in the first place.

This all started when I installed a webcam in my home in NC. I can't view it on any Verizon phone - old v710 or new Razr. However, it comes in fine on a 2 year old TMobile Sidekick, as well as a friend's Sprint. Verizon tells me they block this sort of thing since it "uses too much tower capacity"...which sounds stupid to me but hey, it's their technology.

14. CWick

CWick Bronze Senior Member

My Phone:
    L6, V3
    Wireless Provider(s):
    AT&T
    I travel in NC and SC quite a bit, and have been happy with the Cingular coverage.

15. Jay2TheRescue

My Phone:
    Pixel 4a 5G
    Wireless Provider(s):
    AT&Tingular 310-410
    Yes, and I also forgot to mention that I was on the internet with my V551 tethered to a laptop driving the whole way through from Va to Fl. Cingular did just fine.

-Jay

16. BradQue

BradQue Senior Member

My Phone:
    Sidekick 4G
    Wireless Provider(s):
    TMobile
    Thanks.

TMobile's attraction is that they allow me to do things without interjecting a big brother attitude, like view my home security IP camera where Verizon doesn't - their reason: "Too much bandwidth would be used if we allowed web cams to be viewed."

Makes no sense to me, especially since I am paying extra for Internet service which, last I checked, was the vehicle by which webcam images were transmitted.

17. Jay2TheRescue

My Phone:
    Pixel 4a 5G
    Wireless Provider(s):
    AT&Tingular 310-410
    Oh, don't even talk about Verizon being Big Brother. No webcams yes, but on top of that, No registering old phones on their network, No registering phones they didn't sell originally on the network, No using Bluetooth for anything other than wireless headsets, No buying ringtones or any other media from anyone else but them... The list goes on & on. I don't see myself ever signing up for their service.

-Jay

18. BradQue

BradQue Senior Member

My Phone:
    Sidekick 4G
    Wireless Provider(s):
    TMobile
    I'm starting to see the same things you mention. Problem is that if someone switcha to whoever else, it'll probably end up being the same story, just a different song.

I am surprised that TMobile hasn't even hinted an intention to enter either North or South Carolina or both though.

19. Jay2TheRescue

My Phone:
    Pixel 4a 5G
    Wireless Provider(s):
    AT&Tingular 310-410
    Well, I've been very happy with Cingular. They don't restrict me. If Cingular had Verizon's policies I would not be able to use my Motorola A845 on the network. I use Bluetooth for whatever I want, and I put my own ringtones on the phone without buying them from my carrier. The only features that Cingular locked was manual network selection and the roaming icon. I have since unlocked both features on all of my phones except my iPAQ.

-Jay

20. BradQue

BradQue Senior Member

My Phone:
    Sidekick 4G
    Wireless Provider(s):
    TMobile
    Well that sounds like a reasonable way to treat customers. I suspect that TMobile is pretty similar. Maybe one day they will get some sense and embrace their southern roots in the Carolinas.