Welcome to Our WirelessAdvisor Community!

You are viewing our forums as a GUEST. Please join us so you can post and view all the pictures.
Registration is easy, fast and FREE!

Tin Foil Myth....

Discussion in 'Northeastern US Wireless Forum' started by Cingular GSM User, Feb 25, 2005.

1. Cingular GSM User

Hi,

I was wondering since when you put tin foil on radio antennas and TV antennas, which in turn makes the reception better; would this be true for cellular phones (especially in rural areas).

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  2. Fire14

Fire14 Easy,Cheap & Sleazy

Cell Tower Picture Gallery:
    My Phone:
    EnV
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Verizon
    No.
    There are companies that sell repeaters for homes that don't require wires hooked up to your phone & people have said they work very well.

3. RichXKU

RichXKU Once had +5 dBm RSSI

My Phone:
    Motorola i870
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Nextel
    You can purchase an external antenna for your phone if it has an external antenna jack. You can improve signal by 3-10 dB depending on antenna gain and coax/connector quality. By the same token, you can reduce signal if you buy cheap!
    Check cellantenna.com

Note that only antenna adapters that make a metal to metal connection will actually work. Wire loops or plastic to plastic "induction" types will not do anything.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  4. bobolito

bobolito Diamond Senior Member

My Phone:
    iPhone SE
    Wireless Provider(s):
    T-Mobile
    Wireless repeaters give you the most flexibility, but are VERY expensive, although coming down in price. I remember seeing one for about $300 bucks on Ebay (Buy Now price).

5. Fire14

My Phone:
    EnV
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Verizon
    I know if they don't add a tower or antenna's to where i suggested, I may go for one of these when the price comes down some more, I can use my phone in the house, but there are a couple of area's that I can't & this would solve my problem. They are way cheaper then the prices of 600-700 when they 1st came out.

6. wgray8231

wgray8231 I don't work here.

My Phone:
    iPhone 4 (temporary)
    Wireless Provider(s):
    AT&T
    Are these technology specific? Could I get one that boosts the VZW and SPCS signal in my part of the building? Would it also boost GSM or not?

7. Fire14

My Phone:
    EnV
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Verizon