Welcome to Our WirelessAdvisor Community!

You are viewing our forums as a GUEST. Please join us so you can post and view all the pictures.
Registration is easy, fast and FREE!

Timing on buying a phone

Discussion in 'Sprint Forum' started by sbtsone, Jun 1, 2011.

1. sbtsone

sbtsone New Member

I am a long time customer of Sprint with 3 phones on one plan,and I currently own a Blackberry Curve which I want to update. Now, although I have had a number of phones, I always seem to change right before a much better deal comes along from Sprint. I am not trying to find the absolute bottom of a market, but I seem to be their trigger for when to change prices. Examples are I have bot a phone and the next week they dramatically reduce the net price or have some promotion.
    I don't follow the Prices or deals usually, but I want a new phone and figure it should be a 4g. We already have one EVO and they charge us for 4g, although it is not in Phoenix where we live. Rumor has it that will be in by August.. Can that be checked?
    Finally, here is my question. Is there a better time than others to buy a phone or a specific model? As an example, if they really do introduce 4g service in August, will they run specials in my part of the country? Or, is there a time when it is more opportune to buy a phone than another?

2. AnthroMatt

AnthroMatt Big Meanie
    Super Moderator Senior Member

Cell Tower Picture Gallery:
    My Phone:
    Apple iPhone 7 Plus
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Verizon
    Sprint won't run any specials on 4G devices once 4G goes lives in Phoenix. The exception may be on USB modems, but certainly not on handsets.

As for your August date...who knows. I am also in Phoenix, and until last month had been a Sprint customer for 6 years. I was told 4G would be here in the fall of 2010, then winter 2010, then spring 2011. I suspect it will be closer to fall 2011. The good news is that there is some 4G around town now. The launch is far from official and it is very spotty coverage, but that means it is at least on its way sooner rather than later.

I think if you are certain you are going to stay with Sprint, 4G or not, there is not much incentive to wait unless you are interested in the EVO 3D phone which should be out this summer (maybe June?).

Sprint is notorious for higher phone prices and they rarely put anything on special. If you have a Best Buy near you, they are probably your best bet. If you find an advertised price for less than what you paid at Best Buy within 30 days of your purchase, Best Buy will match it.

3. HTC Evo 3D

HTC Evo 3D New Member

My Phone:
    HTC Hero
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Sprint
    Yes the Evo 3D will be out on the 24th. You won't have to worry about something better coming out this year I don't think. If your happy with the old Evo the prices will probably go down a lot after that new one is released.

4. crood

crood Senior Member

My Phone:
    Samsung Moment
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Sprint
    I'd advise watching the release dates for new models. That will usually lead to an existing model going down in price as it's being pushed down the ladder in terms of features. If you are someone who likes the latest and greatest, then it doesn't matter much because you'll always pay a premium for that.

Usually, you'll see a number of new handsets made available for Christmas.