Welcome to Our WirelessAdvisor Community!

You are viewing our forums as a GUEST. Please join us so you can post and view all the pictures.
Registration is easy, fast and FREE!

Timely Android Updates Not Happening

Discussion in 'T-Mobile Forum' started by BradQue, May 13, 2012.

1. dmapr

dmapr Silver Senior Member

My Phone:
    Pixel XL
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Verizon Wireless; MTS
    LOL, having never seen it written in English (only heard) I was wondering about that, but was too lazy to look it up. Good to know :)

I don't believe I ever said that iOS is locked down for development, and at least Apple stopped collecting a $100 fee just to get the SDK. And I insist that Android is much easier to get your teeth in even for a professional. The learning curve is much shorter and you only need to acquire tools, not hardware in the majority of cases.

2. viewfly

viewfly Mobile RF Advisor

My Phone:
    iPhone XS Space Grey
    Wireless Provider(s):
    AT&T; Tmobile SIM only
    That is alright., C or S, as long as it flies.

I never said that YOU said it was locked down. But others here do talk about the 'open' Android and the 'Closed' iOS, and it is a ''worn thin' statement. I'm just pointing out that apps for each OS can be programmed by those interested in doing so, and that Apple doesn't hold the master key. Impression of ease of doing so is not really relevant to the point. Clearly non-professionals do so, including 9 year olds (albeit very bright ones!). I know one guy still in college that wrote an iOS app, and has made $$$. Others amateurs just do so for their pleasure and pastime, w/o regard to monetary gain. It is just fun for them to learn.

Enough said. Time to get back to work.

3. RadioRaiders

RadioRaiders RF Black-Belt

Cell Tower Picture Gallery:
    Wireless Provider(s):
    GSM / WCDMA /LTE
    Software updates are nice, but certainly not something to bow down to :confused: ...altho maybe in the "Cult of the Mac" everyone gathers around the software alter and bows in praise to Master Jobs for his latest bits and bytes? :D:p

...oh, and yea, if a product is 3 years old but still being sold, then I guess most companies would still support it software-wise. I don't think Apple is unique in that. Altho after 3 years usually companies have new products and don't continue to sell older (ie: outdated) ones.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  4. charlyee

charlyee Ultimate Insanity
    Super Moderator Senior Member

My Phone:
    iPhone X
    Wireless Provider(s):
    at&t/Airtel/Turkcell
    I have seen update schedules for Motorola HTC, and Sony. As I mentioned before Samsung is notoriously late with updates. One of the other issues is that your Sidekick has officially been retired by T-Mobile, so yes unfortunately you have been abandoned.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  5. BradQue

BradQue Senior Member

My Phone:
    Sidekick 4G
    Wireless Provider(s):
    TMobile
    Wow. I guess I opened a can of something with my original post. Thanks for all the comments in response to, and relating to, my post about Android updates.

I don't hate the phone (T Mobile SK 4G) but do hate the lack of support from either T Mobile or the manufacturer. Owning both iPads and iPods, I am impressed with Apple's continuous fielding of updates and see the same taking place with the iPhones as well.

Hopefully in the future, someone, possibly Verizon, will be selling a 4G iPhone with a plan that isn't equal to the monthly payment on a BMW 5 series, and I'll be able to make some better choices as to how to go forward.

Brad

6. Eileen89

Eileen89 Bronze Senior Member

Owning both the iPhone 4S and the New iPad 4G I am also impressed with how well Apple keeps their devices updated. :)

As far as a 4G iPhone, the next iPhone that comes out on all of the wireless carriers will be a 4G/LTE device. Pricing of it should match the current price point of the iPhone 4S.

Sent from my iPhone 4S using Tapatalk.

7. EdwardP

EdwardP Bronze Senior Member

My Phone:
    Android
    Wireless Provider(s):
    T-Mobile (Deutsche Telekom)
    Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (Linux; U; Android 2.2.2; en-us; HUAWEI-M835 Build/HuaweiM835) AppleWebKit/533.1 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0 Mobile Safari/533.1)

Join the club...

Huawei released a software upgrade for the M835 on metroPCS back in February, but the Android version remained 2.2.2 afterwards.

It is possible that some of these Android models simply cannot run newer versions of the software.

What I was hoping to see out of this upgrade was a potential fix for the M835 rebooting when it roams on the PCS 1900MHz band, specifically when roaming on Sprint. It will reliably reboot at least once an hour when it roams.

Sadly, "the fix wasn't in"...

#37 EdwardP, May 27, 2012
    Last edited: May 27, 2012
  8. BradQue

BradQue Senior Member

My Phone:
    Sidekick 4G
    Wireless Provider(s):
    TMobile
    After re reading the comments in this thread, I am more convinced than ever that Apple is the only manufacturer committed to timely support, Samsung certainly isnt. My Samsung SK4, barely a year since it was introduced, is hardly an over the hill phone; however, not a day goes by when I don't have to remove/replace the battery. My wife's does the same so it isn't my particular phone. I conclude that the problem is with Samsung and not TMobile and hope that they get the iPhone (perhaps the mythical iPhone 5) by the time I am upgrade eligible since I'd prefer to stick with them, especially if what I am hearing about planned network improvements by 2013 is correct.

9. QLR

QLR RIP Note!

My Phone:
    Samsung Galaxy S8+
    Wireless Provider(s):
    VZW, AT&T based Tracfone, T-Mobile
    I have to say that Samsung is committed to their Galaxy line of phones. Although the Sidekick isn't over the hill in your eyes, the lack of support from the carrier doesn't bode well for the phone. What OS is the Sidekick on? If it's on 2.2 (Froyo) you may as well forget it. If it's 2.3, odds are slim that you will get upgraded to ICS (4.0).

Not all phones or carriers are perfect. You have to make a wise choice and hope for the best. Yes, even the mighty Apple supports its ancient phones, but some of those older phones won't get all of the latest and greatest features either (I. E. NO Siri on the iPhone 4)

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2

10. QLR

QLR RIP Note!

My Phone:
    Samsung Galaxy S8+
    Wireless Provider(s):
    In the case of my phones, Verizon and Motorola were slow on putting out a date for the update of the RAZR line to 4.0. Next thing you know, Motorola said it would be Q2... They barely got the update out in time (6/30)

HTC Rezound came out with its upgrade not too long ago.

And we have LG being silent about its ICS upgrade schedule.

All of this and 4.1 just came out recent... Which current devices will get it? Lol

11. BradQue

BradQue Senior Member

My Phone:
    Sidekick 4G
    Wireless Provider(s):
    TMobile
    Thanks for replying. Yep, it's using Froyo. By my reckoning, that's several iterations behind the current version of Android. I suppose it's the manufacturer, not the carrier which is all the more reason Apple is looking more attractive for the next phone. I suspect the iPhone is less prone to lockups as well. I hope so anyway since their batteries can't be pulled out for a cold reboot.

12. QLR

QLR RIP Note!

My Phone:
    Samsung Galaxy S8+
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Yep. It is safe to say that Samsung has ditched the Sidekick. And anything running on Froyo won't be seeing any OS upgrades. You will be lucky if there are any maintenance updates to resolve any bugs. I would chalk this up as a (expensive) learning experience and move on. It is a shame that Samsung released a phone with Froyo LAST YEAR. Most High End android phones are good for at least 1 OS upgrade... I guess Samsung and T-Mobile considered this as a niche product and didn't care enough to support it in their efforts to push the greatest line of phones. I have learned to buy phones/devices with the latest OS (so it has a fighting chance of being updated).

13. budney

budney Resident Headbanger
    Super Moderator Senior Member

My Phone:
    iPhone 6s+
    Wireless Provider(s):
    AT&T
    I would go as far as to say buy a manufacture's flagship phone to have any real chance in getting updates. Even phones that have similar specs to the GSIII, RAZR/MAXX, One X tend to get forgotten very easily. :(